S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear parking sensors

I seem to have an issue with my parking sensors. The sensors will not beep, and the light inside of the button in the overhead console stays lit, even when pressed.

I've listened to all four sensors, there is a rapid clicking sound coming from all four sensors. Does that rule out faulty sensors or a faulty module?

I do have a one reverse light out (Passenger side US), could that be the culprit? I'm not sure when exactly I noticed the sensors weren't working or if it even corresponds with the reverse light.

Attached Thumbnails Rear parking sensors-wp_20171026_18_46_09_pro.jpg  
Old 10-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the sensor module in the trunk for water intrusion. It'll have a white chalky film on it. This happened to me with a 2000 and a 2002 I've owned previously. Common problem. A number of threads on this board deal with the water intrusion problem.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Received 8,150 Likes on 4,916 Posts

The module is on the SCP network and will have DTCs logged if it detects a problem.
The reverse parking aid sounder might be faulty??? If we have to guess.

bob

Old 10-27-2017, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dhorsley
I seem to have an issue with my parking sensors. The sensors will not beep, and the light inside of the button in the overhead console stays lit, even when pressed.

I've listened to all four sensors, there is a rapid clicking sound coming from all four sensors. Does that rule out faulty sensors or a faulty module?

I do have a one reverse light out (Passenger side US), could that be the culprit? I'm not sure when exactly I noticed the sensors weren't working or if it even corresponds with the reverse light.
I don't know if the reverse light is part of the problem, but you'll want to correct that issue anyway, so best to do it first.

I've had same issue with parking aid/button light staying on. Do you have a DTC scanner? When I scanned, I found DTC indicating one parking sensor in rear bumper to be bad. It may be same issue you have. Maybe one or more. I believe the corner sensors can be accessed by removing tail lamp assemblies, but inboard ones are hard to get to. Maybe removal of bumper is easiest way to check all sensors? Or is there a better way to do it?

Old 01-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Rex
Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

My drivers side corner sensor has failed. Is it easier to get at through the tail light or remove the bumper?

Old 01-21-2018, 06:25 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

The bulb failure won't affect park aid sensor operation. The park aid module just receives a signal saying the vehicle has been put into reverse.

Usually - if a sensor is faulty, you will get a solid tone from speaker. If there is no tone at all, a possibility is the sounder/speaker is faulty. Another possibility is the module, possible water ingress as this has been a common issue due to where the module sites, next to spare wheel.

You can disconnect the connector and see if there is any corrosion noticed on the pins or the pins in the module itself.