Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Outlet in Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Power Outlet in Armrest

Recently I got a Blackberry that has a GPS application. It's pretty handy as long as you accept its limitations. I got a dash mount so I can see the display fairly easily. I also got a charger for it and discovered a design problem. The 12 dc outlet that is in the armrest must have been designed by a bunch of monkeys. First, the socket is at the back of the armrest bin so for most applications like cell phones, nav systems and the like at least six inches are wasted. The outlet should have been at the front. Next, when the armrest is closed, it also closes on the power cord which over time, is likely to become damaged. A more intelligent solution would have been to put the accessory outlet under the dashboard somewhere. I wound up using the cigarette lighter outlet instead.

Mike

Old 10-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Do yourself a favor and wire up another 12v cig outlet and place it somewhere that you can plug in your device without cluttering up the cabin.

I just wired my STR for my Sirius satellite radio and wanted another port closer to the drivers A pillar. All I did was pull 12v from that 12v port in the armrest - easy to get to the wiring via the 2 screws in the bottom of the binnacle, then ran the power lead the length of the console tucked underneath the drivers side console panel, then up over the foot pedal area and finally to a spot on the footwell above the ECU.

When going over the foot pedal area I made sure to run the wire up around a few wiring plugs and secured with zip ties so there is no chance if the wire falling down into the pedal area.

There is a nice dead zone above the ECU on the left side firewall - plenty of space to mount the 12v port (but you could mount it anywhere, even behind the radio if you want). You can pick up a 12v port at any auto parts store for less than $10. Took me about 20 minutes to do it because I soldered all the connections.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Chris,

It was more of a rant from a grumpy old man than anything else.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Silly question Mr. Rant... Do you drive with the console door slid forward or back?

When the door is slid back to expose the cup holder, you will notice that there is a space between the cup holder palstic and the door..Like a mail slot... The latch activates from the sides not the center so your cord won't get pinched.

Now, if you cover your cup holders....that's a different story...

So, stop covering up! LOL

Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Silly question Mr. Rant... Do you drive with the console door slid forward or back?

When the door is slid back to expose the cup holder, you will notice that there is a space between the cup holder palstic and the door..Like a mail slot... The latch activates from the sides not the center so your cord won't get pinched.

Now, if you cover your cup holders....that's a different story...

So, stop covering up! LOL
Jeff, the armrest is forward normally. Lately I finessed the whole issue by charging up the Blackberry in my office and not using the power cord. Other problem is that the cheapskate cord isn't very long (another rant). One nice feature of the Blackberry is the Google Maps application. I use it to get a traffic report just before going to work or back home. It also has a satellite view so you can overlay the traffic situation on an overhead imagery view. Kind of neat but it sucks up power like a vacuum cleaner.

Mike

Old 10-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I agree, the USB charging cord on my work-issued BB Bold is uncommonly short. Irritating.