S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: How to turn off annoying ding-dong when seat belt is not on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Get yourself a pair of seat belt extenders. These solid ones that give you an extra 4" to find the receptacle. It's a $10-13 solution. I've been using them for years.
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-10-2023, 05:19 PM
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Just put the seat belts on silly, it might save your *** sometime. If you don't want to, for some reason, I know people who just leave their seat belts buckled all the time to eliminate the chime, etc.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 310 Posts

@ Catmobile: You did not read what I wrote above and you did not understand what the issue is:

I am putting on the seatbelt! I am not looking for a way not to wear the seatbelt! BUT... - I just have my way of doing things and I cannot accept that a bad design-concept of annoying beeping is driving me mad.

I just happen turn the key into the ignition ON position (without starting the engine yet) - as I wrote above - and only then I put on the seatbelt. That is just how I do things and the S-Type dingelingeling stupid seatbelt-design-concept drives me nuts for doing it that way. ALSO: We live at a steep hill - the mailbox is down there and from there is a driveway up the hill to the house. When returning from town, we obviously stop at the mailbox, and we most certainly to not put on the seatbelt to drive up our own driveway!!!

I hope I clarified and explained now sufficiently, as to why the current S-Type-seatbelt-dingelingeling is unacceptable.

I have no doubt that I would find a way to manipulate the detector switch on the seatbelt to stop that nonsense. But the seatbelt of the S-Type comes with a 2nd issue: The latch-in part is located too low and it is always a fight to get the seatbelt in there.

Hence, I did, what someone suggested above an ordered seatbelt extensions, I found nice ones. They should arrive in the mail any day now, I will report back, if they are any good.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 10-10-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

I've been using the extensions for quite some time, primarily to ease getting the seat belts latched. The end of the annoying ding dong is a side benefit. I think you'll like them.

Old 10-11-2023, 04:46 PM
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry Peter, I hope that the extensions work for you. At least it dings, My 1993 F250 has a loud buzzer for everything. I hope that you don't have any other problems with your car too.

Old 10-18-2023, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member

My seat belt extensions from Aliexpress have arrived. Finally I don't have to torture myself anymore trying to place the seat-belt into the misplaced (too far retracted) seat belt receptor.
Obviously the Dinge-linge-ling-ding-dong is history. No more noise-nuisance, when I switch the key to position "ignition ON" before closing the seat belt and no more noise torture, when I drive along on my own driveway without seatbelt.

My wife drove the S-Type with that new feature last night. When she returned, she said: The airbag warning light is on - do you have any idea why?
After 4 seconds, I smiled and replied: Yes, I do.
She: and are you going to tell me why that is?
I: If I would be sitting on the passenger seat, it would not be on... There is a weight sensor on the passenger seat - if the seat belt is closed and I don't sit there, the airbag light is on.

Later on I added: That is because if the seat is not occupied by a heavy adult, the system thinks that there is a child's seat on the front passenger seat, when the seat belt is closed (and as I have put the seat belt extension also into the front passenger seat latch, it thinks, the seat belt is closed...). Only then she told me that it was not just an airbag warning light, but a symbol with airbag and child... So it looks like I can't use the seat belt extension on the passenger side...

PS:
I was driving meanwhile myself with the new extensions... It is very hard indeed to remember to open the seat belt on the extensions and not on the orange latch as before. If you forget where to open the seat belt, the extension has failed its purpose. Sticky tape is not a solution, because of the horrible smeary residue it leaves.
And I only now realized that that airbag warning light for the passenger extension is on the passenger airbag. A simple sticker over that light would solve the issue.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 10-18-2023 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added PS note
Old 10-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Get yourself a pair of seat belt extenders. These solid ones that give you an extra 4" to find the receptacle. It's a $10-13 solution. I've been using them for years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2DHDZFH...roduct_details

The Amazon link was working a few days ago but is now dead. When it was active, shipping was going to be quite slow so I found a similar-looking version and ordered that instead:

Amazon Amazon

It fit just fine and seemed secure. Unfortunately, it did not consistently turn off the warning light/buzzer. If I wiggled it around slightly, it defeated the warning, but it wouldn't always stay that way. I sent them back. Oh well. This was on an '02, so maybe later models are little different.

