S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purpose of Connectors in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purpose of Connectors in Trunk

Can anyone tell me the purpose of these two connectors that are located next to the Park Assist module in the trunk. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Purpose of Connectors in Trunk-p4011004-%5B640x480%5D.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

From recollaction they are something to do with shipping and turning the whole car off, but it has been 6 years since I looked at that.

- Tim

Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Okay, thanks

Old 04-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Those are the connector to the adaptive dampening module if you have electronic shocks. Theyre also what you unplug if you dont want t o buy those expensive electronic shocks when they go bad and you put in standard ones. That will turn off the cats fault message in the inst pack display

Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Interesting that they would go to the expense of putting in the wiring harness for the electronic shocks when it was only an option on my S-type (I believe it was standard on the R models and with the Sport package). From your reply it sounds like the replacement electronic shocks are quite expensive.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by edlaudio
Interesting that they would go to the expense of putting in the wiring harness for the electronic shocks when it was only an option on my S-type (I believe it was standard on the R models and with the Sport package). From your reply it sounds like the replacement electronic shocks are quite expensive.
It's probably part of the main body harness.. It's probably more expensive to get the OEM wiring harness manufacturer to make multiple harnesses with different connectors, etc and go to the trouble of having to install specific harnesses in specific cars based on what options they will be built with. Much easier, more efficient, and probably cheaper to have one universal harness and leave a couple connectors dangling in cars not fitted with the option.

George

Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
It's probably part of the main body harness.. It's probably more expensive to get the OEM wiring harness manufacturer to make multiple harnesses with different connectors, etc and go to the trouble of having to install specific harnesses in specific cars based on what options they will be built with. Much easier, more efficient, and probably cheaper to have one universal harness and leave a couple connectors dangling in cars not fitted with the option.

George
BINGO!!!!!
theyre expensive and Ive never seen them other than a dealer. I have converted more than a few to conventional when the electronic go bad. I can replace all 4 for the price of 2 electronic

Old 04-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

George
Another BINGO from an employee of a global connector supplier to the transportation industry.... BTW it looks like most of the connectors in a Jaguar Harness are Tyco brand...But I haven't finished my little project yet since we aren't a supplier to Jaguar hence I don't have access to a "bill of material" print... Our largest business is Delphi connectors and they are in a lot of cars beyond GM products....

But here is another little tidbit....They do change things, mid-production. Example....Wanted to change the power window switch on my Accord because the drivers side was worn. Had an 05 but got a used switch from a 04. It didn't work because they had changed the connector. Checked with Honda, and it was two different part numbers. Actually took the switch apart and combined the new mechanical top part with the old electrics since the old switch did work fine.. That is just another example of "always check the part numbers" . Even if it looks the same it may not be the same...

Old 04-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Hey Jeff,

Any chance you could source the female side of the connector for the Alpine amplifier..

One of my friends went to the trouble of desoldering the connector off the board of the alpine amp to make a harness. - But if we could find a female, we could plug in adapter harnesess for the factory wiring and in turn leave the car's wiring intact, yet still upgrade the "premium" audio systems.

George

Old 04-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Hey Jeff,

Any chance you could source the female side of the connector for the Alpine amplifier..

One of my friends went to the trouble of desoldering the connector off the board of the alpine amp to make a harness. - But if we could find a female, we could plug in adapter harnesess for the factory wiring and in turn leave the car's wiring intact, yet still upgrade the "premium" audio systems.

George
Maybe... can you get some pictures of the connector and any/all numbers printed or molded on the connector body?