S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator fluid leak behind engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Yes, now that we know it's an STR then I agree. Supercharger hose. Not for the faint of heart but has been done by several shade tree mechanics before. The dealer will charge massive dollars. The hose is only $20-$30. Be sure and get ALL the proper gaskets ahead of time. There are a good number of them. The thread mentioned above has pretty much everything you need. Just read all of it.

Also consider changing the other heater hoses. Check the DCCV because they are known to seep. You can only get the parts from a Jaguar dealer and they usually are expensive but at least everything I have worked on so far is still available. I have had cars in the past that when they went out of production in a few years some parts were only found used.

Good luck and post back how it went.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thread appears to be hijacked.....

Please, I know the difference between clear water condensation and colored radiator fluid.

I've been working on cars all my life.

OK, after one day with the three hoses connected it appears I am still losing fluid. I need to verify one more day. If this is true then the engine or something else is causing leak.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

This has me completely stumped now. Are you seeing it actually dripping down still?? Is it still leaking from the same spot?? Where abouts are you located?? I'm still baffled on having 3 three hoses.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Check the heater hoses, I think vance580 suggested similar. My car has the same 4.2 engine, and I'm not sure, but if you're car has the same assembly of hoses, the hose has an intermediate connection point (a joint) and four (4) external points of connection. That's alot of places to have a leak. The intermediate one is under the throttle body on mine.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

The tread appears hijacked because people like you post incomplete information and then complain nobody knows anything?? Get a clue! If you have worked on cars all your life then you must be an expert and don't need input from us dumb guys with S Types.

The fact you left out it's a STR totally lead everybody in the wrong direction. You appear to have a leak in the hose under the super charger which is not possible on any model except the "R".

You have three heater hoses going into the heater core. Two input hoses, one for each side of the car and one return hose. The DCCV will regulate how much is flowing into each hose.

Also the fact that the antifreeze is green and it should be orange Dex-Cool. You may have more problems waiting for you.

Finally use a coolant system pressure tester that you can borrow for free from the parts places like Autozone and O'Rielly. It's so much easier to crawl around on a cold engine tracing a leak. When the engine is hot I have a hard time seeing where it's leaking. I had a problem finding the correct degas bottle adapter cap but they are out there.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
The tread appears hijacked because people like you post incomplete information and then complain nobody knows anything?? Get a clue! If you have worked on cars all your life then you must be an expert and don't need input from us dumb guys with S Types.

The fact you left out it's a STR totally lead everybody in the wrong direction. You appear to have a leak in the hose under the super charger which is not possible on any model except the "R".

You have three heater hoses going into the heater core. Two input hoses, one for each side of the car and one return hose. The DCCV will regulate how much is flowing into each hose.

Also the fact that the antifreeze is green and it should be orange Dex-Cool. You may have more problems waiting for you.

Finally use a coolant system pressure tester that you can borrow for free from the parts places like Autozone and O'Rielly. It's so much easier to crawl around on a cold engine tracing a leak. When the engine is hot I have a hard time seeing where it's leaking. I had a problem finding the correct degas bottle adapter cap but they are out there.
+1 on all that!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Ummmm... The OP (S03Dude) never said he has an R...
The other poster (mystype04) is the one with an R...

Other than that I agree with your post....

Old 10-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

This thread now is confusing everyone. ^^^^ Said it right the original poster doesnt have an R it was discussed in the first few posts then mystype04 came in cause he had a similar leak and his turned out to be an R. So mystype04 has what sounds to be the leak under the supercharger, but we are still trying to find out what is leaking on S03Dudes S type 4.2 non R. Do the non R 4.2 have the throttle body in the rear of the engine maybe its one of those cooling lines??

Old 10-10-2010, 09:21 PM

I never said I had an STR CLUB you arrogant POS.

Jag8 you obviously don't know Jack.

Hboy you're right about all the extra connections that's why this is so difficult.

Anyway...after a total day of driving with the three hoses connected there appears to be no loss at all of fluid. There is still a smell of fluid and I ran into another S-type driver today who says he has had the reservoir replaced and had a similar issue as mine and it turned out to be a freeze plug. I found that interesting and I'm taking to the shop tomorrow and will tell them it's most likely the heater core but slight chance of a freeze plug. Will update.

VANCE thanks for hanging in there I appreciate it!!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

WHOA!

S03Dude I will not quote your post but I strongly advise you to edit it, and leave some information out, Although you disagree some of the people here, strangers are choosing to help you, they are not getting paid for the advise. Its very difficult to point you in a direction without accurate vehicle information and pictures videos or other visual aides.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:28 AM

$1200 dollars later to the Jag dealer they said it was the hose running through the intake manifold toward the rear where there is some kind of other housing that was leaking. They replace the thermostat fwd housing and the hose and seals. I had replaced forward thermo housing a couple years back so not sure why they did that. Labor was $1000 cause they said they had to remove the intake manifold yet I saw no evidence it had been removed.

Heater core was fine and even if they ripped me off at least no leaks now. Funky smell is still there but they said that it was residuals and should go away.

MAFIOSO, I don't believe being called "Clueless" really helps anyone do you?

Realize now only someone who had this exact issue could have solved this.

THX

Old 10-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Dang man well at least you got it fixed. It sounds like the only way you were gonna find out was by starting to remove stuff till you saw evidence of the leak. Well at least you are all good now.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by S03Dude
MAFIOSO, I don't believe being called "Clueless" really helps anyone do you?

Well we are all at a disadvantage when trying to help someone on the forum, we cannot see problem in 3D alot of coolant,electrical,mechanical issues need to be seen by many directions otherwise a technician at a dealership can diagnose the problem over the phone.

I personally am faced with that challenge 60hrs a week at work.

Im a IT analyst but I do all of my support over the phone so I have to picture EVERYTHING in my head.

The skinny is, never get offended how people on the forum come across its difficult to sense tone through words on the screen. Some of us may come off a little harsh but we are just trying to help. Ignore how it may sound when you read it, you might come across important information.

BTW while the intake manifold was off did you have them change the coolant hose under the blower?