S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is probably something simple

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 10:33 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default This is probably something simple

My Jag does the same thing as the video I’m linking too.
I reset the parking brake module by disconnecting the battery for 10min, etc.
Its annoying, but everything works fine, including the parking brake as far as I can tell. I can hear it work when I engage/disengage it. And the car will not roll when engaged, so it seems to be working.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 05-05-2019, 10:35 PM
Default No engine light like shown in the video

The video also shows an engine light, I do not have this engine light. Only the chirping and the red brake light. 👍🏻

Old 05-06-2019, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Have you checked the brake fluid level?

Old 05-06-2019, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Might be gear lever detected as not in park.

Check the 2 bolts (8mm hex) at trans side for shift cable.

Be sure P / N etc light as you move the lever.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:41 PM

Checked the brake fluid, well between the min/max level.
power steering was right at Min level so I added a touch, started the engine, turned the wheels both directions several times. Still the stupid beeping lol

All positions on the gear shifter light up when I cycle part-to-drive. So that seems ok too.

She needs a new washer fluid pump, and a couple little things. So I will book her a trip to a shop I recently found who has great reviews and gave a reasonable estimate for replacing the fuel injectors and associated stuff. (Glad I don’t need that job done

Once I know more, I will advise 👍🏻

Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reklaw1973
Once I know more, I will advise 👍🏻
Not so.fast, buckaroo! Coming back to post the resolution is considered a SERIOUS breach of forum etiquette. Standard protocol is to launch a thread, get lots of good advice, and then leave us all hanging. Well, at least that's how it seems to be on the forum.

I've noticed in your other thread, you've already violated this protocol by posting the update of how new coils fixed the misfire. We're willing to let you off the hook on that one because you're new and technically it is not fully resolved because we're still waiting to hear what brand was installed, but don't let it happen again.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-15-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Oh yes he did!

Replaced all eight with NGK Coils

Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 PM
Default Ha!

I agree. When I was looking for those with similar problems like I was having... I was hoping to find someone who resolved the problem so I had a good idea of what to look for and possibly fix.
So although it may take a while in some instances, I’m a rebel!!
I will do my best to not only follow up with resolutions, but will thank those who took the time to help me!

You can fire me from the forum, it would be an honorable death 😎

Old 05-06-2019, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

You can fire me from the forum, it would be an honorable death 😎
No, we won't let you off so easily for such a serious infraction. Our only recourse may be to promote you to moderator.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:11 PM
Default Fixed, for now at least

I have learned that something fixed now may not stick as fixed. But, regarding the chirping break warning...
i bought the iCarsoft scanner for my car. Found a couple codes for the electronic parking brake. Tried using it (the parking brake) and got a parking brake fault. This “parking brake fault” goes away when I take out the key and restart the car.
Codes... Things like max motor current reached before engaged kind of thing, battery voltage out of range, or something.
Helpful I know, But I don’t recall exactly.
I reset them because I have had a lot of work done to the car, and this is the first time I was able to read these codes. So I wanted to know what was going on right now. What isn’t working?
So I cleared the codes, started the car and tested the parking brake. Worked perfectly. No codes, no chirp, out of park into drive, brake releases. Park her, shut her off, brake engages.
Take out the key, put her in N, tone warning as expected.
I get out and try to make her roll, no key and in N... with all my might and she won’t budge.
Sure feels like the brake is engaged to me!
I will try this on a steep driveway this weekend.
I tried it before the iCarsoft cleared everything and I could roll her.
She would roll down the driveway in N with no key.
Now she seems to be parking-brake good.
So, dare I call this resolved? Was she chirping at me to clear the stupid codes this whole time?

Man, I hope so!

I will let things be and drive the car... and advise.
But know this: No news means the iCarsoft code reset did the trick and resolved the chirping brake warning 👍🏻

Last edited by Reklaw1973; 05-09-2019 at 10:22 PM. Reason: I can’t spell lol
kr98664 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Default The plot thickens...

Don’t reply yet, I have an update but I’m at work.
Will advise...

Old 05-10-2019, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Don’t reply yet...
Got it! Your wish is my command.

Is everybody else onboard with his instructions not to reply yet?

Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 AM

😜
its because the chirp is back, and I have a hunch. But I want to get home and hook up the iCarsoft again and do a better job updating.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Default Ok ok ok ok...

So, everything was fine until it was chilly this morning.

I used the aftermarket remote start I had installed some time ago to warm her up.

Some history: When I had it installed, there was a new “parking brake fault” showing after starting the car with the remote start. It would persist unless I shut the car off and re-started the car. I asked about this new development immediately after the install and they seemed unsure, and acted like “wasn’t that already there? They blamed the brake and said I would have to get the parking brake looked at.

