S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Fog Lamp issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:00 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear Fog Lamp issue

I continue to work through some of the issues on my recent acquisition (2000 MY 3.0 auto), and yesterday I was checking out the rear lamp units and changing a few bulbs. Got everything working fine except for the Drivers side (UK) rear fog lamp.

Checked the fuse to the lamp unit, checked the bulb, took out the bulb holder and checked the contacts and circuit. Everything looks good, so I can't understand why it doesn't come on. The one on the passenger side comes on OK.

Can anyone think of what I'm missing?

thanks

Old 01-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Did you clean and burnish the bulb socket even though it looked good? You could also have a grounding issue....

Old 01-13-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Did you clean and burnish the bulb socket even though it looked good? You could also have a grounding issue....
I checked the bulb with a multi meter and looked at the contacts for corrosion etc. The fit in the holder is very good. I also put some Dielectric grease on all of the bulbs. I will have another look at the circuit - but could someone from the UK confirm that both rear fog lamps do come on. I know that with UK law requiring "One" fog lamp on the rear, some manufacturers in the past made only one of the two work. Not sure if this is the case for the S Type.

If they both do come on on UK cars, Its back to the drawing board.

thanks

Old 01-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Have you swapped the fog lamp bulbs over? That will tell you for certain if its the bulb or the holder.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Busa
Have you swapped the fog lamp bulbs over? That will tell you for certain if its the bulb or the holder.
I hadn't, but I will be doing that today. Looks like the sun will be shining, so I will be out there again.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:15 AM
Default Sorted !!

I went back to it yesterday. Changed over the bulbs and sure enough, it worked on the passenger side, but not the drivers side. Took the rear lamp unit out and checked the conducting strips again. Everything looked good and as I said before the bulb positive contact is in good condition and with plenty of "spring" in it.

Put it back together again - still no go. Then I happened to catch the bulb pulling my hand out and hey presto it came on. It is obviously a poor contact on the ground side of the bulb in the holder. I'm going to leave it like that for a while and see how it goes. At least I now know it does work!!.

many thanks for the suggestions.

One thing I was pleased with, is how easy it was to get to the bulbs on the rear cluster. My other cars are a nightmare