S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about buying my first jag

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about buying my first jag

Hu guys.. Its always been a dream of mine to own a jag..

So now i found one but its not exactly how i wanted it..

Its a 2005 model s type 2.7 d with 116 000 kms for 6.500 euros... Dark grey..

Is this a good deal? I would also like to change the exhaust to straight pipes.. Do i only need to change the tip of the exhaust or the entire exhaust ?

I also would like to know what the size of the rims should be.. Like 4x115 or 5x110...

Regards,
Alevo

Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Welcome. Avoid moving too fast...allow a competent mechanic to look the car over. Take care in altering the exhaust. Research carefuly before forging ahead.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 AM

Hi bfsgross!

The car looks extremely clean on the in & outside.. It has always been to a Jaguar dealer for maintenance.

The exhaust: can I only change the tip of it so it goes straight instead of curving down ?

Old 09-12-2012, 04:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,848 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Welcome. Avoid moving too fast...allow a competent mechanic to look the car over. Take care in altering the exhaust. Research carefuly before forging ahead.
+1 to this advice.

Jaguars generally look good inside and out. Many have bought one in haste only to discover some expensive mechanical issue which they overlooked in the initial inspection and test.

Follow this link S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the S-Type section and look at the HOW TO thread there for common issues with this model.

If you don't know Jaguars in general and the S-Type in particular, have an independent engineer check it for you.

Graham

Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by alevo
Hu guys.. Its always been a dream of mine to own a jag..

So now i found one but its not exactly how i wanted it..

Its a 2005 model s type 2.7 d with 116 000 kms for 6.500 euros... Dark grey..

Is this a good deal? I would also like to change the exhaust to straight pipes.. Do i only need to change the tip of the exhaust or the entire exhaust ?

I also would like to know what the size of the rims should be.. Like 4x115 or 5x110...

Regards,
Alevo
First of all the price seems not bad when comparing the used car prices here in the UK.
With regard to your question about the exhaust. Being a diesel, it would be best to leave it as the manufacturer intended.
From what you say, the car is not fitted with a DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) hence the end of the exhaust pipes are sloped to deflect the exhaust downwards towards the road surface. Later on in 2005 and to meet legislation requirements, Jaguar, along with all other manufacturers were forced to fit the DPF unit, which in some cases has proved to be very troublesome depending on the mileage pattern usage. Doing very short daily mileage where no high speeds are involved, can lead to the DPF clogging up, known as non regeneration of the DPF unit, a process which clears the unit of particulate build up. If this function fails it can lead to diesel fuel being passed into the engine oil and cause all sorts of problems, with complete engine seizure having been know to happen. To identify 2.7 Diesels fitted with a DPF, they have straight cut exhaust pipes as per the petrol models.
So, if the car you are looking at is a none DPF model, then it may be worth your while considering it for the above reasons.
Following the introduction of the DPF, Jaguar has done more work in resolving some of the issue associated with it, and matters have improved somewhat with new software setting etc., being available.
Hope this is of assistance to you.
Regards
Inver.

Last edited by InverStype; 09-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 AM

Hi guys! Thanks for all the advice.

It's a 04/2005 model withouth the DPF unit! I also had it checked and everything seemed alright. The owner was an older gentleman.

I am 24 years old and I can tell you alot of heads are turning on the road when I'm driving this! I love how it rides..... It's so much different than a mercedes or bmw..

Are there any other known reliability issues I should be aware of driving this car?

Regards,
Alevo

Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,516 Likes on 3,927 Posts

The same as petrol ones and in addition they're prone to problems with MAFs, EGR, turbos and coolant getting into gearbox. And of course high-pressure fuel pumps are prone to fail as to some extent are injectors. Pray the glow plugs behave as they're a swine to change.

The UK forum is the place for diesels as they're quite common there (whereas they were never sold into USA/Canada, perhaps because they won't meet emissions laws).

Last edited by JagV8; 09-14-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM

I'm not sure what MAF or EGR means.. Could you please clarify?

Also on the handbook it says the consumption should be 7.9l/100km .. on various auto test sites it says around 9l/100km .. However mine is always around 10 - 11 l /100km and I'm not even driving that fastly.. ?

Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by alevo
I'm not sure what MAF or EGR means.. Could you please clarify?

Also on the handbook it says the consumption should be 7.9l/100km .. on various auto test sites it says around 9l/100km .. However mine is always around 10 - 11 l /100km and I'm not even driving that fastly.. ?
Hi Alevo,
The MAF is short for, Mass Air Flow sensor. It measures the amount of air being drawn into the engine and instructs the ECU, Engine Management Control Unit on how much fuel should be supplied to the engine at any given moment.

The ERG, Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, this passes exhaust gases back into the engine and helps to improve fuel consumption and improves emission levels etc. This valve can become clog up and requires cleaning out from time to time, and if you are experiencing heavier fuel consumption, it may help to have it checked and if necessary cleaned out to see if this improves the fuel consumption figure. Also have the Air Filter checked as these can become very dirty also and may require a new replacement element.

Hope you enjoy your new to you Jaguar and have many happy miles with it. Link to the UK Forum where you will find lots of information regarding the 2.7 Diesel engine. www.jaguarforum.co.uk

Is it an automatic or manual gearbox, if automatic, it would be wise if this has not been done already, to have the transmission oil changed at the mileage your car has done. Another factor comes to mind which can affect the fuel consumption, and that is to make sure when cruising, that the car has moved into 6th Gear (Top Gear). It has been known that you can be travelling in 5th gear as the transmission has not fully locked up and thereby not allowing 6th gear to engage. Naturally if this is happening, this will increases your fuel consumption.

Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by InverStype; 09-15-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,516 Likes on 3,927 Posts

When all else fails try the link in my signature (or google!)

The UK forum has many posts about the diesels...

BTW, the reason for EGR is to reduce NOx emissions. Anything else is secondary. Sadly diesels do not reduce NOx adequately as has been reported (UK cities failing their air quality limits).

Last edited by JagV8; 09-14-2012 at 04:30 PM.