I assumed it was not jiving well with part of the security system, and just got in the habit of shutting her off and restarting if ever I used the remote start to clear the parking brake fault warning message. I don’t remember when the chirping started, because I suck. Maybe then, maybe later.

Fast forward to last night, the iCarsoft let me see and clear the codes. No chirping brake warning, brake functioned perfectly. This morning, remote start, parking brake fault, shut her off, started her again and parkbrake warning was gone.

Drove to work.

When I shut her off the chirping brake warning was back.

Figured I better warn the forum people who will probably reply today.

Got flack for it, so they still like me.

After work:

Went home, cleared codes and was able to get rid of the chirping again with the i930. Had to clear codes AND pull the parking brake button... handle... knob... on the center console... whatever, at which point it I hear it engage perfectly.

Tested everything and all worked fine. Took a little drive, came home and all is well.

Then I used the aftermarket remote start to start the car via drone app on my phone (the only way I can remote start the car): “Parkbreak fault”, red “Brake (!) And yellow ((ABS))

Without touching anything , i980 scan showed U1134: “SCP (J1850) invalid or missing data for ignition switch/starter”

I put the key in the ignition, foot on the brake, no change. Scan and no new codes.

Put it in drive and I hear the brake disengage immediately (as it should right?) and I can drive. “Parkbrake fault” and yellow ((ABS)) remains.
Shut off car, remove key: chirping brake warning.

Put key in: turn to accessory (position 1), scan and no new codes.

Clear codes, and verify cleared. Remove key and chirping brake warning.

Read codes: no new codes.

Insert key: chirping brake warning.

Turn to accessory and apply parking brake: I hear it engage.

Remove key: no chirping, red brake light on for about 10sec then off.

Open door: no chirping

Close door, accessory: red brake light no chirp.

I start the car, all is well.

Push parking brake down: I hear it disengage. Pull parking break up, I hear it engage.

The damn remote start is messing things up isn’t it.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

I'd say so.

Now if you had mentioned "remote start" earlier I'd have pointed you at this thread...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d-58086/page5/

Old 05-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

The damn remote start is messing things up isn’t it.
Sounds like it.

Does the car behave itself if you don't use the remote start? And if it only acts up after using the remote start, how difficult is it for you to stop the beeping?

I'm just wondering if you're okay to leave it as is, and only use the remote starter on rare occasions, such as if you had just joined the mob, had whacked another mobster, and were afraid of an ignition-activated car bomb.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Default Or not so simple

Originally Posted by Norri
I'd say so.

Now if you had mentioned "remote start" earlier I'd have pointed you at this thread...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d-58086/page5/

So the car acts up when the remote starter is used. Thank God it doesn’t go into limp mode! However a trip to the ice cream parlor this evening ended in the chirping brake warning without using the remote starter. This time after messing with the parking brake actuator it went away on its own. So it seems something intermittent that could be associated with the remote starter, or aggravated by the remote starter but associated with the parking brake system. No codes are thrown in diagnostic mode (i980) so I will look into OBDII mode if/when I get a chirping brake again.
The thread quoted above both gives hope and is daunting bc I know how intense the wiring of this car is. But continued effort will hopefully lead to a fix that sticks.
Thoughts:
- Kudos for the installer getting some of the install right, although something may be amiss.
- As this unfolds hopefully the continual learning and diagnostic detective work will find the problem.
- Man I wish that Wiring guru from the thread lived close, He would be worth a pretty penny and would love driving my STR named “Della Rose”. I have had her to 155mph, and she was smooth 😈

Last edited by Reklaw1973; 05-10-2019 at 09:42 PM. Reason: I can’t type
Norri (05-10-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 11:51 AM
Default I just realized I let this hang with no update

Hey Guys!

I just realized I left this hanging with no final update.

The fix ended up being replacement of the parking brake motor. I went to the dealership and had the motor replaced for a decent chunk of change, but the repair seemed beyond what I could do myself. This resolved the annoying dinging. If I recall, the repair ran me between $700-1200.
At the time I was a shade tree mechanic working on the street in front of my house. I honestly don’t know if having a garage and a little better setup would make this doable now.

But to bring this to conclusion: The parking brake motor was going bad and it needed replaced.

The following 2 users liked this post by Reklaw1973:
kr98664 (12-29-2019), Norri (12-30-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

The parking brake motor was going bad and it needed replaced.
Thanks for the update.

Do you have the old motor? I'd love to see a post-mortem to learn why it died. I'm especially curious if the gearbox innards looked like this one. Note the rust stains, indicating moisture intrusion:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...r-apart-53753/