S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to buy an STR..but something is holding me back..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
X2 on that Chris...I believe most would agree that a drive in an STR vs a MB, Audi, etc. would cause one to lean to the STR based on its looks, comfort, and umph.
Looks I agree with, but Comfort and especially umph, an AMG MB will leave the STR in the dust... I don't know if that's a fair comparison though.

George

Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't know how it would compare to an AMG, and what years are we comparing?

Everyone has their own taste so what I like might not be what George or bfs or jagV8 or whomever is looking for and vice versa. One of the major reasons I like the STR is that I'm 6'5" and I can fit in it pretty well. I found the Audi S4 and S6 and BMW M5 to be a little cramped for my build. Not saying they are not great cars, just didn't fit as well.

Not sure what the OP is comparing the STR to, if anything, for his buying choice.

All I know is I got behind the wheel of mine and by the time I got to the end of the next block I already knew I was taking it home. Having owned Jaguars in the past probably tilted me towards them even more.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

I'd like the F355, please

I'll need "FTIS" so I can fix it myself, though, and no idea how to afford the parts

Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I don't know how it would compare to an AMG, and what years are we comparing?

Everyone has their own taste so what I like might not be what George or bfs or jagV8 or whomever is looking for and vice versa. One of the major reasons I like the STR is that I'm 6'5" and I can fit in it pretty well. I found the Audi S4 and S6 and BMW M5 to be a little cramped for my build. Not saying they are not great cars, just didn't fit as well.

Not sure what the OP is comparing the STR to, if anything, for his buying choice.

All I know is I got behind the wheel of mine and by the time I got to the end of the next block I already knew I was taking it home. Having owned Jaguars in the past probably tilted me towards them even more.
I'm facing this decision right now. Basically I've narrowed it down to an STR or a CL55 AMG. Years of 03-05 on both. (That's the sweet spot in terms of age / price / miles).

AMG is ***** out faster, Just as comfortable (if not more). The STR wins for style points, Value (to a degree) about 5-10k more for the CL. CL v/s STR maintenance costs are almost a wash. Seems like the STR has more potential flaws that need addressing - specifically the cooling system.

The AMG seems more mod friendly (mostly cause MB used that engine in so many models), although do I really need anything faster than a 12 second car for daily use? (insert evil smile here).

I wish I could spend a week with both. (I probably could with my friends CL55, but not with the STR).

George

Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Get the MB and update us every month or two on how it's been (reliability, cost, etc).

Old 01-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I had an 01 BMW that repairs were doable, but more expensive than the jag on similar items. I am sure the Merc will be on par with the Bimmer.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I had an 01 BMW that repairs were doable, but more expensive than the jag on similar items. I am sure the Merc will be on par with the Bimmer.
I've had them all, Bmw (e36 m3 and e38 740i sport), Mercedes (w201, 202, 124, 140, r129 (still have it)), X and S-Types presently. I love the Jags, and they are great cars for the $$ especially 2nd hand. I really don't want to get rid of my S-Type. Too much blood sweat and tears into it. BUT I wish it was better in this weather, I would get rid of the X-Type and Keep the S and whatever addition.

The only saving grace with the S and X types is the ford relationship that makes some of the wear and maintenance parts cheap. If you were to pay Jaguar prices for all parts, I'd dare say it's about the same or even more than BMW or MB.

Granted I'm also not the average consumer - I have wholesale parts connections, do 95% of my own work, and have a brother who owns an independent shop that helps and lets me use lifts, tools, etc when I've needed too, as well as access to the dealer auctions, as a matter of fact, I don't know if BFGross remembers this but I contacted him about his car.. I almost bought it and was there when it was sold in the lane. I've gotten into a few poingnant debates with members here about prices and costs for repairs, and as they have said I'm "hopelessly spoiled LOL"

Take care,

George

Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
I'd like the F355, please

I'll need "FTIS" so
I can fix it myself, though, and no idea how to afford the parts
The F355 is a very nice ride except for the maintenance. The cam belt change will make your eyes pop out. They also have a propensity to crack the heads in the valve seat area. % valves per cylinder doesn't leave a whole lot of metal in that area. The challenge series is tremendously engaging to drive at the track. There are of course much faster Ferraris now but I found it to be a lot of fun. Mucho expensive to keep going though.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dont buy a STR...They all suck!!!! More so as daily drivers....Even in the winters of Chicago....Corvettes blow, and are for old men, and Crotch rockets are for guys w/ lil dicks....
Name:  DSC_8274.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  134.2 KB