Old 10-21-2023, 11:44 AM
Received 283 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
If you forget where to open the seat belt, the extension has failed its purpose.

​​​​​​You've been opening it one way for years, you'll need to re-train yourself. This isn't a fault with the extensions.

Old 10-21-2023, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

> You've been opening it one way for years, you'll need to re-train yourself. This isn't a fault with the extensions.

I never wrote it is the fault of the extensions...
Obviously, we have to get used to the new way of opening the seat belt.
It is a bit more difficult for me, as I switch between 4 registered cars all the time.
But I am already managing - after all, there are bigger fish to fry, too, and I managed those:
The 3 Jags have the indicator stalk on the left of the steering wheel, and my van has it on the right... Hence, sometimes, I turn on the wipers at full sunshine...

Old 10-24-2023, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia

My seat belt extensions from Aliexpress have arrived. Finally I don't have to torture myself anymore trying to place the seat-belt into the misplaced (too far retracted) seat belt receptor.
Obviously the Dinge-linge-ling-ding-dong is history. No more noise-nuisance, when I switch the key to position "ignition ON" before closing the seat belt and no more noise torture, when I drive along on my own driveway without seatbelt.

My wife drove the S-Type with that new feature last night. When she returned, she said: The airbag warning light is on - do you have any idea why?
After 4 seconds, I smiled and replied: Yes, I do.
She: and are you going to tell me why that is?
I: If I would be sitting on the passenger seat, it would not be on... There is a weight sensor on the passenger seat - if the seat belt is closed and I don't sit there, the airbag light is on.

Later on I added: That is because if the seat is not occupied by a heavy adult, the system thinks that there is a child's seat on the front passenger seat, when the seat belt is closed (and as I have put the seat belt extension also into the front passenger seat latch, it thinks, the seat belt is closed...). Only then she told me that it was not just an airbag warning light, but a symbol with airbag and child... So it looks like I can't use the seat belt extension on the passenger side...

PS:
I was driving meanwhile myself with the new extensions... It is very hard indeed to remember to open the seat belt on the extensions and not on the orange latch as before. If you forget where to open the seat belt, the extension has failed its purpose. Sticky tape is not a solution, because of the horrible smeary residue it leaves.
And I only now realized that that airbag warning light for the passenger extension is on the passenger airbag. A simple sticker over that light would solve the issue.
Those look strange to me.

Here's what I have in two cars now, one a Lincoln MKX the other my 2005 STR
https://www.amazon.com/ZOEDUL-Comfortable-Driving-Holder-Coaster/dp/B0BV9W98L3/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3N8HP29HZ8C7A&keywords=zoeye+seatb elt+extender&qid=1698166839&sprefix=zoeye+seatbelt +extender%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-5

I also got these to prevent scuffing on the center concole.
https://www.amazon.com/BELOMI-Silicone-Suitable-Seatbelt-Receptacle/dp/B0C5QXW8RY/ref=psdc_15719731_t3_B0BV9W98L3

Old 10-24-2023, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

I could have bought those as well, but it was actually those, which looked "strange" to me: I hate orange.
Functionally it is exactly the same - I just prefer things, which look like designer have been at work - not just functional, but food for the eyes as well... - which is, why I collect Jags.
On a Jag, where I needed scuff protection, I used stick-on felt, which is being sold as protectors for under the furniture to prevent damage to parkette (wood flooring).

Old 10-25-2023, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

They look just like the stock seatbelt receptor ???

Old 10-25-2023, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, That's the point, Not even at Jaguar everything is styled to perfection, which is e.g. why I had to redesign the front facia of X-Type and S-Type...:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...celift-273803/

The last picture shows both - X and S-type.

And another example - more to the point of "orange", which is pretty much the most horrible colour (and the OE seat-belt-latch is orange):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...arkers-273400/

Some people (I saw somewhere in a posting) over-paint these ugly orange reflectors with the colour of their S-Type - I did one better...