S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those with 1.5 Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Question for those with 1.5 Pulley

SO I am looking to pull the trigger on the pulley. I was emailed instructins by both Mina and Eurotoys.

Mina touts cutting the OEM off and Euro states to go wth the removal install tool...which I like better but They also show that you need to drain the coolant, remove coolant pipes and the possibility you need to jack up the engine to clear the radiator with the tool.

So, I ask those who have done this for their experience with the install..I just want to see what i am up against.

I have replaced every pulley on my SC cars, I have never cut the pulley off but this one with the tool seems a PITA

Thanks!!

Last edited by fergs03R; 02-17-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I cut mine but I prefer to use the pulley puller, I use a regular gear puller from advance, I didnt have a torch to heat it up so the install took forever. Its a big PITA without the right tools.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by super_jag
I cut mine but I prefer to use the pulley puller, I use a regular gear puller from advance, I didnt have a torch to heat it up so the install took forever. Its a big PITA without the right tools.
One point that Mike @ Eurotech made was to quote "under no circumstances, heat up the shaft"
I dont like claw pullers for sc's. I am totally fine with the rental from Eurotoys as I have always used the exact puller/installer they rent...I just was curious if the whole cooling system drain and possible jacking up of engine was mandatory.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fergs03R
One point that Mike @ Eurotech made was to quote "under no circumstances, heat up the shaft"
I dont like claw pullers for sc's. I am totally fine with the rental from Eurotoys as I have always used the exact puller/installer they rent...I just was curious if the whole cooling system drain and possible jacking up of engine was mandatory.
the puller tool from eurotoys is great. with the tool, removal and installation was a breeze. You do have to remove a lot of coolant hoses along with the expansion tank, so it does require draining the coolant. That is a perfect time to install a lower temperature thermostat if desired. I did not have to jack up the engine. I went with the 2.5 pulley so by far the worst part was grinding down the snout of the s/c... glad that is over with

Old 02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fergs03R
SO I am looking to pull the trigger on the pulley. I was emailed instructins by both Mina and Eurotoys.

Mina touts cutting the OEM off and Euro states to go wth the removal install tool...which I like better but They also show that you need to drain the coolant, remove coolant pipes and the possibility you need to jack up the engine to clear the radiator with the tool.

So, I ask those who have done this for their experience with the install..I just want to see what i am up against.

I have replaced every pulley on my SC cars, I have never cut the pulley off but this one with the tool seems a PITA

Thanks!!
When my pulley was installed, the factory pulley was cut off. I too would have preferred the Eurotoys puller but, as you can see, that didn't happen.

Even though I had the pulley cut, I still had to drain the coolant as the expansion tank has to be removed in order for there to be enough clearance to actually get the pulley out. The shop in which the work was performed forgot to bleed the system and as a result, my car overheated 5 minutes after leaving the shop which, I later found out, cooked my thermostat.

I have since replaced this thermostat with the Eurotoys Low-Temp unit and it is working out very well!

In any case, here is a long writeup of the process I went through:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=13206

On the first page of that thread, there will be a couple videos, one of which is a dyno video. The car put down 340rwhp versus 323rwhp in stock form. Unfortunately, I didn't do a baseline run on my car. The 323rwhp number comes from a similar 2004 XJR that was put on the dyno for reference purposes. (It's always nice to be on good terms with the service advisor as he gave me that XJR as a loaner )

So the pulley did add a bit of power, but if you are looking for a huge kick in the pants, you won't feel much, if anything, from the 1.5lb pulley; However, at least you know that it still did add power!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Ok thanks, especially for the steps patrick... at least now i know that it is what it is and i will need to do the coolant process. i do have the lower temp stat on the way as well as a new gatorback style belt( dayco cog) so it looks like ill do it all at once one afternoon....hope its worth it!!