Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Video System Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ByronAlpha
Hmmm... I just ordered a set in tan for my 05. I really hope the brown piping doesnt look to bad. I am starting to second guess this as I am afraid its going to look bad. I guess I can always sell them on ebay if they dont work. Whatcha guys think?
I had the advantage of the black interior, where the piping is also black.

I actually don't think the contrast on the headrest will look bad. Hopefully someone may pipe () in with pictures of them in a different color. So far, the "picture" posters have all had black.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well mine should be here tomorrow so Ill post pics of a different color. I was wondering if the piping could be removed. Anyways cant wait to get them

Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Resurrected!!

Got someone doing my install (eventually after waiting a month to get the head rest back from the leather guy who was matching the color for me).

Anyway, every time I switch the engine on the head rests screens come on, is there a way to ensure they stay off, unless somone in the rear presses the on/off button?

Also the centre console input box doesn't seem to be great fit, and there is gap around the top edge, is there a way to get this to fit sugly, without using adhesive to stick it in there?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davo0705
Got someone doing my install (eventually after waiting a month to get the head rest back from the leather guy who was matching the color for me).

Anyway, every time I switch the engine on the head rests screens come on, is there a way to ensure they stay off, unless somone in the rear presses the on/off button?

Also the centre console input box doesn't seem to be great fit, and there is gap around the top edge, is there a way to get this to fit sugly, without using adhesive to stick it in there?

Thanks
I too had a local Stereo installer install my system. However, my screens don't come on by themselves (you have to turn them on if you want to use them), and my connector unit in my center console fits perfect without any gaps.

I would go back to the installer and have them verify they wired your system correctly... while you're there, ask them to figure out why it's not fitted flush. IMHO

Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Mine too requires me to press a button to turn them on. I don't have my control panel mounted in the normal location, but the bezel etc seem perfectly fine.

Take care,

George

Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Default Install

Forgot to mention the input box in the centre console is not getting any power, does this give anyone any clues as to where he may have gone wrong on the initial install?

Going back in today for another try.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention the input box in the centre console is not getting any power, does this give anyone any clues as to where he may have gone wrong on the initial install?

Going back in today for another try.
Wait.

Your input box doesn't get power (you don't get the red led when you press the power button) Or the lighter doesn't work?

Your screens turn on when you start the car?

This is a north american system?

Something is greatly amiss.

Take care,

George

Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Default Power

Hi

Yes this is the North American system.

No power to the box, the red light does not come on when the power button pressed. Screens come on automatically as soon as car started. Unable to change input mode on screens either manually, or via remote stuck on 'Card Reader'

Also no power from the lighter on the input console, but lighter socket in the centre console works just fine.

Any ideas where he may have gone wrong so I can give him a clue where to start looking?

Thanks

Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Hi

Yes this is the North American system.

No power to the box, the red light does not come on when the power button pressed. Screens come on automatically as soon as car started. Unable to change input mode on screens either manually, or via remote stuck on 'Card Reader'

Also no power from the lighter on the input console, but lighter socket in the centre console works just fine.

Any ideas where he may have gone wrong so I can give him a clue where to start looking?

Thanks
There are TWO plugs that go into the back of the control panel. One is heavier gauge power and powers the control panel and the lighter socket, and the other one powers the screens (switches inputs etc), and they Y off each other if I remember correctly. I think your situation is that the 2nd heavier gauge 2 conductor plug isn't plugged into the input panel.

Basically here's how the wiring should be:

Y adapter for lighter plug - filter box for power - screen harness AND control panel.

Screen harness plugs into control panel as well.

Ask him if he pulled power off the front or rear power plug. Also ask him if he cut any wires, or used the supplied y adapter. Either the input panel is missing the one power plug, or it's hacked up wiring somewhere.

George.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Default Problem

Installer seems to be having issues getting power to that heavier gage plug, seems to think there is a problem in the harness somewhere??

