S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential STR Owner, some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011 | 09:32 AM
|
Arrow Potential STR Owner, some questions.

My name is Jimmy and I am looking into purchasing a STR. I would actually like some input here and I'm hoping this is the right section of the forum for it.

The Jaguar S-Type R I am looking at is a 2005 model. The vehicle has 65,000 miles on it. One of the previous owners (there have been 3, not sure which one) purchased an extended warranty through Jaguar and it holds through April 27th, 2014 or 100,000 Miles.

The current owner did a few things, that I think, is causing him to try to recoup some of the money he put into it. Suede headliner, refinished the wheels, HRE springs to lower the vehicle, and stitching "R" into the headrests of both front seats. To me, I don't care about all of that...I'm fine with or without it.

The most important aspect to me is the current extended warranty; it gives me a little peace of mind considering some of the issues the STR is known for.

My question is, the owner is asking $23,000 for the car, is this justifiable? The KBB is $17-$18K in "Excellent" condition (which I think the car is in).

I'm hoping to hear alot of input on someone of you, which I am sure, have alot of experience with these cars.

Best Regards and Hopefully I can join you guys soon as an owner.

Old 10-11-2011 | 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Seems a tad high for an 05. Also, HRE never made springs for the STR, maybe H&R springs. Those are what I have and they make the car handle much better than stock. Not sure the cost of a suede headlinder, but I can't think it is worth that much of a premium, same goes for refinishing the wheels. I could see adding a few hundred to cover those, but not 5k. Then again, that extended warranty could be worth its weight in gold.

Old 10-11-2011 | 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

How did he get a warranty like that through Jaguar. I've never heard of it.

You might want to check up on that. That also might be why the price is a bit high.

Originally Posted by Jzaid84
My name is Jimmy and I am looking into purchasing a STR. I would actually like some input here and I'm hoping this is the right section of the forum for it.

The Jaguar S-Type R I am looking at is a 2005 model. The vehicle has 65,000 miles on it. One of the previous owners (there have been 3, not sure which one) purchased an extended warranty through Jaguar and it holds through April 27th, 2014 or 100,000 Miles.

The current owner did a few things, that I think, is causing him to try to recoup some of the money he put into it. Suede headliner, refinished the wheels, HRE springs to lower the vehicle, and stitching "R" into the headrests of both front seats. To me, I don't care about all of that...I'm fine with or without it.

The most important aspect to me is the current extended warranty; it gives me a little peace of mind considering some of the issues the STR is known for.

My question is, the owner is asking $23,000 for the car, is this justifiable? The KBB is $17-$18K in "Excellent" condition (which I think the car is in).

I'm hoping to hear alot of input on someone of you, which I am sure, have alot of experience with these cars.

Best Regards and Hopefully I can join you guys soon as an owner.

Old 10-11-2011 | 10:32 AM
|

Michael, yes maybe they are H & R rather HRE.

If it helps anyone, here is the link to the vehicle on Autotrader.com:
Cars for Sale: 2005 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8 R in SPRING, TX 77381: Sedan Details - 296867422 - AutoTrader.com

Old 10-11-2011 | 10:40 AM
Veteran member

Hmm I kinda like the suede, and now that I see it, I am sure that did cost quite a bit. He also has the audio input which is nice, but unfortunately for him, none of that really adds anything to the resale value of the car. 17k would be a fair price IMO.

Old 10-11-2011 | 10:49 AM
|

Do you think he's asking that much because of the extended warranty? When I spoke with him over the phone, he said a warranty like that (supposedly it covers everything except speakers) is in the range of $6-$8K. Sounds a bit steep...

Old 10-11-2011 | 10:55 AM
|

Just spoke with EasyCare about the warranty on the car...it does of the "Total Care" package which covers everything except cosmetic stuff (paint, carpet, etc), regular maintenance, wiper blades, brakes, rotors, and a few other things. She said it's basically like the warranty provided by the dealers.

Old 10-11-2011 | 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think that's a Jaguar honored warranty. Find that out.

It's not low miles. I got mine 14 months ago with 14K miles $21K and one year of warranty. Bone stock.

Those mods are not my cup of tea. The headliner in black looks gawd awful to me. But that's not what you asked about except that at resale time it WILL have less appeal.

Is there some kind of spoiler hanging off of the rear of the roof?

