S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear 1/4 light leaking? Wet carpets

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear 1/4 light leaking? Wet carpets

Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything that helped.
i have been getting steamed up windows and have noticed wet back carpets.

I have observed that when it rains it looks like water is pooling in the door seal and spilling over onto carpet, see pic.(ignore splashes, that's from where I have been messing about spraying door with water)

Using a hosepipe I think I have isolated the problem to the rear quater light window as only get it when localising water to here (I have proven it's not the common latch seal as it does not do it when I localise water here.

Putting water on the quater light with door open, it looks like the water is coming out behind the door card in the area of second pic - is this normal? Main door seal looks in good condition, would changing this be my first port of call?

Any help or advice on what I need to do/buy to solve would be appreciated. On another note, where are the door drainage holes? Thanks all in advance

Old 12-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

There's a TSB that may apply if you look, I somewhat dimly recall, though I didn't think it was exactly the window.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 2,628 Likes on 1,811 Posts

You should also check to make sure the moon roof drains are free of debris and that the hoses are connected to allow water to exit from below the C-post.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

^^ Yep, my money is on the moonroof drain(s) being clogged up in or just below the moonroof pan. You must drop the headliner slightly in order to pull the hoses off the nozzles and get at them. Since purchasing my S-Type in December 2008, I have had to use compressed air to blow out my right rear moonroof drain on two separate occasions about five years apart. The overflowed rainwater always winds up underneath the right rear carpet, and I have to run a high-powered dog hair dryer in that area for the better part of a day in order to dry it out again. My left rear moonroof drain and both front moonroof drains have never clogged....

Last edited by Jon89; 12-06-2017 at 11:25 AM.