S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering fluid leak? Need info.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid leak? Need info.......

I have a 2000 S type with 133k miles on it. Recently my power steering fluid started to leak. First there was a very small circle on my driveway but within a week it has become so bad that 1/4 of the resevoir can drain out during the 15 hours the car is parked overnight. I took the air filter box out and check for the leak. It was dripping off of the bottom clamp on the large hosewhere it hooks to the 45 degree elbow coming from the steering pump. I checked the large hose and could not find a cut or hole. I check the reservoir and found no cracks or damage. Is there an O ring in that elbow that might be leaking successively more? Thanks in advance for ANY help.

Cajun

Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Power steering fluid leak? Need info.......

When I replaced the power steering pump in my MTM tt I had a very similar leak.. I have not yet looked at the one on the s type, but the elbow your referring to is most likely a banjo fitting.. Its a hex head type pin that goes though a hollow circle with a barb.. The pin that goes through the fitting is where the fluid flows through and there are two copper washers on either side of the barb fitting part.. usually the copper washers are where leaks develop.. They shouldnt cost more than a couple dollars to replace..
Once your replace them, top off your fluid and while the car is parked and is running, bleed the system by turning the steering to full lock to the left and full lock to the right a couple of times, then top off and repeat and check for leaks as your doing this..

Old 11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

This is a banjo fitting: (the thing goes through the other thing)
Name:  54_800116a.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  16.0 KB

Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 PM

This fitting is simply a 1/2" 45 degree elbow that connects the pump to the large hose coming down from the reservoir. I will get pics tomorrow and post them for clarification. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

theyre arent any banjo fittings on the your system, if its the line from the reservoir to the pump, replace it, its only 2 spring clamps and pushes on. If its the line from pump to reservoir its it has a quick connect(not disconnect) unscrew it from the pump with a 16mm stubby wrench with the air box removed for access, and replace the whole line. Theres an undated line and its has to be replaced fcompletely from the pump to the rack, and this one is the most common leaker, but clean totally dry with brake clean to identify the source as I recommended in your other thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

SORRY GUYS... lol ze germans do things differently on their cars.. didn't feel like crawling underneath my car to check for you yet cajun...

Old 11-08-2008, 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: BRUTAL

theyre arent any banjo fittings on the your system, if its the line from the reservoir to the pump, replace it, its only 2 spring clamps and pushes on. If its the line from pump to reservoir its it has a quick connect(not disconnect) unscrew it from the pump with a 16mm stubby wrench with the air box removed for access, and replace the whole line. Theres an undated line and its has to be replaced fcompletely from the pump to the rack, and this one is the most common leaker, but clean totally dry with brake clean to identify the source as I recommended in your other thread
Very cool of you guys to take the time to help me out here. It will surely save me a huge amount of money. Where can I find part numbers for these items and find good prices on them? Thanks

Cajun