Sponsored by:

Problems with the Bluetooth system

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 12:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Problems with the Bluetooth system

Hi all.
I own a 2006 Jaguar S-Type.
My car is fitted with the hands free Bluetooth phone system. (I know this because I have the little microphone on the roof next to the map lights)
I did try to follow the instructions in the manual to pair my cell to the car. But when I press the phone mode (hang up) button it displays "HANDSET", where the manual says it should display "SIG"
Then the manual says to press ##3#*# when the display shows "SIG". The problem is the display never shows "SIG" it only shows "HANDSET" for 5 seconds an the returns to the normal display.
One theory I have (don't know if it is correct) is that the radio code I have tell the stereo system that it is not equipped with Bluetooth. (Can this be the case?)

Any help will be appreciated, as I would really like to make use of this feature.

Thank you
Grant

Old 08-03-2020, 04:50 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

My guess would be that although you have the mic you do not have the bluetooth module fitted.
Are you sure it is a Jaguar dealer fitted genuine mic not an after market phone mic. The jaguar fitted mic looks like this:

The above mic was only used if Bluetooth was installed by the jaguar dealers, if you had a factory fitted Bluetooth from new then they used the same mic as the voice control that is built inside the roof consol nd can not be seen.

I think you are going to have to go in the boot/trunk and look for the bluetooth box behind the left hand carpet pannel. They look like this:

The following users liked this post:
Grant Du Plessis (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w
My guess would be that although you have the mic you do not have the bluetooth module fitted.
Are you sure it is a Jaguar dealer fitted genuine mic not an after market phone mic. The jaguar fitted mic looks like this:

The above mic was only used if Bluetooth was installed by the jaguar dealers, if you had a factory fitted Bluetooth from new then they used the same mic as the voice control that is built inside the roof consol nd can not be seen.

I think you are going to have to go in the boot/trunk and look for the bluetooth box behind the left hand carpet pannel. They look like this:

Thats exactly what mine looks like.
it is fitted by jag.
I'll have to check for the module itself in the boot.

here's my mic

Old 08-03-2020, 05:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

That's a PSE unit (Portable Support Electronic) for the fixed GSM telephone. It's not Bluetooth.

This is the Bluetooth unit on my 2005 XK8. The same unit was fitted to other contemporary Jaguar models and would have been used on the S-Type:

Hugely expensive and only rarely selected as an option by original buyers.

Graham

Grant Du Plessis (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
That's a PSE unit (Portable Support Electronic) for the fixed GSM telephone. It's not Bluetooth.

This is the Bluetooth unit on my 2005 XK8. The same unit was fitted to other contemporary Jaguar models and would have been used on the S-Type:

Hugely expensive and only rarely selected as an option by original buyers.

Graham
So that thing in the picture I took is not a mic?
What is the GSM phone then?

Old 08-03-2020, 06:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

YES - that's a microphone on the roof. Most Jaguars have that fitted together with steering wheel phone controls. However, very few were equipped with either the earlier Motorola StarTAC or GSM phones and even less fitted with Bluetooth.

Graham

Old 08-03-2020, 06:39 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

The older wired phone module in the boot/trunk is the same shape and colour as the Bluetooth unit. However, the Bluetooth unit has a 2w93.... part number.
The older non-Bluetooth GSM unit has a 1x43.... part number.
They look the same apart from the part numbers.

The 2w93.... units are basically the old wired phone unit adapted for Bluetooth and in addition require the BTUM unit in the glove box as well and the unit in the boot/trunk.
These can only pair one phone at a time and are not compatible with all the modern phones.

There is a later d2b Bluetooth module that was used in the 2008 X and XJ's. This is a black plastic box and is basically the ford 'MOST' Bluetooth unit adapted for d2b. These require a separate plug in Bluetooth aerial, but no BTUM in the glove box. They can be paired with more than one phone; they work with all the modern phones and you also get a signal strength meter on the display. However, as they are a different size box you need to get imaginative when mounting them in the car. (I have one of these in my STR.)

Mellow

kr98664 (08-03-2020)