Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for S-Type owners.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default A question for S-Type owners.

I thought I'd ask here because I don't want to overtly **** off any X-Type owners but I have question. I thought I'd look at used X-Type wagons and I was quite surprised to see how expensive they are on the used market. So then I looked at X-Type sedans and it was even worse. These cars seem to command an asking price equal to or in some cases superior to that of the S-Type????

Old 04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Staatsof,

It may depend upon a number of factors, including the X-type package options. For example, back in 2007 I purchased a new X-type with the Premium package. This featured upgraded leather (with piping), upgraded wood veneers (walnut), as well as sound system (Alpine 320 Watt). If I remember, the cost of this model new might have been around the same price as a baseline S-type (3.0).

Mileage might be another factor - perhaps the X-type you were looking at had very low miles and it's condition was much more pristine.

- Michael

2007 Jaguar S-type 3.0 Golden Cat

Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Used market so options count for a whole lot less than when new.
A lot, no most listings for the X-Types are more than I paid for my 14K 2005 STR which I got from a BMW dealer.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,650 Likes on 8,320 Posts

A qwik check of X-Types in the greater SoCal, etc, area shows a few. The seller in the top one must be smokin sumpin pretty stout.

Used Jaguar X-Type in 91784 - Cars.com

Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

To give you guys some perspective, here's what the cars are doing at the auction right now.

I selected 2005 Models (as Bob mentioned), X-Type 3.0, and S-Type 3.0, 4.2, and R's.

First the X-Type:

S-Type 3.0:

S-Type 4.2:

And Finally STR:

As you can see the values, especially of the 4.2 and R have dropped dramatically. Mostly because of the price of gas. You should see the plummet in SUV pricing.

Take care,

George

Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

Tose aren't wagon prices but they still indicate that some dealers may be a bit optomistic. This morning wagons seem a 3 or 4 grand higher than the sedan.
I'm kind of surprised by that. Oh well looks like the X-Type wagon is too expensive for me. Thanks George.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Bob,

X-Type wagons are really hard to find, at least in my area (northern VA). If you do find one, expect to pay dearly for one. Due to that I wound up with an Audi A6 wagon as a second car. Generally speaking, it seems as though X-Type sedans are going for between $1K and $2K cheaper than an S-Type.

Mike

Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

"As you can see the values, especially of the 4.2 and R have dropped dramatically. Mostly because of the price of gas. You should see the plummet in SUV pricing."

Same with Corvettes. I've been looking for about a month now. Asking prices and selling are two different things. Dealers and most Private sellers are still clinging to inflated NADA or KBB prices. The only ones I'm seeing sell are thousands less.

I've emailed a couple dealers asking what they would take for ones I been interested in. They both came back with the listed price even though they have had the cars since last year. Sorta hard to figure but I'm not a used car dealer.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Tose aren't wagon prices but they still indicate that some dealers may be a bit optomistic. This morning wagons seem a 3 or 4 grand higher than the sedan.
I'm kind of surprised by that. Oh well looks like the X-Type wagon is too expensive for me. Thanks George.
Bob,

Here's what MMR has to say on the wagons. Unfortunately only 2 have been through the auction system in the past year, but their prices don't seem out of line with the sedans.

Bodyman: - Not all used car dealers are the sharpest tools in the sheds. Private sellers are worse. What year vette are you looking for, I can give you an idea of what they are going for at the auction.

Take care,

George

Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Mike. I haven't even driven an X-Type but I would have expected them to be quite a bit less than a S-Type. I'm wrong so I'll just have to look at something else. Not an Audi though. I may just try for another low mileage Sable or Taurus wagon. Those are about half of what the Jags are going for and bigger to boot.

Just curious why the X-Type wagon requires a premium? The scarcity argument is hard to swallow. They're smaller than an Audi wagon. So are they that great?

Originally Posted by carelm
Bob,

X-Type wagons are really hard to find, at least in my area (northern VA). If you do find one, expect to pay dearly for one. Due to that I wound up with an Audi A6 wagon as a second car. Generally speaking, it seems as though X-Type sedans are going for between $1K and $2K cheaper than an S-Type.

