S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for S-Type owners.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Yeah Bob if you want a war wagon look elsewhere I agree. I haven't seen an Asian maker wagon for years....do they even still make them? Accord wagon might be a good ticket for a beater but I don't know if they still exist. Seems like minivans and crossovers/suv's pushed most automakers out of the segment.

Subaru Outback? I got an older one for Lauries new beater car. Not sure if they still make em?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Personally as an X-Type and S-Type owner, I wouldn't recommend the X-Type to anyone really at this point. AWD is great, but the car just isn't put together well inside or outside other than that, lot of small problems the S-Type just doesn't seem to suffer from. The wagons do look kind of attractive (well for a station wagon).

Does BMW make AWD wagons at this point?

Take care,

George
George,

In my area, there are about 7 BMW AWD wagons for sale in Autotrader. Prices are from $9K for a 2001 3 series with about 100K to about $20K for a 2007 5 series with 58K. Subaru Outbacks and Audi A4/A6 wagons are going for about $3K less than an equivalent BMW wagon. I wanted an AWD to deal with the crappy winters we normally get, but this year we dodged a number of bullets you got up in NJ. I think Mercedes also makes an AWD wagon. The Taurus and Sable wagons are decent winter cars even though they are FWD. A decent one should be around $4K or so would be my guess.

Mike

Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyman
Subaru Outback? I got an older one for Lauries new beater car. Not sure if they still make em?
Oh yeah Jim...for some reason I don't think Subaru and Asian but you are absolutely right. And the Outbacks are everywhere, both Legacy and Impreza based sizes, he could probably find one for a reasonable cost.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Would you believe first Japanesse car I ever bought? I should have it done in about a week. Then I can get back to more important projects. Seems pretty nice from what I can tell. I have a customer that is on his third one. He would probably still have the second but it got totaled. Seems to be a lot of customer loyalty if that counts for anything.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

For sure. "Subie" people are very loyal - remind me of SAAB people (like me) although probably slightly more rational. LOL....

Old 04-22-2011, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

OK I guess I should respond.

I'm not buying a used car with high mileage car that requires expensive parts.
Jag & Audi & BMW & Mercedes => OUT!

I already HAVE a high mileage car. The goal to rectify that situation. Economically.

I always look for a deal. Don't we all. I'm patient.

The front wheel drive on the Sable has been more than adequate in snow & ice. Nothing works on ice ... Repair costs haven't been outrageous and it;s been a pretty decent car. The mileage is so so, 16-17 city and a reliable 23-25 mpg on the highway. It drives like a cheap unsophisticated Ford. It's also an incredibly useful vehicle.

Subarus are just too small. Maybe the X wagon would be as well?

So I asked about the X-Type wagon. Thanks for all the replies guys. It's become clear to me that the people selling these things think way too much of them to allow me to think about one of these. Well maybe George isn't so hot on them ...

It even has the same basic engine as my Sable. I hope it's tuned better in the Jag though I see that the Jag requires premium. Not so good for what I need.

Thanks.

Bob

Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
OK I guess I should respond.

I'm not buying a used car with high mileage car that requires expensive parts.
Jag & Audi & BMW & Mercedes => OUT!

I already HAVE a high mileage car. The goal to rectify that situation. Economically.

I always look for a deal. Don't we all. I'm patient.

The front wheel drive on the Sable has been more than adequate in snow & ice. Nothing works on ice ... Repair costs haven't been outrageous and it;s been a pretty decent car. The mileage is so so, 16-17 city and a reliable 23-25 mpg on the highway. It drives like a cheap unsophisticated Ford. It's also an incredibly useful vehicle.

Subarus are just too small. Maybe the X wagon would be as well?

So I asked about the X-Type wagon. Thanks for all the replies guys. It's become clear to me that the people selling these things think way too much of them to allow me to think about one of these. Well maybe George isn't so hot on them ...

It even has the same basic engine as my Sable. I hope it's tuned better in the Jag though I see that the Jag requires premium. Not so good for what I need.

Thanks.

Bob
Bob,

If you can narrow it down to a few / makes and models we can get you one at almost wholesale through the dealer auctions. E-mail me or call me for details.

As far as the Subaru, I know they are decent cars and their owners swear by them and are fiercely loyal, but every time I've ridden in one I can't help but think that their suspension engineers haven't discovered springs.... LOL.

Take care,

George

Old 04-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks George.

Knock $2K off of this and I think I'd be pretty happy with something like this.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Happy being a relative term in this situation.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Thanks George.

Knock $2K off of this and I think I'd be pretty happy with something like this.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Happy being a relative term in this situation.
Bob,

You're not going to find one with that low of mileage at the auction. Dealers cherry pick those and don't wholesale them.

On the other hand, how does one with 50-60k for 6k ish sound?

That certainly seems to be doable:

Take care,

George