S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Clunk Under Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear End Clunk Under Acceleration

Two months ago or so the rear differential exploded going about 15mph. When the diff locked up, it destroyed both CV joints on both axles along with it.

It took me awhile to source all the parts, but I finally did, and got everything swapped. The donor car was 04 STR with roughly 50,000 miles on it, and all the parts looked in good condition.

I have finally got everything back together. Everything seems to be running good, however from a stop, if I accelerate even somewhat hard, there is a clunking sound from the rear end till about 10mph, and then goes away. This is the only time it is ever heard. Normal driving, highway, getting it on it from a roll, nothing.

I can not seem to figure out where its coming from. It clunks a number of times, generally more if I get on it harder.

No lights, other than the clunk everything seems normal.

Obviously also keep in mind, during the removal and install most of the rear end had to be taken apart also, to allow the install of the new axles. Im really scratching my head here. I have double checked just about everything, but maybe I am missing something?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.