I have cars with alcatara (fake suede) on them and it's usually done with a bit more style in the stitching than this. This looks like black beach blanket.

I just saw you post on the warranty company. I suggest checking them out on the web for folks opinions. It's better than not having one. How good this one is?

Old 10-11-2011 | 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

It's just an extended service contract not a Jaguar warranty...The long story short, find a local mechanic who accepts the easy care contract...Often the service contract company will only want to pay $50/hour labor and the mechanic normally charges $90/hour and they have to negotiate...Yet this process could already be done by someone in the past and there could be a good mechanic nearby so it's worth checking into. In fact, why don't you call your local Jag dealer and ask if they accept an easy care warranty and see what they have to say...

Is it worth $23K? Not in my opinion...

Edit...It looks like the upper seat bolsters in the front and rear seats are sueded along with the top and bottom of the steering wheel...

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 10-11-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2011 | 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Personally I am kinda feeling the black suede if the jesus christ handles were dyed black and all the silver/grey plastics were painted black.

All in all looks like a pretty clean kitty, as I mentioned in another post, the seller is alittle high in price that is.

Old 10-11-2011 | 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

You don't give a crap about add-on's such as springs. Gangster suede headliner which actually brought the value of the car down, and stitched "R"'s into the seat when this year came "R" seat stitch delete? Value went down again. She's an 05 with 65k on the clock, but a decent warrranty?...$18,000 max, case closed, NEXT!

Last edited by bfsgross; 10-11-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2011 | 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
You don't give a crap about add-on's such as springs. Gangster suede headliner which actually brought the value of the car down, and stitched "R"'s into the seat when this year came "R" seat stitch delete? Value went down again. She's an 05 with 65k on the clock, but a decent warrranty?...$18,000 max, case closed, NEXT!
You forgot about the UPGRADED nite-shaded/blacked-out front blinkers and repeaters...$18001

Old 10-11-2011 | 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
Edit...It looks like the upper seat bolsters in the front and rear seats are sueded along with the top and bottom of the steering wheel...
If that's true stay away. That material does not wear well. It pills easily, is hard to clean and ends up looking like hell. Door, dash and roof panels are fine but it's not as durable.

Last edited by Staatsof; 10-11-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2011 | 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

I have Easy Care "Total Care" extended warranty on mine and the Jag dealer added it to the price when I got the car. It was around $3,000 at that time.
When my battery died last Jan, it was towed 30 miles to the dealer and fixed under warranty, they handled everything. The dealer also did other work under warranty, probably to add a bit of profit for them.
Easy Care doesn't really care where you go to have any repairs done, I was told by them that a mechanic "must" be ASE certified though. How true this is, I don't know, but I wasn't willing to take that chance.

The warranty covered towing and a rental car, but the limit is $30/per day. I opted for a new XF and paid an additional $20/per day which was well worth it.
I suspect Easy Care Total Care package is similar to Jag's factory warranty, but without going over them in detail, I wouldn't know.

Old 10-11-2011 | 03:00 PM
|

Yea he had suede installed on the front and back seats as well as on the steering wheel. Thanks for the info, Jatt2, on the easy care warranty.

The guy is "firm" at $23,000...I even offered $21,000 and he said...without hesitation, NO. Moving on, I still want a STR...but recently some XJR's have caught my eye.

Thanks for all of those who gave me some insight...

Old 10-11-2011 | 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

There are a couple of 03 and up STRs in the for sale section here: PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The guys here know the past on most of them.

The seller not wanting to budge above: wifes wants it gone and husband wants it to stay. It will be for sale awhile

Old 10-11-2011 | 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

$21K firm? Let "it" go son. You can nearly have two STR's for that price.

Old 10-11-2011 | 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

You'll get a better one for less

Old 10-11-2011 | 06:29 PM

Three weeks ago I purchased an '06 STR from the Jag dealer with 30,800 miles for $22K with remaining Jaguar extended warranty. Immaculate condition. Just to give you a price reference. Some forum members may think a little too high but I felt I got a great deal. Listen to the guys on here...they know these cars and their STR values.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (10-13-2011)
Old 10-11-2011 | 07:08 PM

When will people realize that money invested is NEVER money recouped.

Walk away. This guy is probably months away from negotiating and is in lala land about the price.

Quick Reply: Potential STR Owner, some questions.