Last edited by Riski; 01-07-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

The STR is almost 300 pounds lighter than the MB CL55. With some massaging in the right areas the STR's power can be increased to overcome the MB's already quick sprint. I observed both; IMO as far as comfort and refineness...STR.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
The STR is almost 300 pounds lighter than the MB CL55. With some massaging in the right areas the STR's power can be increased to overcome the MB's already quick sprint. I observed both; IMO as far as comfort and refineness...STR.
The MB is stupidly fast - I actually drove one home from Atlantic City because my friend had too much to drink, so I had about an hour and a half behind the wheel on relatively empty roads.

It was smooth, quiet, and comfortable, I'm 6'1" 240, so any of these cars is going to leave the back seat relatively useless. It was almost deceptively fast, you felt like you were going a lot slower than you were, and the only time you realized the power you had available was when putting your foot in it and having it pin you back.

I really like my S-Type, And I wonder just how different the STR is. I really need to spend some time behind the wheel of one before I make my ultimate decision. I can easily get an S-Type R for 5-10k less than a comparable CL55 of like years and miles. That will allow for a few "improvements" - not like I leave anything stock anyway.

I really don't want a car with a loud exhaust bark, tons of blower whine, or something like that though. This has to be a refined daily driver which I can drive spiritedly when I choose. I'm going to load up whatever car with an aftermarket stereo etc... I'm not out for ultimate performance, I was just really impressed by the MB. I wish they did more to distinguish the STR's interior from the conventional S-Types, but that can be said of the MB also.

And for the record BFG I've on more than one occasion regretted walking away from your car at the auction that day, although I'm glad it went to a good home

George

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Sounds like STR envy to me ...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Advantages and Disadvantages:

Jaguar S-type R
-Nice Looking
-No massage seats
-4 doors come in handy
-Rarity will make you stand out
-4.2 litre engine 400HP
-Hood Ornament!
-Headlight Issues
-Super Charged
-DVD Based NAV
-Woodgrain is cheap tends to crack
-alpine speakers
-one of a kind

Mercedes Benz CL55 AMG
-nice looking
-massage seats
-2 doors can't accommodate excess baggage like in laws comfortably
-5.5 litre engine 493HP
-No Hood Ornament to feel lavish
-No headlight Issues usually
-Super Charged
-DVD Based NAV but can be read off flash
-Good woodgrain not plastic
-bose surround sound
-looks like an overpriced european scion tC

Honestly you should look into CLS AMGs. Those are comparable to the STR for a true 4 door boxing match. The CL to me is just half a car with bells and whistles.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by harounq21
Advantages and Disadvantages:

Jaguar S-type R
-Nice Looking
-No massage seats
-4 doors come in handy
-Rarity will make you stand out
-4.2 litre engine 400HP
-Hood Ornament!
-Headlight Issues
-Super Charged
-DVD Based NAV
-Woodgrain is cheap tends to crack
-alpine speakers
-one of a kind
Based on my current S-Type and what you have mentioned... let me add to this:

4 doors are neither here nor there for me. I can count the number of times I have had people in the back seat on one hand.

Pros:

I love the way the STR looks, However it's rarity is only recognized by true enthusiasts (but that's ok).
Great Value as far as performance for $$ spent.
Hood Ornament! (or badge depending on your taste)!
Staying on this forum and getting help from all of you guys. (MB forums are full of snobby morons who think changing stock wheels except for amg's is ruining the car).
Knowledge of alot of the issues / what to look for / how to do things already.
Better gas mileage than the CL55 for daily use.
Feels lighter on it's feet than a CL55 does.

Cons:

The nav system is dated, and there is no true ipod integration. The ACM is just an aux input.
The alpine stereo leaves a lot to be desired, and with a NAV car it's almost impossible to replace, because of the integrated climate controls.
Crappy heated seats!
Lack of any real tuning options..
Poor cooling system prone to leaks / failures.
The headlight issues aren't that big a deal.

