Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ABS cable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 05:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Rear ABS cable replacement

I want to replace the left rear abs sensor and cable. BUT

I cannot unplug the inner end of the cable. This is the inner connector at the end of the ABC cable.

I think that I can slide the red tab backwards to release but I cannot remove the male plug which is at the end of the ABS cable from the female socket attached to the car wiring.

Am I missing something? Thanks,

Brian

Old 10-29-2020, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

They do become tight over time. Slide the locking tab back and keep wiggling, Hopefully it will move.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

That locking tab only prevents the little push portion of the connector from being pushed. I usually pull the red thing all the way off and then push the little push thing underneath it to remove the connector

Old 10-29-2020, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,039 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
That locking tab only prevents the little push portion of the connector from being pushed. I usually pull the red thing all the way off and then push the little push thing underneath it to remove the connector
+1 on that.

Here's a good video:

It's a two-step process. Sliding the red tab back is just the first step, and gives you access to release the actual lock underneath.

Edit: I forget to mention sometimes there's a little bit of tension on the lock and it won't release easily. Try squeezing the connector halves together to release the tension. A large pair of Channel-lock pliers works well for this.

Last edited by kr98664; 10-29-2020 at 09:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by kr98664:
Aarcuda (10-29-2020), Elskan (10-30-2020), S-Type Owner (10-29-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 09:43 AM

Well Guys, I am overwhelmed by the speed and accuracy of your replies. All so very friendly and so very, very helpful. So ...

I popped out this morning; knocked off the red tab; squeezed the release part; pulled and it slipped out with no effort at all. Magic when you know where to "click".

kr98664 - your video was GREAT
Aarcuda - GREAT idea to get rid of the tab

Thanks to all. BUT - two further problems arise

1. The new cable connector does not fit the old socket. - see photo
The cable appears to be that sold by everyone but it has a round end fitting into an oval socket.
The JEPC gives part number XR849760 and that is the part number supplied by AutoDoc - ROUND.
My VIN ends N02087 (2004) but the JEPC only goes up to From VIN (L86902) To VIN (M45254). IS THIS THE PROBLEM?

Short term solution - just replace the sensor and use the old cable.

-----------

I see some loose wires next to the inner ABS cable connector. Is this normal? You can see them in the photo.

Finally as a thanks for your help let me recommend to all a great inspection light that arrived a couple of days ago from Amazo. LED, rechargeable, bright, fairly good magnet but it's like a massive proboscis - long and slender to get into any crevis and illuminate it very well. That length also makes it easy to fix in position as in the pic. I have used many LEDs but this one is way better than anything else I have used. Costs LESS THAN £10! here.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like the new sensor is the wrong part.

and those two wires with corroded pins used to go into a socket but someone removed the pins. I cant see well enough to tell the stripe colors on the yellow wires. What are the wire colors? Maybe we can figure out where they went by looking at the electrical schematics But I’ll need the wire color with the stripe color. Take a another picture of the area but further back so I can give some context where I’m looking

Last edited by Aarcuda; 10-30-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:36 AM

Many, many thanks AArcuda.

I have attached a few images - left them quite large so you get the detail.

LOCATION - the loose wires are close to the inner connector of the right rear ABS lead. There is another, larger, connector beside it with wires entering at both ends.

The loose wires are coloured YELLOW and YELLOW with BLACK stripe. There are two red wires which appear from above the axle - maybe the fuel sensor. One of these has been cut and soldered then wrapped in tape. Both insert into the larger connector. Both rear ABS leads disappear into the wiring loom.

Today I hope to attach the replacement sensor and keep the old wire. May well be the reluctor ring with was stuffed with rusty crud. Cleaned out with a dremmel wire brush. I have two garage jacks - one big trolly and one electric. Both broke lifting the Jag - so there another job for today.

Again - Many thanks.

Brian

The loose wires

This is the REAR of the larger connector

The front of the large connector showing loose wires

Old 11-02-2020, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

If I get a chance I will put my car on the lift and see if I can find a simiiar setup mines an 06 STR but these wires should be the same.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:20 AM

Oh - please do not go to that trouble. The only fault code referred to the rear right ABS so it all seemed to work with those wires not connected. Besides it is very difficult to trace them.

Do you know where I can find a wiring diagram?
Also - could you comment on the EPC which stops before my VIN number and, must surely, stop before yours. It appears to indicate an incorrect part number for the ABS cable.

BRIAN

Old 11-02-2020, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

The Sticky posts have the workshop manual which includes the diagrams or you can get just those missing all the other good stuff from JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
Elskan (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 11:35 AM

A quick update and thanks. Regarding the problem of the new rear ABS line socket not fitting .....

My car is an early 2004 model and the VIN shows that I need the newer Sensor with the attached line.
It appears that the 2003 model car has a separate sensor and line - the line plugs in at both ends. (the later sensor is attached to the cable with a single plug which attaches to the loom. The plugs are different for each type of sensor. My 2004 car is fitted with the 2003 sensor.

I bought the correct sensor and attached it to the old cable and now have a much more accurate fault code - the reluctor ring is missing teeth. I have a new ring and everything is dismantled except for one nut which I cannot budge. This the flanged nut attaching to the down-pointing bolt from the upper wishbone arm.

Bought a Crows Foot spanner but cannot get enough leverage to move the nut. Perchance the Jag will just sulk in the garage while we all enjoy Christmas.

Have a Great Christmas everyone.

Brian

kr98664 (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 11:39 AM

And there's another interesting part to this story.

The ABS sensor was bought from Germany. The supplier refused to accept it could possible be the wrong part.

Complaint to PayPal and the seller decided they would take it back but I had to pay the carriage - expensive from Ireland to Germany! However ..... I discovered that PayPal will re-imburse me the cost of carriage which they have done in full. It seems you can make such a claim up to 12 times a year.

Useful to know.

Aarcuda (12-20-2020)