S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio not working and display stuck on 'Phone'!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio not working and display stuck on 'Phone'!

I have a 2001 S Type 4.0 and I just got it out of the shop where I got my fuel tank replaced. I know they had to remove the exhaust but I don't see any of those things relating to the radio.

My radio has 'Phone' on the display even when the car is off. I can't use the radio and I can't turn it off either. It eventually drains my battery (which I chad to change today). Even when I pulled the fuse it still drained the battery. I dont know if that is cause the battery is old or not.

I have done a lot of searching on this issue and I see its a known issue but I havent seen where anybody has found a fix for it...if anybody could help I would greatly appreciate it..

Old 01-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

There's wiring all over so they probably cut/damaged/etc something. It's their fault, they should fix it.

Or... is it wanting a security code as they had the battery off for a while.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Marquise Williams
My radio has 'Phone' on the display even when the car is off. I can't use the radio and I can't turn it off either. It eventually drains my battery (which I chad to change today). Even when I pulled the fuse it still drained the battery. I dont know if that is cause the battery is old or not.
Remember that the typical car radio has 2 power wires: one switches off/on with the ignition key, and the other provides continuous power to keep the radio's time and presets. It's possible these are on different circuits with separate fuses, so check your car's electrical diagram to be sure you pulled all fuses associated with the radio's operation if you want to fully shut off its power.

If your battery drains even with all radio fuses pulled, I'd look for a short somewhere else in your electrical system, starting in the area of where the most recent work was done.

Also, almost every electronic device has a reset switch to return it to its original factory settings; its usually on the back of the device and requires a paper clip or pointy object to depress (it's more like a hole than a switch). Resetting the radio after any other electrical issues have been sorted may get it working again, although you'll lose all your presets; and if a code is required to activate your radio, be prepared to enter it.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

Long shot, but have you checked the audio controls on the steering wheel? Mine had a defective clock spring, which first showed up as a flaky radio, and later, an open airbag circuit fault.

In your case, is it just the radio, or do you have cruise control or other problem that can be associated with steering wheel controls? Clock spring takes out a few functions.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-05-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 AM

Just to update the post...The shop fixed the issue...I will find out what was actually the fix for anybody who stumbles across this post in the future....

I bought a new battery and everything has been working find until recently when I left town for 3 days and I come home and the car is completely dead.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

That sounds like a continual drain

Some very detailed threads with help if you look.

The following users liked this post:
Marquise Williams (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
That sounds like a continual drain

Some very detailed threads with help if you look.

I'm really confused now...When I put the jumper cables on the battery the radio was on...when I started the car it went to the Phone thing again and wont go off. I think that might have drained the battery but I still have no idea what is causing it...ugh!

Old 01-18-2016, 05:29 PM

spoke with the shop and as suspected they didn't "fix" it...the way they got it to get off PHONE was to use the voice command on the steering wheel. When you press it if you say RADIO it will change to the radio and everything will work fine. BUT when you turn the car off the actual phone numbers are still illuminated. I noticed they were illuminated after it came from the shop last time and something told me that wasn't right but I just blew it off. So now I have to figure out why those lights won't go off.

I have pulled fuse 18 until I figure out the issue but something is still draining the battery even if I pull fuse 18 as it was dead when I attempted to drive it this morning.