S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible rear wheel bearing failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012 | 03:04 PM
|
Default Possible rear wheel bearing failure?

Out on the road I hear what sounds like a roar coming from the right rear wheel. I'm guessing it may be a wheel bearing or half shaft issue.

It sounds as if I'm riding around with the right rear door opened. (I'm not ) I thought it might have been a dragging rear brake pad but I'm not noticing any additional heat coming from the wheel and it's reasonably cool to the tough after driving.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

Old 05-23-2012 | 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

No, but the bearing would be my bet in the absence of other data. With luck someone else will suggest ways to tell.

The following users liked this post:
barcheta (06-11-2012)
Old 05-29-2012 | 05:58 PM
|

Looks like i was right. Rear wheel bearings. I have quotes all over the place. One guy wanted $530 per side.... I was born at night but it wasnt last night. Another british car specific wanted a more reasonable $625 for both sides..... providing that is the real issue. Is there a special tool required to press the new bearings in? I told one mecjanic no and that was on later model jags. Was I right?

Old 06-11-2012 | 09:20 AM
|

I decided to take this on myself. I have none of the special tools but since it seems like others have gotten this to work without them I figured I'd give it a try. I have a lift so that helps immensely.

I didn't follow the procedure in JTIS exactly but I am to the point where all that is keeping me from getting the hub assembly off is the upper A arm bolt and separating the hub from the drive shaft. Is there any special trick for getting the nut loose on the upper A arm bolt? I used a a pair of vice grips to keep the ball joint from turning but now I'm at the point where I don't have enough metal stud to grip onto and the bolt turns freely when trying to loosen the nut.

Someone suggested I need to compress the hub and A arm together with a C clamp to keep the ball joint from moving then I should be able to get the nut off the rest of the way.

Also do I need a hub puller to get the hub off the driveshaft? Or will a few blows of a dead blow hammer knock it free?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-11-2012 | 02:50 PM
|

So out of 150 views only JagV8 has any insight?

Old 06-13-2012 | 08:06 AM
|

So in spite of the enthusiastic responses in this thread I managed to get the hubs off.

A gear puller and some judicious torque managed break the spindle free of the hub.

The new bearings will be pressed in today.

I did notice that the bushings on the rear lower control arms are pretty well shot. The rubber is ripped and the grease inside is exposed. I noticed a few threads that talk about this but no one had any real insight in regards to replacing them. Is there a consensus about how do this or should I just leave them alone?

Old 06-13-2012 | 08:48 AM

Well unless you wanted enthusiastic encouragement, despite viewing your thread I had nothing to add as I have never had my hubs off.

I am glad to hear that you are making progress.

Old 06-13-2012 | 09:01 AM
|

Thanks Norri!

Old 06-13-2012 | 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Probably worth a read of the UK forum's Definitive Wishbone Bush thread.

The following users liked this post:
barcheta (06-13-2012)
Old 06-16-2012 | 07:02 AM
jya

Originally Posted by barcheta
So in spite of the enthusiastic responses in this thread I managed to get the hubs off.

A gear puller and some judicious torque managed break the spindle free of the hub.

The new bearings will be pressed in today.

I did notice that the bushings on the rear lower control arms are pretty well shot. The rubber is ripped and the grease inside is exposed. I noticed a few threads that talk about this but no one had any real insight in regards to replacing them. Is there a consensus about how do this or should I just leave them alone?
I don't know what Stype you have as I am on my phone, but while you have the rear arms off you should replace the bushes as well. From what I remember not all of the 3 hydra bushes are available, assuming you have NA car, if you are able check my posts on this topic.