Mercedes Benz CL55 AMG
-nice looking
-massage seats
-2 doors can't accommodate excess baggage like in laws comfortably
-5.5 litre engine 493HP
-No Hood Ornament to feel lavish
-No headlight Issues usually
-Super Charged
-DVD Based NAV but can be read off flash
-Good woodgrain not plastic
-bose surround sound
-looks like an overpriced european scion tC
Pros:
Better performance stock
Better NAV / Stereo - And True Audio / Video ipod integration with NavTV NavDeck
Can't fit inlaws If I get married and acquire some...
The look of the couple is hit or miss, but I like it...
Awesome stock exhaust note (yes I'm superficial)
More tuning options but they are $$$$

Cons:
MB Parts especially //AMG Exclusives are expensive and not carried by anyone but dealer
Not as DIY friendly
Feels like a heavier / less nimble car

Honestly you should look into CLS AMGs. Those are comparable to the STR for a true 4 door boxing match. The CL to me is just half a car with bells and whistles.
Now THAT is an atrocious looking car. Not my style or cup of tea.

George

Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I actually was going to choose between an E55 AMG and my STR. I went STR. You cant beat what you get for your money. Plus I do my own work so all I have to pay for is parts. Which is way cheaper then a MB AMG. Look up some common parts that go bad on the MB like the power steering which is a really common problem, then you have the air suspension thats easily 500 a shock. Not to mention your dash popping on service lights every like 10000 miles or so for service B's and service XYZ's. Who even knows how much that will run you everytime that happens. Granted I do wish the aftermarket was as big for the STR as the MB but then again 1000 bucks for some cooling mods to slow down heat soak and 4000 for a pulley. For the cost of a stock Benz put into a low mileaged STR you could buy every mod for it pulley, exhaust, springs, low temp thermostat, heck even the TS when thats done, and an intake when thats done, and you would still have money left over to buy a nice daily driver/bad weather car. My payment on my STR is cheaper then the 8 year old car I bought fresh out of high school and it puts a way bigger smile on my face everytime I pull her out of the garage. Plus the stealth factor everyone seems to think I just hooked up a normal S type. Love it.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
I actually was going to choose between an E55 AMG and my STR. I went STR. You cant beat what you get for your money. Plus I do my own work so all I have to pay for is parts. Which is way cheaper then a MB AMG. Look up some common parts that go bad on the MB like the power steering which is a really common problem, then you have the air suspension thats easily 500 a shock. Not to mention your dash popping on service lights every like 10000 miles or so for service B's and service XYZ's. Who even knows how much that will run you everytime that happens. Granted I do wish the aftermarket was as big for the STR as the MB but then again 1000 bucks for some cooling mods to slow down heat soak and 4000 for a pulley. For the cost of a stock Benz put into a low mileaged STR you could buy every mod for it pulley, exhaust, springs, low temp thermostat, heck even the TS when thats done, and an intake when thats done, and you would still have money left over to buy a nice daily driver/bad weather car. My payment on my STR is cheaper then the 8 year old car I bought fresh out of high school and it puts a way bigger smile on my face everytime I pull her out of the garage. Plus the stealth factor everyone seems to think I just hooked up a normal S type. Love it.
I agree with a lot, but not all of your points...

First, my STR or my CL55 would be my daily driver. I have an X-Type as a bad weather / winter car, and a 500sl for summer cruises with the top down.

I flat out agree that the STR is a better value for your money. You can get an 06-07 for under $20k wholesale. Problem is finding it at the auction, the only one I have seen there in a while is BFGross's car (before he bought it) and that was over a year ago.

Let's say an 05-06 can be bought in the 19-21k range assuming you know the business and have cash and negotiating skills.

I do agree that the STR is a much more suitable DIY car...

I do all work myself, and my brother has a shop, and wholesale parts connections. OF all the STR's common flaws, the only one that seems to be a royal pain in the *** is the coolant line under the supercharger. DCCV, expansion tanks, wheel bearings, I've all done already... Although the STR's engine bay is tighter than the 3.0's.

Now, as far as the CL55. You can get an 04-05 (last year for the 55) albeit probably with more miles, (for some reason STR's just don't get driven much), for around $25-27k. So the initial savings is around $6k.

Figure around $1k into each car, fixing odds and ends and changing all the fluids etc when you get it.

As far as Known Mercedes problems:

The power steering tandem pumps do fail, but only if you let the ABC reservoir run low. That line leaks to the tandem pump and then the pump runs dry and blows out the seals, and the car wont turn lol...

