Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly Clogged Fuel Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Possibly Clogged Fuel Filter?

Hi Everybody,

I'm here for help again. I was a bit low on fule 1/8-1/10 of the tank. Shutdown my car just fine, turned it back on it gave some weird strong jerks. Turned it off, tried again same thing, did it again and same thing kept it on for a 15-20 seconds and after a lot of jerks engine shut of again automatically. So seems like everything was working fine but engine is starving for fuel. Brought some Gallon gas and poured in the tank. Started again but the same problem.

Now some times car starts but turns of after some jerks are trying hard to be smooth.

No engine light or what so ever. Fuel light was not yet turned on. (I drove even in Fuel Light on 2 times before without any problems). I can also hear fuel pump making some noise.

Ran and brought Fuel Filter. I think as fuel tank was low so some particles and garbage had clogged filter?

Going to put the new filter tomorrow to see if makes any difference.

Do you guys any suggestions to check/do besides putting the new fuel filter?

Thanks a lot for your time and answers.

Best Regards,
Rizwan

Last edited by RizwanSharp; 11-07-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RizwanSharp
Hi Everybody,

I'm here for help again. I was a bit low on fule 1/8-1/10 of the tank. Shutdown my car just fine, turned it back on it gave some weird strong jerks. Turned it off, tried again same thing, did it again and same thing kept it on for a 15-20 seconds and after a lot of jerks engine shut of again automatically. So seems like everything was working fine but engine is starving for fuel. Brought some Gallon gas and poured in the tank. Started again but the same problem.

Now some times car starts but turns of after some jerks are trying hard to be smooth.

No engine light or what so ever. Fuel light was not yet turned on. (I drove even in Fuel Light on 2 times before without any problems). I can also hear fuel pump making some noise.

Ran and brought Fuel Filter. I think as fuel tank was low so some particles and garbage had clogged filter?

Going to put the new filter tomorrow to see if makes any difference.

Do you guys any suggestions to check/do besides putting the new fuel filter?

Thanks a lot for your time and answers.

Best Regards,
Rizwan
Sounds like you starved it of gas. I would replace the filter since you already got it. Put more then just a gallon in it. I'd say at least 5 gallons. Turn the key forward without starting a few times to build up pressure since there is probably not much fuel in your lines now. Then I would try and start it hope it starts and runs fine and rush to your nearest gas station to fill her up. Your guage may be off some, so at 1/10 your probably empty. Just got to hope you didnt burn out your fuel pump. So make sure you put more then just one gallon in just so you dont have the one gallon sloshing around and starving your pump cause you could fry it on the way to the station.
There is a video in my youtube channel in my sig for fuel filter replacement just in case you need it.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by vance580
Put more then just a gallon in it. I'd say at least 5 gallons.
Yes I did 5 Gallon Already but no success in only doing that.

Turn the key forward without starting a few times to build up pressure since there is probably not much fuel in your lines now..
Did this too as I said car starts but it stalls after some jerks...

Your guage may be off some, so at 1/10 your probably empty.
I don't think so as I wrote I have gone much lower before than today without any problem.

Just got to hope you didnt burn out your fuel pump.
Lets hope but I think thats making some noise (probably trying to fetch fuel)

There is a video in my youtube channel in my sig for fuel filter replacement just in case you need it.
Millions thanks for that one as that video gave me confidence to go get the fuel filter and see what happens.

I'll try that tomorrow and post the results.

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions.

Best Regards,
Rizwan

Old 11-08-2010, 08:13 PM

OK Here is what solved my problem. (Thanks vance580)

Changed the Fuel Filter.

Man the side which was coming from Fuel Tank had a BLACK fuel in it. But filter seemed to be doing good job.

The car didn't start at all after changing the fuel filter.

Checked the fuses and found:

F47 15A Rear electronic module, fuel pump driver .

was bad.

Replaced it with the new Fuse and car started just fine!!! (Thanks to my friend Mike who did help me with all this)

I have a question though.
Can we flush the Fuel tank and make sure whole junk is sucked out of tank leaving it clean?