Old 02-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Installer seems to be having issues getting power to that heavier gage plug, seems to think there is a problem in the harness somewhere??
Did he tap off the front or rear power point? And does THAT still have power (it should if the screens are turning on) ?

Tell him to test continuity between the main power plug y splitter and the heavy gauge power plug. It should show continuity, unless he cut / broke a wire somewhere.

Tell him to disconnect everything at the control panel. Did he put the filter in?

I hope he didn't mess something up.

Were ANY wires cut or did he do it plug and play like he was supposed to?

Your system will do what it it's doing if the screen portion of the harness is getting power but the control panel isn't.

George

Old 02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Default Update

Ok, he has tested continuity all the way up to the splitter and it shows 11.5V, but cannot get any reading from the other end of the splitter, leading him to beleive there is a fault in there.

He says he can easily manufacture a similar splitter to eradicate the problem or should I be able to pick one of these up in an electrical store?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, he has tested continuity all the way up to the splitter and it shows 11.5V, but cannot get any reading from the other end of the splitter, leading him to beleive there is a fault in there.

He says he can easily manufacture a similar splitter to eradicate the problem or should I be able to pick one of these up in an electrical store?
Which spitter? The one that splits the lighter plug female socket into two male plugs?

OR the one in the harness that comes out of the heaver gauge plug, that splits between the screen harness and the control panel. How are the screens getting power if there is no output from the main lighter plug splitter?

Tell him if it's the lighter plug splitter, to switch the connectors and verify the system works properly.

None of this stuff is commercially available, he would have to make his own.

You can have him call me if you like, pm for details.

Take care,

George

Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Default Response

George this was his response to your previous post:

"It is the second one that has the feed to the monitors and then back to the controller ... we have verified that the system gets power by feeding direct power to the controller however no control signal from the DVD to the Controller and in turn to the screens.."

I have emailed Dan at Nalley to see if there is any way he can replace the splitter, failing that the installer will fashion something himself.

Thanks for your help George

Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

George this was his response to your previous post:

"It is the second one that has the feed to the monitors and then back to the controller ... we have verified that the system gets power by feeding direct power to the controller however no control signal from the DVD to the Controller and in turn to the screens.."

I have emailed Dan at Nalley to see if there is any way he can replace the splitter, failing that the installer will fashion something himself.

Thanks for your help George
What DVD?

If the control panel doesn't have power at the heavier gauge plug, it will NOT send a control signal to the monitors, and as such they will not turn off / and or inputs will not be selectable.

ALL the control signals from the monitors come from the input panel / controller.

IF he can apply direct power to the to the controller (way to confirm this is the lighter socket on the controller working with the key on), then with everything plugged in, the system should function as intended.

My .02 of a dollar. Check the pins in the molex connectors and make sure they are firmly seated.

Take care,

George

Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I do have a spare harness here, but George's question regarding whether wires have been cut wasn't answered. This should be a plug and play system - if wires are cut, it's not warrantable.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Default Plan

My plan is to take some pictures of he set up as it stands at the moment and then get your guys opinion on whether it is set up correctly. Will post as soon as I can but it may be after the weekend as I am heading out of town.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by nalleyjagparts
I do have a spare harness here, but George's question regarding whether wires have been cut wasn't answered. This should be a plug and play system - if wires are cut, it's not warrantable.
And anyone who may have a defective component: Dan's warranty response is just as top notch as his sales... Very satisfied customer!

PSSST: Dan; is there any way you could sell me Chrysler parts????

Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
And anyone who may have a defective component: Dan's warranty response is just as top notch as his sales... Very satisfied customer!

PSSST: Dan; is there any way you could sell me Chrysler parts????
No, but I can through my brother's shop

Take care,

George

Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Too bad noone made a youtube video of the install, that would have saved sooo much trouble for everyone since its just a plug and play install. If anyone is planning on doing this install in the near future, it will be very helpful to this forum and its members for your service.

Quick Reply: Rear Video System Install