S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to buy an STR..but something is holding me back..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJsl22
I've been looking at e55s and STRs for awhile now, and it looks like the e55 flat out wins in almost all categories. It's fast, and with some money can be made into an 11 second daily driver. They just seem to be a nicer car as well. What it comes down to, in my eyes, is whether you can take the difference in price. With that being said, I will probably end up with an STR because I just have too many things I need to save money for being a college student. STRs are a ton of car for your money. If I were financially able though, it would most likely be an e55 as my first choice.
A college student contemplating a MB E555 or an STR? Wow it must be nice.
I was lucky to have a motorcycle and find enough for food every week. What recession?

Old 01-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

George, thanks for the well wishes for my 03 STR. From the time you saw her at auction she's been re-fitted, cleaner, and more muscular looking via H&R Sport springs (lowered 1 1/4"), wider Mitchelin 285/35 ZR18 rear meats, and Flowmaster 4" s/s tips poking out of her butt. A 1.5 lb pulley, low temp. thermo., and engine back exhaust mod have done wonders for throttle response and power. As she sits now, she'll give many a run for the money (est. 450 hp and trq.). Looking forward to Mafioso's air intake tube (est. 10 hp and trq.) and a 3 lb pulley (est. 20+ hp and trq.), Imagine the day Avos anounces a twin screw blower for our dinner tables (500+ hp and trq.). Undoubtely we're mesmerized by the MB CL55 looks and performance...a beast. In IMO, at the present the MB won't easily walk away from my STR. To many the STR looks sexier, is definitely rare, and more muscular when fitted with a few items. I hope this note will help those hedging on either/or. I'll post pics soon when I have a person who knows how to take digital pics and post them. All be well.

Last edited by bfsgross; 01-08-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe someone can start a poll thread. STR vs. CL AMG. Lets see what the people have to say.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Haroun, where about Conn. do ya hail? I live in NY near Sharon, Conn.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Haroun, where about Conn. do ya hail? I live in NY near Sharon, Conn.
I live in the New Haven County I am about 50 miles from the CT/NY border. I am much down south from where you are. To get to NY I would take I95 from stamford into the New Rochelle and Yonkers area.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by harounq21
Maybe someone can start a poll thread. STR vs. CL AMG. Lets see what the people have to say.
Most people are this site will be biased.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

harounq, yep...about 75 miles south of me. I recently picked up a hot tub in Old Greenwich, off exit 5 on I95.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
I have no interest in that much of a garage queen.. I don't get why people are so infatuated with uber low mile cars in today's day and age.

I drive 20k miles a year, (I have an almost 65 mile a day round trip commute). For me paying 50% more - 30k v/s 20k makes no sense. If I was going to keep the STR as the drive on Sundays when the weather is perfect car sure, or if I was going to put it away thinking it would be worth something someday - one of my friends has an 18k mile 2002 ram air Trans Am he has tucked away thinking it's going to put his kids through college someday (But I think he watches too much Barrett Jackson). But to put into daily service it's pointless.

2 years from now I'd have an 07 with 50k some odd miles that would be worth 15-16k.

Btw I took a look at MMR. An 06, black on black with 41k went for 18700 at Manheim PA 3 fridays ago (it was probably a highline sale). If I spend 20k on something like that, 2 years from now I'd have an 06 with 80k worth 12-13k. (This is extrapolating based on what 05's and 03's are worth now). So cost of ownership would be almost double. Judging by people's experiences with STR's all the usual stuff will break either way, and the rest will be fine. So it would cost approximately double to basically drive the same car, just because what the odometer says gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

My family has been in the car business a long time, and that's the sweet spot to own these cars from a financial perspective.

George
I think thats pretty crazy you would drive the Jag that much a year, but thats up to you lol. I have a '98 Caddy STS with 90k miles i drive every day to work and errands. I like the fact that people assume you don't have much money driving an old car. I only drive the STR to meetings and when im selling a property.

I was hoping my 07 R that is optioned out with 35k miles on it (and 2 yrs left on a Select warranty) would be worth about 23k in a year from now. I plan on selling it in spring 2012..

Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
George, thanks for the well wishes for my 03 STR. From the time you saw her at auction she's been re-fitted, cleaner, and more muscular looking via H&R Sport springs (lowered 1 1/4"), wider Mitchelin 285/35 ZR18 rear meats, and Flowmaster 4" s/s tips poking out of her butt. A 1.5 lb pulley, low temp. thermo., and engine back exhaust mod have done wonders for throttle response and power. As she sits now, she'll give many a run for the money (est. 450 hp and trq.). Looking forward to Mafioso's air intake tube (est. 10 hp and trq.) and a 3 lb pulley (est. 20+ hp and trq.), Imagine the day Avos anounces a twin screw blower for our dinner tables (500+ hp and trq.). Undoubtely we're mesmerized by the MB CL55 looks and performance...a beast. In IMO, at the present the MB won't easily walk away from my STR. To many the STR looks sexier, is definitely rare, and more muscular when fitted with a few items. I hope this note will help those hedging on either/or. I'll post pics soon when I have a person who knows how to take digital pics and post them. All be well.
That is an awesome 1000th Post! Congrats Man!

I agree the STR stock or messed with is no slouch. It's amazing how cars that 15-20 years ago would have ruled the street are now daily drivers.

