S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Collision.....UGH!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear End Collision.....UGH!

Thought I would share some heartbroken pictures with you all. Was rear ended Thursday night picking up my daughter and her friend from dance class. Waiting for the insurance appraiser to come out this week, and Jag has started the tear down to see the extent of the damage. Wish me luck !!

Attached Thumbnails Rear End Collision.....UGH!-jaguar-001.jpg   Rear End Collision.....UGH!-jaguar-002.jpg   Rear End Collision.....UGH!-jaguar-003.jpg   Rear End Collision.....UGH!-jaguar-004.jpg   Rear End Collision.....UGH!-jaguar-005.jpg  

Rear End Collision.....UGH!-jaguar-006.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,858 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Chris,

A terrible sight - hope everyone was OK?

It's looking like rear bumper, luggage compartment lid and tail light clusters have absorbed the hit. Rear wings appear untouched in the pics.

Good luck with the insurance and the repair.

Graham

Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Hope no one was hurt. Seems repairable. Let us know which way the insurance company decides to move on this one.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

So sorry SCstr. Look at this way...your ok and she'll sport fresh parts and paint.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. Assuming the insurance company decides to repair your car, make sure you file a diminished value claim as well. I would also do a leak test of the trunk area to make sure everything seals up OK so you don't run into issues with the electrics later.

The following 2 users liked this post by carelm:
joycesjag (12-10-2012), Panthro (12-17-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

carelm makes excellent sense.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Assuming the insurance company decides to repair your car, make sure you file a diminished value claim as well.
Mike thanks for the reminder, I had totally forgotten about Jons thread. Chris there is another one to add to the list.

Be sure to read this link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t-today-21898/

I have got to tell you guys. I was with Chris on the first day of their meeting at Scott Jaguar. It is so sad that this happened to Chris's STR, it was truly in pristine condition when he purchased it. I mentioned to him over a few beers Saturday night (well more than a few) wish it had been Joyces Jag that got hit.

Last edited by joycesjag; 12-10-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Very kind Rick. I too, feel Chris's pain. Spank me if you feel this is crazy: My driving is primarily highway and I feel the majority of cars give a safe distance to my STR due to its unique beauty and prestige. Obviously this thought wouldn't apply to those creeping up on its rear.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Absolutely go for the Diminished Value claim. It was a long, drawn-out process but I'm still very glad that I pushed it to conclusion back in late 2009 / early 2010. The $5,000 I was awarded in small claims court as my Diminished Value settlement from Geico continues to cover whatever necessary repairs crop up on both our S-Type and our XK8....

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

OUCH, man that really stinks! Glad to hear everyone was OK! I would concur with the thread here, you definitely want to persue the diminished value avenue.

I too had a heart breaking accident with my 03 STR, a semi truck with one of those damn retreads was in front of me in a contruction zone on I71 South when he lost the whole belt!! I had nowhere to go, cement barricade to the left and traffic to the right my front end took the full force brunt of the flying rubber... Lost my bumber, side markers, drivers side headlight, belly pan, both wheel well liners and the wire from the radial belt scraped up and over my hood.

All in all was almost $4000 in damages from just a steel belted radial at 60mph....

They tried to get me for insurance grade parts, but ended up having to replace the complete bumper cover and the like as it was a real mess under the skin... Had several follow on issues as well with wiring harnesses and shorts afterwards...

Definitely make sure they do it right and you will need that diminshed value should you start having boot seal leaks in the near future...

So sorry to see your cat get lamed by a careless driver...

Good Luck!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping everyone is OK and Good Luck with the repair.
Hopefully the idiot that hit you is fully prosecuted!!!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by StypeRowner
Hopefully the idiot that hit you is fully prosecuted!!!
It sounds like you think this is more than an accident?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Unhappy

OH THE HUMANITY! Sorry to see pics like those, but at least you're all ok right? Always better to have to repair a car than the alternative. As a side note though, if you ever considered doing any upgrades to your car this might be an opportunity to do so while it's in the shop anyway. Lemons-to-lemonade?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick update for the forum. I received a call from the insurance adjuster yesterday afternoon. He apologized that it took him so long to get back to me. He says that he went out to visit my car 3 times and has come up with $14K to repair, but believes that it will exceed that figure once they take it apart. He has turned it over to the total loss division to get their opinion on the damage assessment. Will let everyone know the outcome when I hear back.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

From looking at the pics, the car is framed (structural damage), rt 1/4 panel buckled, possible floor trunk damage, rear body panel, decklid, etc. A reputable shop with CarOLiner Evo system or Celette would be able to do a quality repair. From the estimate total, seems that Geico is writing all new parts. Depending how close it is to borderline (Geico is 75% I believe), you can ask for used parts IF you really want to save the car. If not, then do a very thorough research on market prices in your area. Don't forget to factor in sales tax, registration and any other fees your state charges during sales transaction. Factor in all your recent receipts, especially major rebuilds/repairs/maintenance. Insurance companies usually like to pick the middle ground by pegging the price above wholesale but definitely below retail. The more info you can get on the market value of your car and document $$ that you've spent, the more $$ you will get them to cough up.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by SC Str
Quick update for the forum. I received a call from the insurance adjuster yesterday afternoon. He apologized that it took him so long to get back to me. He says that he went out to visit my car 3 times and has come up with $14K to repair, but believes that it will exceed that figure once they take it apart. He has turned it over to the total loss division to get their opinion on the damage assessment. Will let everyone know the outcome when I hear back.
I'm not surprised. They want to cut their losses, complications and get out as cheaply as possible. Now the bad part probably starts.

IMHO that car is probably very repairable if you get the right shop. I see more exotic cars like this getting pulled and straighten out but they both the correct equipment and skilled guys. I don't know if there's a shop quite like that in your area or maybe you're already there and it truly is going to be more than the car is worth.

Have you gone over the car with the body shop to find out everything that's required. Do that without your adjuster present. Try and work with them so that you know what's going on.

You can always try and buy the car and then have it fixed it yourself.

Sorry about this it's no Fun.

This sort of thing flashed through my mind yesterday as a huge semi tried to squeeze me into the guard rail as we went from 3 to 2 lanes. I was going 55 in the right lane and he came up very fast behind me wanting to go 65 to get around me. When I honked the horn later and waved my fist at him (no middle finger) he then whipped the trailer over into my lane and tried to hit me again. That's when the 911 call went out and I followed him to let them know where he was going, lic plate etc. The cops have it now.

I was imagining my poor car a complete mess or possibly worse than that.

Hang in there.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Chris, couple of things:

-I feel for you.

-Don't forget post #7

-Contact George (fellow member androulakis) for a possible replacement vehicle. Maybe time to think about an XJR to share with a certain someone .

Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I feel for you as well....

I know that in retrospect, the involved insurance companies wish they had made the decision to total our 2005 S-Type after it was plowed in August 2009. I was fortunate they did not. Our repairs turned out to be flawless and the car has been fantastic with many new-as-of-September 2009 parts. We rolled the dice and got very lucky. I hope you will be able to do the same....

Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Chris, you can swap the insurance settlement plus cash or loan for a 2007 XKR? They can be had for $25k and up.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by SC Str
I did an Autotrader.com search on '06 STRs and I came up with a range of $18K-$23K on them. I would try to get at least $21K or so out of them. That would probably be their break-even point when you add the cost of repair and the diminished value claim.

Quick Reply: Rear End Collision.....UGH!