S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Akebono Ceramics Users...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009 | 07:34 PM
|
Default Question for Akebono Ceramics Users...

I had these brake pads installed and noticed a squeeking sound coming from the front only when turning right .... dealer said I need to go back to the stock brake pads and replace rotors...he mentioned that these pads are too big for the rotors and that they're wearing the rotors down faster.... the sound can be described as a scrapping, squeeking sound which is more apparent when turning right and now when turning left as well.... could anyone shed some light on this ..... at first, I thought it was the shims...but hey what do I know?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 10-08-2009 | 10:28 PM
ccc

When I compared the friction area of the Akebono's to the factory Brembo pads, the surface area is a bit smaller. I believe Akebono tries to reuse tooling and internally they try to make sure their replacment friction area is no less then 5 or 10% of the factory. I haven't had any issues with factory pads, EBC reds or the Akebono's. Does your STR have the Brembos or the new Jaguar brakes? Did they measure the rotor thickness and is it within spec?

Old 10-09-2009 | 12:17 AM
|

Hey CCC,

I have the Brembos...The dealer stated that the rotors are a little under spec, can't give you actual figures though.....but I can't seem to figure out where that sound is coming from.... it sounds like shim noise.... but they said otherwise....and it isn't constant and I hear it at about 5mph any faster and it goes away.....hope that helps

Chris

Old 10-09-2009 | 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Have you talked to the person that installed them? Have them take them off and reinstall with the anti-squeel compound again. Also, I've noticed a low speed grinding feel in the past with ceramics, so it may be normal. The fact that it happens when turning would lead me to believe that the anti-squeel compound may help. It may seem silly, but when you turn the wheels the load shifts and the brake pads may be just ever so slightly contacting the rotor as things move... The movements are very small and very normal as the load shifts....

Old 10-09-2009 | 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

My EBC Reds squeak like crazy at a 5-10mph roll, during turning, and under partial braking. Also when it's raining it sounds like someone put sand between the pad and rotor, a really bad grinding sound. It may just be the ceramics, it seems like your have a 50-50 chance them, even if you bed them correctly and use new rotors. I've had many sets that where completely quiet and just as many more that drove me nuts.

Old 10-09-2009 | 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Also another trick the quiet the pads down is to re-bevel the edges because this is usually where squeaks originate..

Old 10-09-2009 | 08:47 AM
ccc

If the rotors are pretty worn, it should have a ridge near the top and a step near the bottom were the old pads didn't contact the rotors. The new pad may be slightly different in size so it can rub until the pads wear to the shape of the rotor. Could be where you turn, it just torques the rotor a bit and cause them to rub a bit more. This may go away after the new pads confirm to the rotor.

The anti-squeel may help and it only takes a min or two to get the old pads out so it should be pretty easy to try. Also they should check that the anti-rattle spring on the top is installed correctly.

I had a grinding sound at one time at it turn out that the left outside parking brake pad was 100% worn out when the others were about 10% worn. It would make a noise only when I turned in one direction. May want to have them check those too

Old 10-09-2009 | 11:15 AM
|

Thanks fellas, much appreciated! I'll keep you posted....

Chris

Old 10-10-2009 | 10:10 AM

Good luck getting it resolved.

Interesting thread, makes me think I should stick with genuine Jaguar rotors and pads. I've been think of going with EBC Redstuff and maybe EBC rotors, but perhaps I should just stay with original parts.