Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Radio problems

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, searched the forums but couldnt find anything. Having problems with the stock fit jag cassette/radio unit. It switches on and the cd works but the radio simply speeds through the whole frequency band without picking/storing up any stations.

My first thoughts are that the aerial is not working/connected/somehow malfunctioning. However a further problem id that the steering wheel ICE controls don't work either, hence thought there could be a problem with the unit itself.

Anyone experienced similar? I guess there is a socket in the rear of the head unit but thought I would check the rear window aerial connection first. Any ideas where/how the aerial connects amp/head unit lead.

Thanks in advance

Gareth

Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

George "Androulakis" is our stereo expert. Go to recently active threads to PM him.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the same problem with a radio in my Vauxhall Omega. Turn on the ignition and it just scroll through the frequencies and does not appear to be able to lock on. By using the Omega forum the fault was diagnosed as a fualty 'memory' chip and it was going to cost too much to repair when compared to a second hand replacement.

Lets hope we have an audio expert on our forum who can give you better news? (I have read that radios need a constant 12V supply for the radio programme memory to work - has a fuse gone? or has the radio been out for some reason - poor connection?)

Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Ok first things first.

Did this at some point work, and then just die? Or is the car new to you.

If he can get to the tuner and is able to seek out frequencies, even if it just scrolls through the band, its most likely an antenna issue.

The antennas are in the rear window, however they use an antenna module to amplify the signals from the relatively weak in glass antennas.

The steering wheel controls are a different issue. That's stepped resistance to the back of the head unit.

That generation of S-Type has the clock on the radio with the green display right? Does the clock keep time even though you turn the car off? If so, then your problem isn't constant or switched power as both are present.

I have to check the fuse and wiring diagrams to see which fuse the hidden radio antenna module connects to.

Let me know and we'll go from there.

George

Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Did George give some friggin amazing radio trouble shooting advice folks? I'd still be advizing the poor chap on how to clean the sticky bun goop off the stereo controls.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your replies - The car is new to me (picked up on friday) George is spot on - it is the head unit with the green display and yes it does keep time when the engine is switched off and keys removed.

The dealer I bought the car from replaced the battery so it is possible he knocked a connection or damaged a wire in doing so (i note the proximity of a fuse box to the battery on the wiring diagram). I found the stype's wiring diagrams on the site below. So will check the connections first.

As there are two faults associated with the radio my other thought was the unit could be faulty. To my knowledge it's the original so is eleven years old now.

Will have a fiddle with it and let you know how I get on,

Thanks again

Gareth

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm

Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Radio console - XK8 - Row of buttons dont work

Hi - One row of buttons on my 2000 XK8 (the row with seat heaters, the emergency triangle button, etc) dont work. I looked for a specific fuse or relay in the manual but couldnt identify one. All other buttons including radio, CD etc work just fine.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Kal

Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by kvmentor
Hi - One row of buttons on my 2000 XK8 (the row with seat heaters, the emergency triangle button, etc) dont work. I looked for a specific fuse or relay in the manual but couldnt identify one. All other buttons including radio, CD etc work just fine.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Kal
Kal- Do the button backlights work when the headlights are on? If not, I suspect the wiring harness connector for that row of buttons has somehow worked loose (or was left unplugged if the car was worked on recently). If that is the case, the console between the seats will need to be removed to get access to the panel to check.

Kal...also, this question shoud have been posted in the XK8 and XKR group, not the S-type group, if you want more of the right folks to find it.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Kal I've copied your post to a new thread in the XK8 forum, you'll find it here- https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=49519

Old 06-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK radio

Hi, been reading you thread. I have a 2008 Jag XK and the radio is also scrolling through all the channels. I replaced the radio with another used one and the same issue. Then bought an after market antenna with an adaptor and the same issue. I am going to track down the fuses to see if it is a power issue with the antenna. Any advice?

Old 06-08-2014, 05:25 PM

The other day mine was just zipping through the channels. I just held on the forward key (the one used as a tuner) verses just clicking and releasing. After holding on it for a few seconds it switched it to manual. From manual I just clicked on it normally and it began switching by 0.2

Old 06-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the info, I will try that and see if I can get it to work. I called the dealership to see if there was a recall and they said no. So far I have heard about 10 such cases.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You want a recall for the radio?

Probably not gonna happen!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:50 AM

Found the problem, I wiggled the cable into the radio and picked up a channel, it also stopped the scrolling. As soon as I tried to put the unit back it I lost the channel and started scrolling again. The good news is I know its the connection and can give specific direction on what need to be fixed. Thanks for your input