S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator possibly leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator possibly leaking?

I walked outside today and noticed some coolant on the ground, passenger side just below the heater valve. I took the bottom plastic off of the car to get a closer look and followed the trail up to the top of the radiator where I see green coolant in 1 of the seams. its about 2 seams on the outer part of the radiator right next to where the foam runs down to the bottom of the radiator. Not sure if there is a crack there, but its very hard to tell. I did wipe it, started the car and then saw it start to fill back up again. I do not see the coolant in the reservoir drop much at all. I replaced a few radiator hoses a couple months ago and went to the Jaguar dealer and had a flush done to the system. They tested it for leaks and did not find anything. Any ideas? Also, common for the radiator to leak or no? Thank You

Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Would A Jag Dealer Have Not Used The Orange Coolant? It's Possible The Flush Freed Up Some Gunk That Was "Plugging" A Crack/Pinhole In The Radiator. Just A Thought.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I've no notion what MY/eng you have, or if it matters. Our 2003 3.0L V6 S-Type sprung a leak from a crack in the radiator side-tank, RHS, IIRC back in Dec, 2012. So yeah, they can leak. I changed the DCCV pre-emptively while I was in there, and the new one started leaking a few days later, put the orig, non-leaking one back on which served well for about two weeks, at which time I swapped it out for the replacement part rec'd after turning the failed new one in. So far, good since then.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 PM

the radiator had green coolant in there when I purchased the car a few years ago, when Jaguar did the flush they put orange in there, but I still see green in the radiator, but the resivor is orange fluid.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:54 PM

just had the pressure test done to the coolant system, and yes the radiator is leaking. There is a small crack on the passenger side of the radiator, right next to the upper coolant hose. So here is the breakdown...

Tires plus gave me a quote of $669 for the radiator, which includes parts, labor, antifreeze, flush, tax etc. I was also told it has a LIFETIME WARRANTY on it as well. I do have the write out in hand. They said it would be a aftermarket direct fit radiator. The guy went on and on about saying that Jaguar has a radiator made for them, that JAGUAR does not produce radiators.

Now, the best price I have seen for a BRAND NEW OEM radiator is through Welsh Jaguar for $295+ shipping. Labor I am guessing is a couple hours about 2 hours maybe? Plus the cost of coolant.... I would be looking around the same price.

Would I be better off buying a OEM from Welsh and taking it to my local Jag guy to do the work, or is it better to get a aftermarket with a Lifetime warranty? I would rather go with OEM over aftermarket especially in Jaguars.
What advice can you guys give me? Are aftermarket radiators any good? Thanks for anyone's input on this