S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012 | 12:23 PM
|
Default Rear Suspension Questions

I have a few questions about the bushings on the rear suspension. I had a terrible squeek (metal on metal), took it in and they said that hte bushings were gone and I needed to repalce the control arms becasue the bushings are attached. I have just recently started to have these issues on my car. My car runs great (engine wise). I want to replace them but need an inexpensive place on the internet. Does anyone know cheap places, or if i can just change the bushings? I've looked around and can't seem to find anyone who sells the bushings

2002 S-Type...3.0...83k mi...Cleveland Oh

Old 03-25-2012 | 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

If you are referring to the lower rear wishbones, (US=control arms), then you have a choice. You can buy new wishbones on the internet at half the Jaguar price, or buy the bushes (again on the internet, Jaguar do not supply them), and then you have to find a shop that can press the old ones out and press the new ones in. Most shops will prefer to swap out the arms - easier and less likely to give trouble, and takes much less time.

However, recently, with the bushes becoming more freely available, some shops have been equipping to replace bushes, like the independent near me. Labour times, hence costs will be higher to swap out bushes rather than complete wishbones, so it is a matter of arithmetic which pans out cheaper. Note that one of the bushes is a "Silentbloc" type, (bonded rubber), and these are not prone to failure, but will eventually wear out. It is the other two bushes that fail early and have caused much heartache and anguish among the unlucky owners who have had to buy complete wishbone arms. Jaguar were charging over £450 each, internet less than half this with shopping around.

Lower rear spring bushes are also likely to be worn out too if the wishbone bushes have gone, but these are readily available at around £20 (=$32) plus the labour to press out old, press in new.

Old 03-25-2012 | 01:40 PM
|

where bon the internet? wesites?

Old 04-02-2012 | 08:55 AM

websites would be great to know since i am having the same problem: i was quoted that my 2000 s-type was "in a state of total disrepair" but it rides nice, body, and interior like brand new with only 69k mi... i don't understand it. Only reason i had it looked at was it was making an aweful "creaking" noise as the weight shifted on the rearend.. Please post websites where to find the parts - preferrably in the US. Thank you!!

Old 04-02-2012 | 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Please post websites where to find the parts - preferrably in the US. Thank you!!
I try to always be helpful, but you should really be able to do this yourself. Try keying in a Google search on 'jaguar s-type spares'. When I enter to Google, it seems to recognise my UK location, and just bring up UK suppliers.

The UK suppliers will ship to the US, no problem, here is one where they specifically state this. They have new rear lower control arms for much less than half the Jaguar price.
Jaguar S-Type Wishbone Bottom Rear RH (XR88759#) | JustJagsUK.com=

Here is a supplier with bushes.

SNG Barratt - USA | Parts | LOWER REAR WISHBONE BUSH (PAIR)

You could also try e-Bay

It is much easier to swap out the lower wishbones, quicker in time, hence lower labour costs, but to make it economical you need to buy the parts at internet prices, not Jaguar's. Some independent Jaguar shops may already be doing this, so saves you the effort of getting them. My local one is doing this and also refurbishing the arms with new bushes.

Hope this helps you

The following users liked this post:
gabrielduenas (04-05-2012)
Old 04-04-2012 | 11:57 AM

I have the same problem with the rear suspension "creaking" very loudly. The car still rides good and I can't hear it inside the car but outside the car it sounds like old bed springs or worse!

I'm still not sure which bushings to replace or where to buy them. There are several different ones back there. Has anybody tried drilling and tapping a hole to install a grease fitting? I wonder if this would work?

Old 04-04-2012 | 05:39 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...deo-faq-68290/

Watch the video, it's usually the upper ball joint or the lower, outer bushing,
try lubing them up real good, especially the lower bushing bolt.

Old 04-04-2012 | 05:55 PM

dont be so sure that the lower wishbone bushes are causing the problem. i have had 2 cases now where the cause of this appears to be the lower bushes but have been upper bushes or lower shock mount.

Old 04-04-2012 | 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by 00gkingr
dont be so sure that the lower wishbone bushes are causing the problem. i have had 2 cases now where the cause of this appears to be the lower bushes but have been upper bushes or lower shock mount.
Could be any one of the 5 ball joints, 5 bushings plus the shock mount per side! I replaced the rotted rubber ball joint boots with small aftermarket tie rod boots after I packed them with grease then sprayed every bushing and bolt with WD40 followed by silicone lubricant and then lithium spray grease.
I was able to loosen the lower, outer bushing bolts and rotate them a 1/4 turn or so and then tighten them up. I don't know if this will work for everyone but the suspension is still tight and the squeak is gone....for now.