S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley - Mina or Eurotoys?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I figured I would do a search on the cobra forums to hear more opinions. This really does not add any value, but at least you get to hear more perspectives and opinions.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...r+steel+pulley

I work for a big aerospace company, so I will ask the aero engineers tomorrow what they their thoughts are. I am sure they will want to know they exact material because there are different grades of Al or Steel. Either way it will be nice to hear a technical opinion.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Regarding the steel pulley: The install instructions warn to be sure you place the steel pulley eactly on the shaft to ensure proper alignment with the pulley's ribs with that of the belt drive pulley's, not doing so may necessitate high heat to expand the pulley for removal then proper placement. High heat can damage the blower snout. This is not the case with the aluminum pulley. Anyone who claims the aluminum pully can slip likely has been sucking on the outlet end of a NO2 nozzle. Unlike other manufacturers who use superchargers with keyed shafts, Jag specifically uses non-keyed shafts due to the extreme super tight clearance of the shaft to pulley equation. Furthermore, there is absolutely no room for dissimilar metal electrolysis to occur. My aluminum 1.5 Mina pulley showed absolutely no sign of electrolysis nor slippage during its nearly one year tenure.

Last edited by bfsgross; 11-22-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rasputin
Not to add fuel to the fire, but I figured I would do a search on the cobra forums to hear more opinions. This really does not add any value, but at least you get to hear more perspectives and opinions.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...r+steel+pulley

I work for a big aerospace company, so I will ask the aero engineers tomorrow what they their thoughts are. I am sure they will want to know they exact material because there are different grades of Al or Steel. Either way it will be nice to hear a technical opinion.
Thanks for the post...I read a bunch of them and it was pretty pointless but I'll cliff note...Apparently a lot of them run a kenny bell SC over 600+ who recommends steel...The only negative about an all aluminum is that you can't take it off without destroying it...Side note, a lot of companys make an aluminum pulley with a steel inner ring...So I stand by my original statement, odds are, neither will make a difference...

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Anyone who claims the aluminum pully can slip likely has been sucking on the outlet end of a NO2 nozzle
Love it; I was in need of some humor Tuesday morning!

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Lol!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
fergs03R, vance580 hit the nail on the head. If you're good with a cutter then you'll save a bunch of time (no jacking engine, etc.) Slice the stock pulley in fourths without cutting into the s/c shaft. The pulleys tension on the shaft should ease (Whoa! Trying to keep it clean here.), then nudge it off. The re-install is much easier, especially that the 1.5 Mina pulley is aluminum.
hey thanks.... eurotoys sent me their instructions and it DID require jacking the engine according to them.... I have no issue cutting off the stock pulley... i have the tools and the skills and the proper pulley/installer... sounds like i can do this without the engine jack in a few hours( depending on beverage intake of course!!)

Old 11-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

What helped me for the install too was a long 2x4 up against the pulley with a buddy holding it then get back at the other end of the 2x4 and hit it with a BFH to press the pulley on that way you have more room to swing and you wont knick up the pulley. Just make you tap it on and its straight before you go to this. It make it going on a lot better since I had more swinging room.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

fergs, if your going to use a pulley puller to pop off the stock pulley, you'll need to raise the motor. There's little room for a puller without the engine raised.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Not to mention my issues with euro toys and mike providing incorrect lower land rover pulley for a jaguar that pushed seal into chain and resulted in all the valves bent on a bank. I feel bad cause I should have caught this and Mike has agreed to help with repairs for their part in this. As I have said, everyone makes mistakes but its how theyre handled when they happen that makes the differance. This is unfortunate as someone with a Jaguar probobly kept their stoker and just got a 4.2l balancer from a junk yard and sent back to Eurotoys for core screwing everyone in the process. Land Rover and Jaguar 4.2's balancers are differant in many areas, this being one even though they look the same at first glance. I have recommended Mike for years and this was a bumpy first time mistake. Its been handled now and everyone is satisfied with the resolve and I apprieciate the great customer service and comminucation to resolve the issue. Makes for a great company...

Last edited by Brutal; 11-20-2013 at 11:37 AM.