S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick AC question high side/low side

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default quick AC question high side/low side

The other day I was out driving ( 2005 jag STYPE R) when I decided to run my ac. After about 10 minutes I noticed it was not blowing cold, I turned it off and on with the same results, tired it that whole day as I was making a 3 hr drive, but no cold air. The air that was coming out the vents was about 10 dgrees colder then outsdie air, that day. so I knew I need to check it. I had not used my AC all winter so this is the first time I turned it on in the last 6 months.

Today ( about 1 week later), I connected my AC Manifold gauges with the CAR turned off, and got a high side reading of 175 and low side 70.

The outside temps are around 90 degrees today.

Then, I turned on the car, and the AC as well.( set AC to full cold with "recir" on as well) I placed a meat thermostat into my vent.

I was assuming it would not blow cold air(like it did the other day), but it started blowing cold air right away. Let it run for about 15 minutes with my manifold gauges connected. After 15 minutes car still running, I noticed the gauges were at 225(high) and 32-35(low).. Insdie meat thermostat was at 54 degrees.

From all my reading I believe my low side is correct. Buy my high side should be at 175, so it is about 50psi to high.

Or am I misdiagnosing the reading.. Any suggestion or help will be appreciated. thanks.

******************Fixed*************************** ***** 5/31/2012--Posted at 5:17pm pst

Ok guys, I believe I figured out the problem.
1. about one month a go I did some preventive maintenance on my JAg. Here is a link to what I did:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-belts-70853/

but to sum it up in included all belts, valve cover gaskets/ DCCV/ other hose, etc..

2. For all the stuff above, I need to take out the fresh air box( the box the holds the interior Cabin air filter) and the surrounding cover. Well I just put it back in today, and what was happening was since I did not have my Cabin-air-filter box in, and the Recir button was not on, it was drawing all the hot air for the engine bay(while at idle), causing the AC to be overwhelmed with the hot air. When I turned on the RECIR button it would close the flap(on the firewall), not allowing any hot engine air to enter in the the interior, allowing the AC to work..

3. Well I put the Fresh air box back in along with a new cabin air filter, tided everything up and my ac is working just fine. It was 97 degrees out today, my vent temps were 47 with recir on. When I turn the reci button off it stated at 47, if I let the car sit at idle for 10 minutes it raised to about 53, upon driving for another 10 minutes it went back down to 51 degrees. Figuring it is 97degrees today, I think the AC is working fine. --anyway hope this helps someone else.. thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited by styper2003; 05-31-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Fixed problem
Old 05-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Does the compressor cycle a lot??

I would be more suspicious of the DCCV but you don't mention any temperature difference from side to side?

The A/C does not have many problems but a few people have had to replace compressors.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:40 PM

I just did my DVVC along with a bunch of other small stuff on my car.. I did the DVVC in the winter about 3 months ago. My old DVVC was fine, i put in a new one cause the car has 70k, and was doing some preventive maintenance.

In terms of the compressor cycling, not sure, as I only drove it that one day and when I was testing it today, with the my AC manifold gauges , it seems like it just stayed on, and was not cycling at all.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

Did you see Ricks thread in the FAQs? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-55219/

You may be able to see the pressures in his pic if not he may tell you!
He had a temp of 42.4deg I was recently looking at my service report from the dealer when the changed the condensor and they had 46deg, I've done some checks on a couple of vehicles recently (in AZ) and was getting mid 40s so I think that's whatyou are aiming at.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 PM

Yes, I did read thru Ricks thread, as well as a few others.

Here is an update. I took the car out for a drive. It seem when I driving over 50mph(freeway), the car is showing 46 degrees in the vent. Outside temp is 91. When I come to a stop it goes up to about 50. This is with the recir button on. Asoon as I turn the RECIR button off, the temp rise to 70.

so here is the scenario.

Recir on-->Vent temp show 46-50 degrees, at all times, weather stopped or driving.

Recir off--> when driving over 50mph vent temp show 50. But when I come to a compete stop vent temp goes to 70. if I sit there at a compete stop with the AC on and and turn on the Recir button, the temp drops back down to 50.

