S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear right window problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear right window problem

The rear right window dosen't want to go all the way up. Is there any way to keep it closed. I tried to push it up but it stayed half window down.

Old 11-19-2022, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 304 Posts

Luckily I did not come across that issue yet, but I just had a quick browse on the net:
If you are lucky, this issue may be solvable with a hard reset (Remove both battery cables, wait a few minutes, and then hold them together for a few seconds).
Operating the window the first time thereafter I think it would be a good idea to keep your finger pressed on the window up button until the window is fully closed.

In another thread I read that that window regulator is made by Brose... Oh no! Those guys...! I did my final year project for them at university, which resulted in a bad mark for me, because they wanted me as student to solve something, which their engineers obviously could not, because it was unsolvable: Their idea was to run an ultrasonic surface wave along the outer edge of the window glass and any touch condition would stop those waves (which would be detected at the receiver end), and then the window would stop on the way up. But that could not work by design at all, as raindrops interrupted those waves and the dry skin on the fingers of my professor did not...

Anyway, it looks like Brose did another boo-boo. That thread talks about cable operated Brose regulators where a plastic guide roller would break causing the cable to go off track, and that seemed to be a problem occurring mainly in very hot areas.

Or translated in clearer words: Remove the interior door trim (you will probably damage some plastic clips while doing so, but they can be bought cheap on Aliexpress. There are special plastic lever tools to remove the trim without damaging the metal (scratches). Then remove the regulator. I just did that on the front of an X-Type, which I assume would be kind of similar:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...emoval-264016/

With the regulator removed check for damage, and in line with the tread I found: Check for damage of the rollers.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks

Old 11-20-2022, 03:31 PM
Received 8,143 Likes on 4,912 Posts

Here are TSBs for the X200 and X202 Jaguar rear window faults.
I replaced dozens and dozens when I worked at the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 304 Posts

Funny that the TB S501-S142 recommends swapping the rear regulator only for certain US states, deemed to hotter than others...
That TB is from 2002, thus I reckon it is save to assume that this includes now all US states due to global warming.

@2003JagStr: Your username suggests that you may possibly have a S-Type 2003 V8, but that is only an assumption. It helps, if you add in the footer the information, which Model you have. So the TB above would apply to you since you are in the Lone Star State (Young Sheldon made sure that everyone around the world knows that TX is the Lone Star State... ), but then again this specific TB should affect your only, if you have a 2000 or 2001 S-Type, and I assume you have a 2003. That said, any kind of regulator fault could obviously affect every model everywhere. Anyway, good to have those TBs, I copied them for me just out of interest. So as I wrote in my mail above, if the hard reset does not help, dig out the regulator unit (after removing trim & glass (carefully)) and check it out.

Old 11-20-2022, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003JagStr
The rear right window dosen't want to go all the way up. Is there any way to keep it closed. I tried to push it up but it stayed half window down.
Welcome to the forum.

Some more details will help. Please confirm the model year, as there were some differences between early and late models.

Does the motor keep running but the glass won’t move? Or does the motor stall and stop? If the motor stalls, does it seem to switch itself off? When the motor does run, does it act as if working hard or does it seem like it’s freewheeling?

Can you lift the glass by grabbing both sides? If the glass moves freely but falls back down, try securing it temporarily with tape over the top of the frame.

Lots of questions, I realize, but I’m trying to get all the little clues to save you time and money.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:17 PM
Received 8,143 Likes on 4,912 Posts

I have had to JAMB the glass up temporarily with PVC pipe and even a 3" 'self-tapping' screw through the upper door skin into the broken regulator.

Customer returned when the parts came in and got the new regulator installed.

Jaguar even ran out of regulators during the 'recall' so we had to get Jaguar Tech-Line involved to authorize the Ford/Lincoln dealer part for the LS and buy them to fix the backlog of 2000-2002 (X200) car rear window regulators. (the early Lincoln LS rear regulators are the same for the X200)

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
kr98664 (11-20-2022), NBCat (11-20-2022)