S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Problems with my 2003 S Type

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Problems with my 2003 S Type

Wanted to post and get some thoughts, since there's a wealth of information on here and I figured someone may know what's up. Mechanical stuff does not come easily to me at all!

I recently purchased a 2003 S Type, "as is". I'm now noticing two issues:

First, there is a grinding metal sound from the front brakes (sounds like the front right brake?) when I'm braking. It only makes the noise when I brake, and the brakes seem to work fine. I have service records stating that the brakes were replaced before I bought it though, so I'm not sure why it's making that noise if they're new. What could cause that?

The second (and more concerning issue), is that if you tap the gas while the car is in "Park", the car will lurch forward! Isn't the car supposed to not move at all if you do that?? I usually keep my foot on the brake while I'm in park anyways (just a habit), so I'm not overly worried about it, but could this be a transmission issue? If I put the parking brake on and do it, the car does not move. It only moves if you do it while the parking brake is off and the gear is in park.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered these problems or knows what to look for/fix. I suspect the car may have been in a unreported (minor) fender bender at some point, but I have no proof other than what looks like a well repaired dent in the front right fender. Otherwise it's a beautiful well maintained vehicle, I'd just like to figure out the issues. Can you have a Jaguar repaired at a regular mechanic shop? Or only at Jaguar dealerships? My last car was a Lincoln so I'm completely unfamiliar with Jaguar as a whole, and now I'm worried I may be in for pricy repairs

Old 06-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,871 Posts

Metal-on-metal scraping when applying the brakes usually indicates that the brake pads are worn down to their metal backing and you're damaging the rotor every time you step on the brakes. A Midas franchise shop will inspect your brakes for free. Start there....

Some cars will surge slightly while in Park if they are not fully engaged in Park. You may want to have that looked at as well. Find an independent transmission shop and they may inspect it for free....

Older Jaguars are far more affordable if you can DIY the majority of the maintenance and repairs yourself. This forum will help you greatly in doing so. All you have to do is ask. If DIY service is indeed beyond your capabilities, your best alternative is to find a reputable indie shop in your area. That can still get a bit costly. I recommend that you learn to DIY as much as you can....

Old 06-27-2015, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Maybe one or both bolts loose/missing from shifter cable at trans side so not really in park.