Thanks for the inputs.

Thanks,
Rizwan

Old 11-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,941 Posts

I'm glad it's running again.
Originally Posted by RizwanSharp
Can we flush the Fuel tank and make sure whole junk is sucked out of tank leaving it clean?
Not easily. You'd need to figure a way, probably not using the existing fuel pump(s) (they're driven via pulses, don't think you can just hotwire them) and probably opening the lines somewhere. Maybe remove the tank.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 AM

Thanks Jagv8,

I'll talk to the mechanic and see if he has done this on any car before if yes how it works.

Thanks for the info.

Best Regards,
Rizwan

Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

The dirty way is to use a sump pump(remove the fuel pump assembly), remove all the fuel and let is dry out and vaccum the tank clean.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:03 AM

Thanks Mafioso.

May be next month or so If I have update on this. I'll update you.

Thanks,
Rizwan

Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

You must excercise great caution when doing it this way, and use common sense, and more importantly a pump rated for fuel, Matco, Snap On and other companies have pumps deisgned for this duty.

you can either use the filler neck going into the tank or use the access hatch under the rear seat after you remove the pump.

Also no smoking while the tank is open, no sparks, open flames, use a respirator.

Legal disclaimer: This is only advise on how it can be cleaned out this is no way shape or form the absolute guide to doing this job. I will not be held responsible for anything that happens steming from this advise. Reading this post is an acknoledgement that you agree not to hold me liable for personal or property damage that may occur.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mafioso
You must excercise great caution when doing it this way, and use common sense, and more importantly a pump rated for fuel, Matco, Snap On and other companies have pumps deisgned for this duty.

you can either use the filler neck going into the tank or use the access hatch under the rear seat after you remove the pump.

Also no smoking while the tank is open, no sparks, open flames, use a respirator.

Legal disclaimer: This is only advise on how it can be cleaned out this is no way shape or form the absolute guide to doing this job. I will not be held responsible for anything that happens steming from this advise. Reading this post is an acknoledgement that you agree not to hold me liable for personal or property damage that may occur.
No Worries. I understand what you mean and this is probably above my knowledge level and also I don't have garage to do it. So i'll better ask a good professional mechanic to do it. Don't know how much it will cost though. I'll check it.

Thanks for the great information though.

Best Regards,
Rizwan

Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Haha no problem it can actually be done under a carport the most important thing is safety drain the tank into gas cans and while you have the pump assembly out of the tank change the fuel pump socks while you have out. And pumps if you have the cash to spare. Remember they are motors and they wear with time so might as well while your in there

Old 11-14-2010, 01:14 PM

JTIS Says:

"The fuel tank is of a plastic construction"

Reallly??? I thought all cars have Metal Tanks....

Sorry for behaving like a dumb here...

Thanks,
Rizwan

Old 11-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

I don't wanna be TOO insulting but why would you not:
1. believe JTIS
2. look under the car?

Again, not to be too insulting but with your situation you should get a proper mechanic to do it. Gasoline is not something to learn on. You cannot risk any mistakes.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:37 PM

I was expecting Such a reply so that fine for me.

Yes, I believe JTIS but I was just wondering (With no/little knowledge of cars, I was thinking that every car has Metal Tanks).

I got amazed and that's why I posted that.

But that doesn't stop me from being curious and learn more. And that is why this forum exists.

Sorry for making you mad though.

Thanks for your answers

Rizwan

Old 11-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not mad at all. Worried in case you blow yourself and others up, yes. Don't even jack up the car with a trolley jack at the rear without being sure what you're doing as it would be REAL easy to pierce the tank.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Rizwansharp, as JagV8 cautions, use extreme care when dealing with the fuel system. It may be prudent to disconnect the battery just prior to evacuating the fuel tank. Goodluck fella.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:07 AM

Thanks again.

I know what are the concerns here. If I plan to do it myself, I'll not do it alone but with a good friend who is also a mechanic.

Otherwise I'll go dealer and have it done for me.

Thanks to you all for your wonderful help and support.

Rizwan

Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

be very careful and good luck if you choose to tackle it.