George

Old 01-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 08Z06
I think thats pretty crazy you would drive the Jag that much a year, but thats up to you lol. I have a '98 Caddy STS with 90k miles i drive every day to work and errands. I like the fact that people assume you don't have much money driving an old car. I only drive the STR to meetings and when im selling a property.

I was hoping my 07 R that is optioned out with 35k miles on it (and 2 yrs left on a Select warranty) would be worth about 23k in a year from now. I plan on selling it in spring 2012..
It's all relative I suppose, I'm looking at a Maserati Spyder (hopefully a grand sport) as the garage queen.

As far as you car, value is all in the eye of the beholder. A 4 yr old STR with How many miles on it then? (40-45?) Is probably worth about 20k now. Figure if its really clean, and add the warranty, You might get 21-22k depending on the buyer and how much he has to have it. A lot also depends what happens as the XF enters the used car market in force. IF it's embraced, S-Type values will fall because it will be "old". If the S-Type is considered nicer / more attractive, then it will hold its value. This happened for a while with the BMW 7 series cars, when they changed to the rounded "bangle butt" cars in 2002. Until the public accepted the new futuristic design, the prices of the last of the older boxy ones that were really clean jumped for a while.

From what I have seen, these cars are a tough sell, and the ones In that age / condition bracket tend to sit for extended periods of time. The ones that seem to fly out the door are the 12-15k ones that are older with more miles, but I guess that opens them up to a different buying demographic. I mean take an 03 S-Type with 80k prob worth around 8-9.5k. Take the 03 STR with 80k prob worth around 12-13k - the jump into the S/C car is a no brainer (unfortunately made by many who aren't prepared for the $$ of maintenance), then they act like these cars are POS money pits...

Take care,

George

Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I was lucky to have a motorcycle and find enough for food every week. What recession?
While I agree that it's odd coming from a college student, that's probably a fair comparison, as far as the cars. And in my mind the STR would win that one. The E class doesn't really do all that much for me, depsite the 55 motor under the hood. The styling is ok, but not unique and when I think E class I think middle aged Asian female. (At least that's what we're surrounded by).

George

Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Actually, the e55 was not really included because I cannot afford it. The str's on the other hand, I'm looking at them for under 12,000, nothing brand new with no miles. That's where the price difference comes I was speaking of, you cannot find an e55 for that price. And buying this nice of cars is easy if you take advantage of deals on cars. I've made money on every car I've owned so far (three) when selling them, you just have to look for deals. That is how I have moved up to now being able to look at a car such like the STR.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by androulakis
While I agree that it's odd coming from a college student, that's probably a fair comparison, as far as the cars. And in my mind the STR would win that one. The E class doesn't really do all that much for me, depsite the 55 motor under the hood. The styling is ok, but not unique and when I think E class I think middle aged Asian female. (At least that's what we're surrounded by).

George
I completely agree about the e55, but I think with some just some wheels and star lowering, (it's using the factory program in the car to lower the car if not familiar with this) they can look completely different. The engine is really the star of that car, as you said, and that's all I really like too, it's just THAT great to take the car to another level.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm seeing 2009 XFs going for the low $30s already. They are nice, but just don't have a unique look imo.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
I'm seeing 2009 XFs going for the low $30s already. They are nice, but just don't have a unique look imo.
The XFs and XJs look too similar IMO.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Don't get me wrong, the XF is a nice car, and it's technology, engineering, and build quality are superior to the S-Type.

That being said, from the middle 1970's when I was born, through my youth, jaguars always looked like well.. Jaguars. They were unique and you instantly knew what they looked like. Look at the progression, each car is more modern, and refined, and styled for the times, but there is a clear lineage. The new XF and XJ just don't look like what 35 years on this planet has made me expect Jaguars to look like. I'm sure eventually if they keep the new look going for a while the public will accept it, and that will be "What a jaguar looks like" in a new generation of people's minds, but at least for now, it has turned me off to them

The last time there was a design departure of radical proportions was the first XJ in 1968

The "original" XJ - circa 1968

Followed by the series II - circa 1973

Then the series III - circa 1979

Then the XJ-40 - circa 1984

Then the X300 - circa 1995

Then the X308 - circa 1998 basically a facelifted x300

Then the X350 - circa 2003

Then the X358 - circa 2008 - basically a facelifted x350

Then Suddenly the X351 - circa 2010 - What's Wrong with this picture???

Hate it or love it, it just doesn't say Jaguar to me...

Take care,

George

Old 01-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Pull the trigger on the STR and don't look back except in the rear view mirrors you will love it just shop smart.

My 03 was 13k with 41k miles and warranty
The car was a fleet car from Nalley Jaguar

Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Pull the trigger on the STR and don't look back except in the rear view mirrors you will love it just shop smart.

My 03 was 13k with 41k miles and warranty
The car was a fleet car from Nalley Jaguar
I've got a line on an 06 with 41k, Black on black, 19" Barcelonas, for 18,600. I want the post 05 redesign if I get one.

Only problem is the car has factory NAV/Alpine stereo. So no real way to replace the radio / stereo.

George

Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

There is a salvage yard near me with a full non nav stack if your interested we can work something out

Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
There is a salvage yard near me with a full non nav stack if your interested we can work something out
You want the factory NAV out of it? There's a lot of wiring and the DVD drive in the trunk etc.

Can you just swap the remote CCM for the climate control panel - and then the radio (or aftermarket radio? I have the non nav stack in my 03 - Albeit with aftermarket DVD/Nav head unit.

George

Quick Reply: Ready to buy an STR..but something is holding me back..