I am know begin to believe one components of the AC system is defective. just not sure what to check next.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM

You could clamp off the feed to the heater cores from the DCCV and see what that does.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

had a similar situation on my 03 STR recently, after running codes on the ac module , checking pressures and all the usual system checks, my ac was still running warm or damn close to ambient at idle and somewhat cool on the freeway. Pressures were 70 low side at idle and roughly say 175-180 high side. long story short drop the bottom pan under the engine and look at the back side of the compressor, if you have a small black plate held on with 2 10mm bolts then you could have the small valve / plunger problem. i followed the X-type tsb to remove the valve/spring flip it and re install. end result is like being in the artic, was a free fix minus R-134a could not be happier. you have a later model so this may or may not apply to you though. best of luck ! oh, after the fix the pressures at idle are back to the 225/40 range on a 90 degree day, dont remember what the temp is inside but frosty nonetheless

Last edited by 93XJR-S; 05-30-2012 at 08:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jag79 (05-31-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Default TSB info

cant hurt to take a look.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
s960_01_00.pdf (8.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Dirty condenser?

If you live in an area that has lots of trees like cottonwoods or others that have fluffy seed pods, you might have a clogged condenser. Backwash it with a garden hose to clean it off. I've seen this before around this time of year. there are lots of cotton wood trees in my area and the seeds get sucked up into anything that doesn't have a filter. I actually built a screened fram to put around my house A/C unit so it doesn't get plugged also.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 93XJR-S
had a similar situation on my 03 STR recently, after running codes on the ac module , checking pressures and all the usual system checks, my ac was still running warm or damn close to ambient at idle and somewhat cool on the freeway. Pressures were 70 low side at idle and roughly say 175-180 high side. long story short drop the bottom pan under the engine and look at the back side of the compressor, if you have a small black plate held on with 2 10mm bolts then you could have the small valve / plunger problem. i followed the X-type tsb to remove the valve/spring flip it and re install. end result is like being in the artic, was a free fix minus R-134a could not be happier. you have a later model so this may or may not apply to you though. best of luck ! oh, after the fix the pressures at idle are back to the 225/40 range on a 90 degree day, dont remember what the temp is inside but frosty nonetheless
Wow, you just hit the nail in the coffin on what you mentioned. That is exactly what the jag tech told me also when I went in to get an ac recharge. Behind the compressor is that pressure plate or valve that goes bad and whenever you are on stand still the ac doesn't want to blow cold air only if you increase the rpm then it starts to get cold. The jag tech told me to run the ac constantly to get the valve working fully. Before I haven't been really running my ac a whole lot so that's why im running into the same problem but now it's getting better.
By any chance you still have a link to the X-type tsb to remove the valve/spring flip it and re install? I too have a 03" Str and this might just fix the problem once it gets worse.
Thanks.

Last edited by jag79; 05-30-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM

no problem, if it is indeed the issue access is tight! there are the tranny cooler or power steering hard lines in the way, I found the easiest method was to unbolt the retainer that holds them in place and carefully move them down and to the side as best as possible. it can be a hassle to get the plate back on with the spring sticking out i left the bottom bolt and plate attached and just let the plate swing down. I waste 30 on a new valve prior to been directed to this free fix oh well. nothing that cant be accomplished in an hour or so

Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

no problem, if it is indeed the issue access is tight! there are the tranny cooler or power steering hard lines in the way, I found the easiest method was to unbolt the retainer that holds them in place and carefully move them down and to the side as best as possible. it can be a hassle to get the plate back on with the spring sticking out i left the bottom bolt and plate attached and just let the plate swing down. I waste 30 on a new valve prior to been directed to this free fix oh well. nothing that cant be accomplished in an hour or so
Thanks, so basically I won't have to remove the ac compressor out to fix it? Do you still have any instructions on the procedure to fix the valve spring etc...?? Or what to search for exactly on the x type threads to get it?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM

