S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator aftermarket vs OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator aftermarket vs OEM?

just had the pressure test done to the coolant system, and yes the radiator is leaking. There is a small crack on the passenger side of the radiator, right next to the upper coolant hose. So here is the breakdown...

Tires plus gave me a quote of $669 for the radiator, which includes parts, labor, antifreeze, flush, tax etc. I was also told it has a LIFETIME WARRANTY on it as well. I do have the write out in hand. They said it would be a aftermarket direct fit radiator. The guy went on and on about saying that Jaguar has a radiator made for them, that JAGUAR does not produce radiators.

Now, the best price I have seen for a BRAND NEW OEM radiator is through Welsh Jaguar for $295+ shipping. Labor I am guessing is a couple hours about 2 hours maybe? Plus the cost of coolant.... I would be looking around the same price.

Would I be better off buying a OEM from Welsh and taking it to my local Jag guy to do the work, or is it better to get a aftermarket with a Lifetime warranty? I would rather go with OEM over aftermarket especially in Jaguars.
What advice can you guys give me? Are aftermarket radiators any good? Thanks for anyone's input on this

Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Received 8,151 Likes on 4,917 Posts

MAKE, MODEL, YEAR????????????????????

There are several versions of S-Type!!!!!!

bob gauff

Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

A lifetime warranty is very tempting. I'd go for it, personally. Just ask about the warranty and make sure it isn't laced with loopholes and exclusions and hurdles to jump over.

Correct, Jaguar does not manufacture radiators.

As for OEM vs. aftermarket quality, well, that's a toughie. Some aftermarket stuff is great, some is junk. Hard to tell what you're buying these days. And some vendors are a bit free-n-loose in using the term "OEM". I'm NOT trying to disparage Welsh here, as I have no specific reason to doubt them. But it never hurts to ask a vendor who advertises "OEM" parts if the part in question truly is *the very same part* from the *very same supplier* that Jaguar used when building your car.

Others with specific S-type radiator experience will surely chime in eventually.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 AM

My car is a 2002 Jaguar S-type Vin number is M38489.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Aftermarket wouldn't turn me off to be honest.

Radiator construction type is more important to me than who makes it.

Examine your current radiator, and what failed. Generally the plastic end-tank type radiators are prone to failure. While a fully metal/welded/brazed radiator is generally longer lasting.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 AM

So would you guys lean towards to aftermarket lifetime warranty? Also, as far as antifreeze goes, are these cars strict to the JAGUAR stuff, or can you use any coolant like Peak or prestone, etc. At tires plus the coolant on the paperwork says Kleen Khameleon Antifreeze

Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R
While a fully metal/welded/brazed radiator is generally longer lasting.

Do you have a source/supplier?

Nowadays I'm betting that such a radiator for a late model car would have to be custom made. Plastic tank radiators have been pretty much standard of the industry for a long time.

But I'm talking outta my hat as I'm not S-type experienced and don't know what's out there for them.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 AM

I usually purchase from either Gaudin or welsh.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in this situation where I needed to replace my radiator, long story short, I had insurance to cover for the cost. They wanted to put aftermarket which kind of mad me upset, they than related to me that the time the car was built, it was a ford product and as such, had many aftermarket coolers. I personally would love Lifetime warranty, but that doesn't warrant the 600$+ repair cost as it is a not so hard job do DIY. things to note, front bumper must come off, so you'll have to consider that when you make your decision.

I like the lifetime warranty as I had stated, but the truth it, it really depends on what you are looking for.
after replacing radiators, I personally have never seen them go bad, but again anything is possible.

you probably can get it done yourself for a third of the cost.
Remember if you plan to spend and replace it, understand front bumper must come down, doing so there is a lot of wiring which Tires Plus could or couldn't know
Personally, I dislike that place as they blew one of my tires and broke a lug nut. They stated that the last person caused it, when they were the last people who touched my car.

all in all, you can get a lifetime warranty buy purchasing radiator from online or at your local store, should less than 200$,

Also call your dealership and see how much it would be, in my cause it was 1200 something,

remember that leaking radiator only means you need to put coolant often.
you can try those stop leaks but again u would be better off replacing.
make your decision after research
personally, I'd do it myself

Old 02-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

Can the small crack be repaired? Welded?

Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 AM

thats the kinda thing you dont wanna do,
anything is possible, but if you plan to keep the car or depend on it a I will advise against that!

Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanja07
things to note, front bumper must come off, so you'll have to consider that when you make your decision.

you probably can get it done yourself for a third of the cost.
Remember if you plan to spend and replace it, understand front bumper must come down, doing so there is a lot of wiring which Tires Plus could or couldn't know
Maybe a 2002 and prior issue? I changed the radiator on MY03 V-6 with front bumper in-situ. No issues noted

Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Maybe a 2002 and prior issue? I changed the radiator on MY03 V-6 with front bumper in-situ. No issues noted
I have an 04 X Type. maybe thats why,?

Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

I have an 04 X Type. maybe thats why,?
Could have a significant impact!

There were changes in the S-type from MY02 to MY03, but I'd be very surprised to learn you need to drop the bumper/fascia to R&R the radiator.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

thats the kinda thing you dont wanna do,
anything is possible, but if you plan to keep the car or depend on it a I will advise against that!
Why not, a weld will hold together a structural load bearing part so I'm sure welding a radiator, if it's in a weldable area would be fine.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Could have a significant impact! There were changes in the S-type from MY02 to MY03, but I'd be very surprised to learn you need to drop the bumper/fascia to R&R the radiator.
Well I'm sure that it can be done without removing it but that would require a lift or multiple jacks

Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by police666
Why not, a weld will hold together a structural load bearing part so I'm sure welding a radiator, if it's in a weldable area would be fine.
That could be true, but i seen a lot of fails with welding than replacing

Old 02-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Well I'm sure that it can be done without removing it but that would require a lift or multiple jacks
uhhh...the OP has an S-type. No lifts, bumper removals, nor other exotic tools and procedures req'd for a rad-change. He will find a flexible hose-clamp pliers most useful, however.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 AM

What about on coolant? Do you need Jag approved or will any coolant be fine?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkny85
What about on coolant? Do you need Jag approved or will any coolant be fine?
Jag doesn't make it's own coolant any more than it makes it's own radiators. The owner's manual spells out the specification for coolant and every other fluid used in the car. Make sure whatever brand you choose meets these specs. In general, brand name doesn't matter.

As for your rad- why can't it be fixed? If it's a simple stress crack, that's very repairable as compared to corrosion or rot that would affect the entire unit.

Beware generic aftermarket rads- some are sort of a one-size fits all which can be a nightmare to install and may not be up to the job with cooling. It's very difficult to give a blanket recommendation.

Quick Reply: Radiator aftermarket vs OEM?