S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to upgrade front door component speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by subvertbeats
Digging a bit further I'm not convinced I have teh premium sound system.
The fact that it doesnt sound great isnt leading me to this conclusion since most of you with premium sound feel the same.

What is making me doubt having premium sound is that I see folks refer to DSP settings that I either dont have or dont know how to access.

All I seem to be able to get in that area is simple controls for Bass, Treble, F to R fade and L to R pan (accessed by pressing the 'mode' button next to the volume dial)

Any pointers?
The radio still has the tone controls.

Easy and definitive way to tell. Open the trunk. On the left side, there's a door that has the equipment rack. CD changer, DVD nav drive, and audio amplifier (IF the car has the features). If there is no audio amp in the bracket, then you don't have the preimum system.

Most of the cars that have it also have the //alpine logo on the front door speaker grills.

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
subvertbeats (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks George, and greenhornet

So:

- I have DVD navigation
- No controls on touch screen for DSP functions (where should they be?)
- Hatch in boot (trunk ) contains only DVD nav unit.
- No CD changer in hatch
- No Amp in hatch
- No Alpine logo on speaker grills.

My conclusion is that I dont have premium sound.

I do have a Parrtot MKi9200 fitted for BT handsfree and iPod/USB control.
This uses the HU telephone input.

I have a 10" JL Audio sealed sub, and a nice 200W Directed amp from an install in a previous car.
I need to buy front component upgrades.

Given I seem not to have premium audio, what is the best way to upgrade here?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks George, and greenhornet

So:

- I have DVD navigation
- No controls on touch screen for DSP functions (where should they be?)
- Hatch in boot (trunk ) contains only DVD nav unit.
- No CD changer in hatch
- No Amp in hatch
- No Alpine logo on speaker grills.

My conclusion is that I dont have premium sound.

I do have a Parrtot MKi9200 fitted for BT handsfree and iPod/USB control.
This uses the HU telephone input.

I have a 10" JL Audio sealed sub, and a nice 200W Directed amp from an install in a previous car.
I need to buy front component upgrades.

Given I seem not to have premium audio, what is the best way to upgrade here?

Thanks in advance for your help!
You must have an interesting across the pond setup. Satnav was married to premium audio stateside. If you do, then you just have 4 5x7 speakers wired directly to the headunit.

Good news, you can replace everything after the headunit using just a simple line out converter, bad news is you're stuck with the head unit (since it has the nav and climate controls).

You probably need to at least add a 4 channel amplifier when you change the speakers if you expect any sort of decent audio quality.

Take care,

George

Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks George - appreciate it, I'll investigate further and keep you informed

Out of interest whats your background in audio? You seem pretty knowledgeable on theory as well as car audio application.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks George - appreciate it, I'll investigate further and keep you informed

Out of interest whats your background in audio? You seem pretty knowledgeable on theory as well as car audio application.
I have a Ph.D in Electrical Engineering. My involvement in home and car audio, as well as home theater is strictly from a hobbyist perspective. But I've been involved / active in it for at least 15 years.

Take care,

George

Old 03-30-2011, 02:56 AM

Thanks George, good stuff.
I work as a mastering engineer.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Premium Systems

George is correct in most of what he says, I sort of dissagree with small part, in the hatch pocket with the equipment (NAV, CD, etc.) A Amplifier is not a visible item, at least not what you think an Amp would look like, you don't really see an Amp like in stores, Crutchfield. Basically you wont see it, So based on the things you have, I do think you have the premium system minus the CD changer.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Default Amplifier

Sub, I don't recall if that is your picture of the Speaker setup, but it shows on that Diag. the Amp. setup and connection to the system. Again, it does not show you how the Amp. looks and where the Amp is located.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

It does have cooling fins on it. But to clarify, the Alpine amp is the top unit pictured here in the rear electronics stack. If you have the Alpine stereo you will have the amp in the trunk:

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Possible to upgrade front door component speakers?-amp1.jpg  
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Default X-Type Alpine System

Mine did not look like this, but I did have premium system, so I can't explian why the difference.

Originally Posted by androulakis
It does have cooling fins on it. But to clarify, the Alpine amp is the top unit pictured here in the rear electronics stack. If you have the Alpine stereo you will have the amp in the trunk:

Take care,

George

Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Is yours 2000-2002? They have the Ford / Jbl system in them... The ford radio, separate nav on a small screen next to the radio if you had it... Speakers for "ambiance" in the edges of the center console.

Completely different setup than the more modern 03+ cars.

Take care,

George

Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Default X-Type Radio

Possible it could be something like this going on, As far as I know, my 2003 X-Type 3.0 had a Alpine system. I'm sure it was, speakers labled Alpine, Radio labled Alpine, Unfortunately I can't run out and look at face setup again. Do me a small little favor please, just take a quick snap shot of your radio face plate and send, just curious.

Is yours 2000-2002? They have the Ford / Jbl system in them... The ford radio, separate nav on a small screen next to the radio if you had it... Speakers for "ambiance" in the edges of the center console.

Completely different setup than the more modern 03+ cars.