Wholesale on the pump is around $800. Fluid is another $150.

The air ride suspension is problematic, but it's usually not the shocks that fail, it's the module which is a more common failure. $350 rebuilt from modulemasters. If the shocks fail you're looking at another 1200 wholesale.

Another thing that fails is the the exhaust manifold and intake manifold gaskets. Gives all sorts of funky cel's and stuff. Around $200 in parts, but evosport sells upgraded ones for $350.

My brother has the tool to reset the MB service interval indicators on the dash. No need to go to a dealer and pay $500 for an oil change and inspection... Oh B service is coolant flush and plugs too I think. Still can easily be done for $200.

The CL feels like a more upscale car to me. Don't get me wrong the STR is a nice car, but It's just not as refined interior or feature wise as a CL. (and they never were direct competitors, you could buy an STR and an X-Type from the price of the CL55 new).

What's really attracting me with the CL55 is the potential for ridiculous power.

http://www.evosport.com/product/prod...ER.M5K.PP2.215

$5k - 585hp, 646 ft/lbs. Out the door. I don't care what you do to an STR short of strapping a jet engine to the trunk, you're just NOT going to get there, or that level of performance.

Then, there's resale value when I decide to move onto something else... I'm not exactly sure what will happen here. The Mercedes depreciates faster and by a greater percentage. (Dont forget CL55's were 110k or so new), but I think it will plateau. The STR is too rare to really gauge future values, but 03's can be had for 12-14k. Both cars have been replaced with newer and more powerful models, so both are dated.

I really need to drive an STR on an extended test drive.

George

Old 01-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

No way will you be able to find an '07 R with low miles (I'm talking 10,000-12,000) for under 20 grand or in low twenties. I saw a racing green R with 6700 miles on it go for 29k at auction not too long ago. You can find them all day with 40k miles for 20 grand though. But why not spend 6 or 7 more for one with 30,000 less miles is beyond me.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 08Z06
No way will you be able to find an '07 R with low miles (I'm talking 10,000-12,000) for under 20 grand or in low twenties. I saw a racing green R with 6700 miles on it go for 29k at auction not too long ago. You can find them all day with 40k miles for 20 grand though. But why not spend 6 or 7 more for one with 30,000 less miles is beyond me.
I have no interest in that much of a garage queen.. I don't get why people are so infatuated with uber low mile cars in today's day and age.

I drive 20k miles a year, (I have an almost 65 mile a day round trip commute). For me paying 50% more - 30k v/s 20k makes no sense. If I was going to keep the STR as the drive on Sundays when the weather is perfect car sure, or if I was going to put it away thinking it would be worth something someday - one of my friends has an 18k mile 2002 ram air Trans Am he has tucked away thinking it's going to put his kids through college someday (But I think he watches too much Barrett Jackson). But to put into daily service it's pointless.

2 years from now I'd have an 07 with 50k some odd miles that would be worth 15-16k.

Btw I took a look at MMR. An 06, black on black with 41k went for 18700 at Manheim PA 3 fridays ago (it was probably a highline sale). If I spend 20k on something like that, 2 years from now I'd have an 06 with 80k worth 12-13k. (This is extrapolating based on what 05's and 03's are worth now). So cost of ownership would be almost double. Judging by people's experiences with STR's all the usual stuff will break either way, and the rest will be fine. So it would cost approximately double to basically drive the same car, just because what the odometer says gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

My family has been in the car business a long time, and that's the sweet spot to own these cars from a financial perspective.

George

Old 01-08-2011, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at e55s and STRs for awhile now, and it looks like the e55 flat out wins in almost all categories. It's fast, and with some money can be made into an 11 second daily driver. They just seem to be a nicer car as well. What it comes down to, in my eyes, is whether you can take the difference in price. With that being said, I will probably end up with an STR because I just have too many things I need to save money for being a college student. STRs are a ton of car for your money. If I were financially able though, it would most likely be an e55 as my first choice.

Name:  user67673_pic526_1224868671.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  38.8 KB

Last edited by DrJsl22; 01-08-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Lots of great posts in this thread! I was really missing my 370Z at first, but now I am growing quite fond of my paid for STR. In a few years I will be looking for a used ISF, V8 M3 or even the CTS-V coupe.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy an STR..but something is holding me back..