Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump - After Market won't mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013 | 03:00 PM
|
Default Power steering pump - After Market won't mount

2001 Jaguar S-Type, V8
The pump went out (so the mechanic at Pep Boys told me---after replacing the Rack and Pinion---yet pump was working fine beforehand). Anyway, the pump went out, and all the pumps (up to 4) ordered by Pep Boys from local parts stores, won't mount to the block (I guess the block).
Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket power steering pump that will fit, rather than paying $640+ to Jaguar)?

Old 12-30-2013 | 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown
2001 Jaguar S-Type, V8...
The pump went out (so the mechanic at Pep Boys told me---after replacing the Rack and Pinion---yet pump was working fine beforehand)...
What exactly does 'went out' mean? Is there a bearing failure or a leak from a seal or the high-pressure hose fitting?

At this point, is it possible you can find a used one from a local breaker's yard?

You may also find a remanufactured unit on the Internet.

Old 12-30-2013 | 03:52 PM
|

After the mechanic installed the Rack and Pinion (and Like I said, it was working fine before---had the R&P changed out because they would not simply change out inner tie rods (pax side was supposedly bad---so the mechanics said)), they released the car to me without mentioning the power steering malfunction. I say, malfunction, because when I picked up the car, the steering was very hard. I returned it to them and they claimed it was like that when they got the car (a lie). So, the 'went out' means that the steering instantly became hard, unlike it was before I brought it to them. Unfortunately, the primary reason I bought it to them (on a trailer) was to diagnose a 'non-starting' issue...when they claimed (and repaired) it was the fuel pump. In retrospect, I believe it was only the fuel pump fuse (they had to change the fuse after the first fule pump they installed didn't work, and ordered a second).
SO, BL---think I'm getting the shaft (not just a fuel pump, power steering pump, and labor for those installations and the R&P)!!!!
Just wondering if there is something UNIQUE about the pump for this car that the AM versions can't seem to match.

Old 12-30-2013 | 04:00 PM

Been through this, as have other members. Try a Lincoln LS pump.

Old 12-30-2013 | 04:55 PM

Using Pep Boys to work on a Jaguar???? What next, a toaster repair guy to fix a hospital MRI machine????

Seems to have worked out economically......LOL

Old 12-30-2013 | 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Follow QuartzSTypeR's suggestion.

I found a $60 lifetime warranty P/S pump for my 2005 STR a perfect match to the LS.

Your 2000 is a twin to the LS. Plenty of pumps to choose from.

Old 12-30-2013 | 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by tony1963
Using Pep Boys to work on a Jaguar???? What next, a toaster repair guy to fix a hospital MRI machine????

Seems to have worked out economically......LOL
Aren't you always on here saying how cheap these cars are? Now you are bashing members for taking their 13 year old, <$5k car to a chain repair facility? How about offering a real suggestion instead of snide comments like you seem to do in almost all of your posts?

Old 12-31-2013 | 06:58 AM
|

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
Aren't you always on here saying how cheap these cars are? Now you are bashing members for taking their 13 year old, <$5k car to a chain repair facility? How about offering a real suggestion instead of snide comments like you seem to do in almost all of your posts?
Thanks, Quartz.....was surprised to see such a comment myself.

Old 12-31-2013 | 07:05 AM
|

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Follow QuartzSTypeR's suggestion.

I found a $60 lifetime warranty P/S pump for my 2005 STR a perfect match to the LS.

Your 2000 is a twin to the LS. Plenty of pumps to choose from.
Thanks to you and Quartz....will see if I can locate one.

Old 12-31-2013 | 06:05 PM

I just don't see the point in taking a Jaguar to Pep Boys who can't spell "Jaguar", let alone work on them properly.

They work on Fords, Chevys and Chrysler stuff.

Old 01-01-2014 | 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown
After the mechanic installed the Rack and Pinion (and Like I said, it was working fine before---had the R&P changed out because they would not simply change out inner tie rods (pax side was supposedly bad---so the mechanics said)), they released the car to me without mentioning the power steering malfunction. I say, malfunction, because when I picked up the car, the steering was very hard. I returned it to them and they claimed it was like that when they got the car (a lie). So, the 'went out' means that the steering instantly became hard, unlike it was before I brought it to them. Unfortunately, the primary reason I bought it to them (on a trailer) was to diagnose a 'non-starting' issue...when they claimed (and repaired) it was the fuel pump. In retrospect, I believe it was only the fuel pump fuse (they had to change the fuse after the first fule pump they installed didn't work, and ordered a second).
SO, BL---think I'm getting the shaft (not just a fuel pump, power steering pump, and labor for those installations and the R&P)!!!!
Just wondering if there is something UNIQUE about the pump for this car that the AM versions can't seem to match.
I wouldn't let those ASE certified retards at Pep Boys 1,000 feet near my car with anything resembling a wrench! Our cars are way beyond their scope of knowledge - wouldn't be surprised if they caused the PS pump failure with the R&P install. (And the inner tie rods can be changed) - again, the LS parts are interchangeable - or you can order Jaguar specific inner tie rods through www.rockauto.com but shipping from their UK parts warehouse is pricey.

Check out www.rockauto.com - As other members mentioned - the LS power steering pump should be an exact fit.

Last edited by abonano; 01-01-2014 at 12:46 PM.