Take care,

George

Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greenhornet
Possible it could be something like this going on, As far as I know, my 2003 X-Type 3.0 had a Alpine system. I'm sure it was, speakers labled Alpine, Radio labled Alpine, Unfortunately I can't run out and look at face setup again. Do me a small little favor please, just take a quick snap shot of your radio face plate and send, just curious.
Did you just say X-Type? Completely different setup.

We're talking about the S-Type here. Or are you saying your S-Type doesn't match. The radios in 03+ X's And S's Make NO distinction if they are alpine or not. (Either do the Nav screens), BUT Here in the USA I don't think you could get Nav without the premium stereo....

It would be VERY interesting if you could, because that means that the speaker level outputs on the nav screen are still active, even though it sends audio on the d2b fiber network to the Alpine amp. That means with a line out converter or something more like a JL audio cleansweep, you can build an aftermarket audio system around the factory Nav screen as the source unit.

Take care,

George

Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Default Alpine Radio

Dissregard taking that picture, I have a pic (Radio) of mine in my profile pics.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Default Stereos

That sounds like whats going on here.

It's funny how sometimes things that would seem soo simple can get soo frustrating. When I changed out the stock equipment, it was not the easiest thing in the world to do, but it was doable.

Did you just say X-Type? Completely different setup.

We're talking about the S-Type here. Or are you saying your S-Type doesn't match. The radios in 03+ X's And S's Make NO distinction if they are alpine or not. (Either do the Nav screens), BUT Here in the USA I don't think you could get Nav without the premium stereo....

It would be VERY interesting if you could, because that means that the speaker level outputs on the nav screen are still active, even though it sends audio on the d2b fiber network to the Alpine amp. That means with a line out converter or something more like a JL audio cleansweep, you can build an aftermarket audio system around the factory Nav screen as the source unit.

Take care,

George

Old 03-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I fully agree that the Rear speakers do NOT need to be replaced. Spend your money where it matters. Do the front first, fade the stereo forwards a bit, and then have a listen. If you insist that the car needs rear speakers then go ahead and do it.

Where are you in Jersey? Come have a listen to my car if you're close to the Mercer county area. It's all aftermarket, EXCEPT for the stock rear speakers running off the headunit. I bet you if you have a listen you'll forget your desire for rear speakers.

If you don't want to do a sub in the trunk, at LEAST get a couple good JL 6.5 infinite baffle subs and replace the rear deck speakers.

Take care,

George
Hi George I've been following this thread and I thought it would be adequate to ask this question here regarding the rear deck subwoofers. Whomever had my STR before had removed the OEM two 6.5", plz see attached pic, it looks like they made the cutouts bigger to 8" on both sides instead of 6.5". Would you recommend these Pioneers https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...597%26sr%3D1-1

as good replacements or do you recommend something else in a 8" FREE AIR sub. I don't want a separate box in my trunk, I just want to have it seated as OEM.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Possible to upgrade front door component speakers?-p1000134.jpg  

Last edited by jag79; 03-30-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag79
Hi George I've been following this thread and I thought it would be adequate to ask this question here regarding the rear deck subwoofers. Whomever had my STR before had removed the OEM two 6.5", plz see attached pic, it looks like they made the cutouts bigger to 8" on both sides instead of 6.5". Would you recommend these Pioneers https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...597%26sr%3D1-1

as good replacements or do you recommend something else in a 8" sub. I don't want a separate box in my trunk, I just want to have it seated as OEM.

Thanks.

I did a setup like that for a guy in an S_Type.

Two things here.

First the Alpine Amp doesn't have enough power to push 2 8" subs. If you are going to do this you need to add an additional amp.

Second, you need a set of "free air" or more properly known, infinite baffle subs. These are subs specifically designed to be mounted without an enclosure. but rather in an "infinite baffle" setup such as the one you are showing here.

My personal favorite is the JL Audio 8IB4. I did a set of them in the rear deck of my e36 m3 and people couldn't believe the car just had 2 8" subs in it. I dont think they make them anymore but I think they make a new version now.

You can also go with something like this:

2 O2 AUDIO 8" MIDBASS FREE AIR SPEAKERS/MID-BASS SUBS | eBay

Get about a 100wpc amp, and you'll be suprised at how it sounds.

Take care,

George

jag79 (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

If you're on a budget these are decent too:

Dayton Audio DCS205-4 8" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Take care,

George

jag79 (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Woww...thanks George! Is it imperative that I hook up an additional amp, or if I stick with the Alpine amp it won't sound right? I'm like clueless with electrical stuff and won't have an idea how to hook an additional Amp up Also is that low budget 8"sub a free air type?

So basically its just plug and play? The only issue I'm having now is finding the darn wires that are attached to the amp. The previous owner cut the wires it looks like but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Do you happen to have a pic or diagram showing where the wires branch off from the AMP to the Subs?

Take Care buddy.

Last edited by jag79; 03-30-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

If you're on a budget these are decent too:

Dayton Audio DCS205-4 8" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Take care,

George
George I found Oxygen 8" cheaper on Amazon $53 a piece.
the Amazon.com: Brand New O2 Oxygen Audio Om8-100 8" 200 Watt Mid Bass Speaker **Free Shipping*: Electronics

I never heard of this company before are they that good? I'm guessing they are better than the Daytons which you suggested?

Quick Reply: Possible to upgrade front door component speakers?