Mike

Old 04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Mike. I haven't even driven an X-Type but I would have expected them to be quite a bit less than a S-Type. I'm wrong so I'll just have to look at something else. Not an Audi though. I may just try for another low mileage Sable or Taurus wagon. Those are about half of what the Jags are going for and bigger to boot.

Just curious why the X-Type wagon requires a premium? The scarcity argument is hard to swallow. They're smaller than an Audi wagon. So are they that great?
Personally as an X-Type and S-Type owner, I wouldn't recommend the X-Type to anyone really at this point. AWD is great, but the car just isn't put together well inside or outside other than that, lot of small problems the S-Type just doesn't seem to suffer from. The wagons do look kind of attractive (well for a station wagon).

Does BMW make AWD wagons at this point?

Take care,

George

Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Personally as an X-Type and S-Type owner, I wouldn't recommend the X-Type to anyone really at this point. AWD is great, but the car just isn't put together well inside or outside other than that, lot of small problems the S-Type just doesn't seem to suffer from. The wagons do look kind of attractive (well for a station wagon).

Does BMW make AWD wagons at this point?

Take care,

George
Former X Type owner....I would painfully have to agree with George. The earlier, less expensive years that are in the Northeast may be subject to A-pillar rot from the inside out in the door jambs. As well as quite a few other issues. Later years the issues seem to be resolved for the most part.

I still really like the car but don't know if I could recommend it. I've seen a few wagons around here, they are pretty cool for a wagon, except the straight-on rear end view...doesn't really have a distinctive Jag look. I don't know why there would be a premium on them, more space I guess.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

I was thinking 2005 and up. Still an issue? But they are overpriced IMHO unless you're an X-Type owner!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Former X Type owner....I would painfully have to agree with George. The earlier, less expensive years that are in the Northeast may be subject to A-pillar rot from the inside out in the door jambs. As well as quite a few other issues. Later years the issues seem to be resolved for the most part.

I still really like the car but don't know if I could recommend it. I've seen a few wagons around here, they are pretty cool for a wagon, except the straight-on rear end view...doesn't really have a distinctive Jag look. I don't know why there would be a premium on them, more space I guess.
My car has no rot on it, but the transfer case growls when it's cold, the suspension always seems to have some sort of moan and groan. The edges of the airbag are lifting from the wheel, the leather is crap and actually split a little bit on the passenger side. My A/C has had issues, the battery / charging system works ok but intermittently throws a warning light. Now, as of recently, I've been getting an intermittent ABS code for a wheel speed sensor failure.

The leather and generally the interior is of a much poorer build quality than the S-Type. Especially little things like the door panel clips that break, (yet the S-Types are good), the leather feels like pleather relative to the S-Type's leather, etc, and I have a FULLY optioned X-Type, and a base S-Type (I even had to add homelink). For cars that were probably priced around the same from the factory, the S-Type is superior in just about every way.

Take care,

George

Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

I was thinking 2005 and up. Still an issue? But they are overpriced IMHO unless you're an X-Type owner!
The station wagon is probably overpriced. For some reason the X-Types that come across the auction block seem to have much less mileage on them than the S-Types that do. (Maybe dealers are holding and retailing the lower mile S-Types).

At the same age and miles, there's a decent price difference between X and S type.

Take care,

George

Old 04-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

George if you are a brave man, go ahead and poke around the metal around where your doors bolt to the A pillars. If you are braver, pull off one of the side sills and examine the drain holes that are most likely clogged.

I hope yours is clean and knowing how much attention your vehicles receive you are probably right it is rust free. But it comes from the inside out....not always obvious. Mine looked perfectly fine, not a mark, then one day I noticed a rust bubble in the paint by the door hinges and put a pencil right through it.

I went through 4 rear ABS reluctor rings during the 6 years I had the X. It comes as a half shaft assembly ($), although if you are really handy or have more time than I do, you can get around that.

Suspension moans and groans are your bushings - control arm and swaybar usually. You can get away with just lubing them to shut them up most of the time.

Also replaced (mostly under warranty):
Steering rack
Fuel sender unit
Water pump
Front door latch mechanisms
Park aid sensors (about annually)
3 prop shafts
Transfer case
Transmission (that one hurt - at 82k mi)

And I do agree the S's interior is far superior. The base X type stereo also kinda sucks although with new speakers mine was decent.