Ok, I will drop pan tomorrow and look for the plate on the AC compressor in my 2005.. My pressure at idle are 35low and 225 high today (it is 90degree outside today, this sounds lilke it might be ok? please verify?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 PM

certainly, all you really need to do is evacuate the system properly, jack the drivers side up at least if not both, drop the pan, now look at the back of the compressor, if equipped you will see the plate and two bolts on the back of the compressor. I removed the top bolt completely and left just the last few threads holding the bottom on. As stated, there is a bolt and retainer holding the two power steering lines a little further back from the compressor remove the bolt and wiggle the lines carefully out of the way as best as possible. with the plate hanging you should see the smooth side of the valve, just push it in a bit and release it should pop out enough for you to grab it and remove, the spring is attached to the valve and will come out at the same time, shine a flashlight up and inspect the oring, if ok just leave it be and reuse. Pop the spring off of the valve, then push the valve back into the compressor with the flat side facing out (same as it was before) now put the spring back in the hole (you will have to fiddle with it to get it to compress a bit while you swing the plate back up and let the plate and bottom bolt hold it all in place while you get a few threads started on the top bolt) it can be a pain to do this due to the limited access. At this point tighten the two bolts down, pull a vacuum and let it hold for at least 15 min to check for a leak then recharge. Sorry if this is long winded there seems to be some confusion sometimes as to the orientation of the spring and valve on reassembly. Don't forget to put the lines back in place along with the retainer/ bolt

jag79 (05-31-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 PM

Styper2003- before going to the trouble of pulling the pan etc. have you taken your car in ? I would be inclined (if you do not wish to do so yourself) to have a competent shop recover, vacuum, and recharge your system to the correct level (1lb 11oz +/-1oz. per my 03') and give it a try. Sorry to have hijacked your thread a bit there. another great resource at the following address: www.jaguarcllimatecontrol.com

Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 AM

93xjr--I have not thought of taken it in for service, yet. I have the tools even a digital micron gauge to show vacuum. The only thing I can not due is add oil, from my understanding there(shop) machines can add oil for the compressor and r134 very precisely.

Of course I would be holding a vacuum at 500 micron then weighing the the charge with a digital kitchen scale.

Can anyone answer a few question for me, if my idle pressure are correct? 35 low side and 225 high? Since I am not getting 41-45degree vent temps, I am assuming I have a problem. As well as when I hit my "recir button" the car cools when I am running at idle, I only get down to 45-50 degrees but it is cooling pretty good, but as soon as i turn off the recir button, temps go up to 70degrees.

I thought the Recirulc button on/off opens and closes outside vent for fresh air in?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

That sounds like the DCCV is not closing off the hot water fully. In recirc the a/c manages eventually to cool the air but non-recirc it can't fight the DCCV fully.

(Or it's the compressor as above.)

Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by jag79
By any chance you still have a link to the X-type tsb to remove the valve/spring flip it and re install? I too have a 03" Str and this might just fix the problem once it gets worse.
Thanks.
Here you go.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTB00183NAS1[1] AC Valve.pdf (142.3 KB, 172 views)
jag79 (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
Here you go.

Thanks Norri, I'm guessing they never made one just specifically for the V8 or Super Charger models for this Bulletin even though its for the V6 models of the S and X types?

Last edited by jag79; 05-31-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

certainly, all you really need to do is evacuate the system properly, jack the drivers side up at least if not both, drop the pan, now look at the back of the compressor, if equipped you will see the plate and two bolts on the back of the compressor. I removed the top bolt completely and left just the last few threads holding the bottom on. As stated, there is a bolt and retainer holding the two power steering lines a little further back from the compressor remove the bolt and wiggle the lines carefully out of the way as best as possible. with the plate hanging you should see the smooth side of the valve, just push it in a bit and release it should pop out enough for you to grab it and remove, the spring is attached to the valve and will come out at the same time, shine a flashlight up and inspect the oring, if ok just leave it be and reuse. Pop the spring off of the valve, then push the valve back into the compressor with the flat side facing out (same as it was before) now put the spring back in the hole (you will have to fiddle with it to get it to compress a bit while you swing the plate back up and let the plate and bottom bolt hold it all in place while you get a few threads started on the top bolt) it can be a pain to do this due to the limited access. At this point tighten the two bolts down, pull a vacuum and let it hold for at least 15 min to check for a leak then recharge. Sorry if this is long winded there seems to be some confusion sometimes as to the orientation of the spring and valve on reassembly. Don't forget to put the lines back in place along with the retainer/ bolt
Thanks 93XJR for taking the time to explain, was really nice of you for sharing the fix.

Last edited by jag79; 05-31-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: quick AC question high side/low side