S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick fuel question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009 | 04:59 PM
|
Default Quick fuel question....

When I first received the car I noticed that when they filled the car up with gas the needle was just under the full mark. I thought maybe they did not fill it up all the way.. Well today I filled it up for the first time and I noticed the same thing. Now Im not one to over fill because I've heard that it can cause damage to the emissions. Could their be a vent clogged or stuck that is preventing a full fill up? Is this something I could fix myself or just take it in since I just received the car?

Thanks for any advice

Old 09-27-2009 | 10:00 PM
|
Default Okay...

I see people looking at my post, but I guess its like the welcoming I received when I signed up.. No worries Ill take it to the dealership so they can fix it.. Thanks to the two people that welcomed me.

Old 09-27-2009 | 10:16 PM

If your filling it up till the pump stops and the guage is off it's prob the sendingunit in the tank. Beet on the bottom of the tank and see if it changes anything.the float may have got stuck

Old 09-28-2009 | 01:34 AM
Veteran Member

I would guess that, based on your original message, most people were unsure quite what you meant and/or whether you'd bought privately or not.

If not privately, surely it's reasonable to expect the fault to be fixed for free (unless there were express conditions of sale).

Don't beat on the tank as you'll invalidate the above. (And it probably won't fix it?)

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:09 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by NewSTRowner
I see people looking at my post, but I guess its like the welcoming I received when I signed up.. No worries Ill take it to the dealership so they can fix it.. Thanks to the two people that welcomed me.
Wow, I'm soooo sorry that when I read your post I was also holding my baby daughter trying to get her to sleep.... Man, If you expect the world to come jumping when it sounds like your covered under a warranty anyway, please don't be too disappointed. Also, these forums take time and from the date of your post you didn't even wait 24hours for a reply. Sorry to sound like I'm ranting, but c'mon, this isn't a 24hour help line, it is a collection of people who have Jags. Some are very mechanically inclined (jagV8), some are factory techs (pooboyblues), most are just average folks who may change their own oil (Me), and others don't have any real desire to get their hands dirty. Just like walking into a party; If you come in all in peoples faces, your not going to make many friends. You need to take your time, respond to others, get to know what their like, and you will see that this is quite a good collection of folks. Kay....rant over...

Old 09-28-2009 | 01:03 PM
Veteran member

NEWowner, Josworth said exactly how I was feeling after reading your post. This forum isn't like any Chevy or Ford site, we just don't have the mass numbers like most forums. The engineering and troubleshooting is also more specialized, so we don't have 30 guys just at any one time, sitting around waiting to answer members questions. It does take a day or two to generally get responses. If you can be patient, you may (or may not) get assistance, depending on the uniqueness of your inquiry. A stuck needled can't be caused by too many things, but this is the first time I have read of such an issue on these boards. If you can't be patient, or have the entitlement approach to these forums, you'll find little help. I sincerely hope you choose the former.

BTW, welcome to the forums, though its 3 days past your formal introduction in the new member area.

Old 09-28-2009 | 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by NewSTRowner
When I first received the car I noticed that when they filled the car up with gas the needle was just under the full mark. I thought maybe they did not fill it up all the way.. Well today I filled it up for the first time and I noticed the same thing. Now Im not one to over fill because I've heard that it can cause damage to the emissions. Could their be a vent clogged or stuck that is preventing a full fill up? Is this something I could fix myself or just take it in since I just received the car?

Thanks for any advice
That happened to me as well recently. It took a while for the needle to climb to the Full Mark. I had put 15+ gallons in the car. It only happened once. Something could have been stuck in the fuel sending unit. Usually, replacing those types of things involves dropping the gas tank. That is not an easy job on any car.

I would just burn through this tank of gas and see what happens next time you fill up. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2009 | 03:15 PM
Old 09-30-2009 | 08:07 PM

What were the results?

Old 10-01-2009 | 12:03 AM
|

JOsworth and h20boy, I was just new to the site and a little excited about talking with everyone about these cars. I do have a warranty, but its a jag aftermarket which means that if they do not find anything wrong I have to pay. I had written that remark because I had seen views on my question with no response. This is also the first time I have ever posted about anything on the internet so please excuse me if I came across rude for being excited. I figured maybe it was me being a newbie. I have an appointment tomorrow to bring the car in and Ill find out then whats up with it. I would be happy to post what they say incase someone else has this prob.

I had an infinity M35 that had the same prob and it was a vent that had collapsed in the fuel tank, reason for the car not being able to fill up.

*Just clicked on superjags link sounds like a plausable solution. Thanks guys for your responses and if I could ever be of help I would sure like to try.

Last edited by NewSTRowner; 10-01-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-01-2009 | 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Well, I wish you lots of luck at the dealer and please be sure to let us know how you make out....

I can't believe that I've been here for a year now. It took me a while to get used to the culture of talking on line in a forum environment. Part of that is due to my experience at Allpar's forum. There, no mater what you post, it goes ignored. While it may seem so sometimes on here, trust me it doesn't. The folks on here are great and once you spend time here getting to know the personalities you will find it quite entertaining. You will also find yourself on here more times during the week than you would care to admit....

So, sorry if my comments felt a little harsh, but we have a habit of sticking up for this place even though it is just a forum. Hey, where else can you talk with people who share a passion across the globe, not just here in the USA!

Cheers, and welcome!