2005 on up, a lot of these things were fixed and not common problems anymore although I still wouldn't trust that tranny.

Unless you HAD to have AWD, I'd take an S any day of the week, yet I still do like the X type and don't know why.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

This is why I asked this in the S-Type section. I don't want to start any wars. For the record, I was only asking about prices. Thanks for all the input guys.

I have a 140K mile Sable wagon that has a lot of those same issues George. It was pretty decent until about 80K miles but we drove it hard with a lot of time spent of the 1&9 over the last 10 years which up where I live is just hell for a car. It's been hit half a dozen times by idiots too including one of those huge UPS trailers so I think it's done pretty well. We just need another whipping boy of a car for the daily combat around here. The X-Type wagons are too expensive and maybe a bit too nice looking.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
George if you are a brave man, go ahead and poke around the metal around where your doors bolt to the A pillars. If you are braver, pull off one of the side sills and examine the drain holes that are most likely clogged.

I hope yours is clean and knowing how much attention your vehicles receive you are probably right it is rust free. But it comes from the inside out....not always obvious. Mine looked perfectly fine, not a mark, then one day I noticed a rust bubble in the paint by the door hinges and put a pencil right through it.

I went through 4 rear ABS reluctor rings during the 6 years I had the X. It comes as a half shaft assembly ($), although if you are really handy or have more time than I do, you can get around that.

Suspension moans and groans are your bushings - control arm and swaybar usually. You can get away with just lubing them to shut them up most of the time.

Also replaced (mostly under warranty):
Steering rack
Fuel sender unit
Water pump
Front door latch mechanisms
Park aid sensors (about annually)
3 prop shafts
Transfer case
Transmission (that one hurt - at 82k mi)

And I do agree the S's interior is far superior. The base X type stereo also kinda sucks although with new speakers mine was decent.

2005 on up, a lot of these things were fixed and not common problems anymore although I still wouldn't trust that tranny.

Unless you HAD to have AWD, I'd take an S any day of the week, yet I still do like the X type and don't know why.
I should consider myself damn lucky then considering the experience I've had with my X-Type.

It's an 03 with 117k on it right now. I'll check the spots you noted for rust when I get home although I doubt it has rust, but still.

I got the car in late 05 with 41k. It's still on the original transfer case, propshaft, wheel speed sensors etc. Only time it's left me stranded was an alternator, back in 08. Water pump etc are original.

It has a typical oil pan gasket leak, but the transverse mount motor makes it a huge PITA relative to the S-Type to fix. The A/C now holds a charge for a season, sometimes it needs a top off...

Its gotten a new battery, belts, brakes etc...

Other than that everything is original.

I kind of put myself behind the 8 ball with that car. I bought it TOO new, and paid too much for it. Then when I decided I wanted something else, I got the S-Type, but wasn't willing to part with the X for what it was then worth. So I kept it around and drove it as a beater. Now, its more compounded in terms of do I drive it into the ground and eventually part it out? OR do I sell it for the 4k ish I can get for it?

Take care,

George

Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,650 Likes on 8,320 Posts

My wife had an 03 X-Type 3.0 years ago and in late June 2007, we took a trip to Ft Mojave AZ, (adjacent to and south of Bullhead City) to visit my son. Bad time of year to go there, temps were above 90* the entire trip and the Jag did not skip a beat even with the air on all of the time. IIRC, 29 mpg average for the trip crusin 75 + - from Victorville to Needles. It was 117* when we stepped out of the car at his home (111* in Needles)
NEVER AGAIN THAT TIME OF YEAR....
It ran real good the entite time, no problems...

Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah Bob if you want a war wagon look elsewhere I agree. I haven't seen an Asian maker wagon for years....do they even still make them? Accord wagon might be a good ticket for a beater but I don't know if they still exist. Seems like minivans and crossovers/suv's pushed most automakers out of the segment.

I forgot George, I had my oil pan gasket leak fixed during the tranny replacement. Figured it was good timing for that one. I drove that X up and down the east coast and it never failed to get me there or home, I will say that.

Quick Reply: A question for S-Type owners.