Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
No, but I can through my brother's shop

Take care,

George
You Da Man!

I think FedEx should be at your house by now...

Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
You Da Man!

I think FedEx should be at your house by now...
I'll let you know this evening when I get home... Unless you can track it.

You're awesome btw

Take care,

George

Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll let you know this evening when I get home... Unless you can track it.

You're awesome btw

Take care,

George
Get a room, you two!

Jeff, we used to own a Chrysler franchise literally next door to us, but now it's a vacant building. I still have some connections, though.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nalleyjagparts
Get a room, you two!

Jeff, we used to own a Chrysler franchise literally next door to us, but now it's a vacant building. I still have some connections, though.
..LOLZ

Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nalleyjagparts
Get a room, you two!

Lol Dan leave our budding bromance alone!

Jeff, just got home and my package was sitting on my front porch. I can't thank you enough

Take care,

George

Old 02-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pictures

First time posting pictures here, so here goes

Name:  skiing034.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  skiing033.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  skiing032.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  skiing031.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  skiing035.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  68.6 KB

Not sure if you can tell whats going on by these, but let me know what you think

Davo

Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

That's not the failed part according to your description of what is going on... There's A black filter box that that plugs harness plugs into. (You can see the white connector leading to it), then there is the main harness that has the connection to the control panel. The fault is in THAT harness if the screens are getting power but the control Panel isn't.

Dan any possible way you or anyone else, could post a pic of an intact harness on a bench?

Take care,

George

Old 02-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

That's not the failed part according to your description of what is going on... There's A black filter box that that plugs harness plugs into. (You can see the white connector leading to it), then there is the main harness that has the connection to the control panel. The fault is in THAT harness if the screens are getting power but the control Panel isn't.

Dan any possible way you or anyone else, could post a pic of an intact harness on a bench?

Take care,

George
.....George are you asking for a pic of the Y- Harness cable that came with the package? like this below.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Video System Install-photo.jpg  

Last edited by jag79; 02-12-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag79
.....George are you asking for a pic of the Y- Harness cable that came with the package?
Ideally a pic of the whole harness laid out would be great. His problem is in the the harness that has the power connectors to the screen harness AND to the control panel.

If that makes sense. The screens are getting power, the control panel isn't.

George

Old 02-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Ideally a pic of the whole harness laid out would be great. His problem is in the the harness that has the power connectors to the screen harness AND to the control panel.

If that makes sense. The screens are getting power, the control panel isn't.

George
LOLz! Man I have to go in my closet and take that huge rectangular package down and open it up. I was holding off on the install for a long time if you remember like when you got yours, I got mine after you did your install. I have to make time out or find an install guy locally here to do it. But I'll see if I can get a pic in tomorrow morning, I just snapped that pic of the Y harness from my iphone since I had it laying around in my drawer.

By the way is dAvo doing the control panel install inside his handrest or the standard way under the rear vents?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Veteran member
Default Part1 Components

Here are the components of the Video System:

Power Splitter: Used to tap into cig. lighter power

Control Module: Self Explanatory, two connections, See Picture

PowerFeed: From the Splitter to the two wire connector on the Module

Screen Harness: Goes from the Module to the video screens

Power Filter: Attaches to the connectors In-line on the Screen Harness

Next is hooking them up.....

Oh, BTW, I know the screens are sitting there out of the headrests..LOL.. This is the "gutted" system that I have to retro-fit into our Grand Caravan! Why, you ask? This is actually the perfect little kiddie system.. Totally detached from the audio system, able to switch each screen independently between three sources.. Aux1, Aux2, and the media reader... Also, one passenger in the far rear seat can have a portable DVD player with Aux out... and hook it up to the two screens at the same time... This is how we used it in the S... Arianna would have the portable up front, and it would feed the screens in the back... All three watching a movie!

Attached Thumbnails Rear Video System Install-powersplitter.jpg   Rear Video System Install-powerfilter.jpg   Rear Video System Install-powerfeed.jpg   Rear Video System Install-screenharness.jpg   Rear Video System Install-controlmodule.jpg  

Last edited by JOsworth; 02-13-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Veteran member
Default Part2: Da hook up...LOL

So, the connections are pretty straight forward..

1) Plug the splitter into the cig. lighter power source of your choice. I used the ashtray one just so I could "spread the wires out" and not have to bunch them up under the console. But I had the center stack out anyway to move the Sat. Radio control module..

2) Plug in the Power Feed between the newly tapped power source and the control module.

3) Attach the Screen Harness to the Control module and the screens.

4) Plug in the Power Filter to the Screen Harness.

5) Thats it...

Here it is all connected..

Now... If I only knew what blade on the power connectors was positive and what blade was negative... Hmmm the one facing | or the one facing _ ???

Attached Thumbnails Rear Video System Install-powertomodule.jpg   Rear Video System Install-moduletoscreen.jpg   Rear Video System Install-addfilter.jpg   Rear Video System Install-wiredsystem.jpg  
Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Jeff you the Man!!! Thanks sooo much for this layout and connections. I may actually do this myself now instead of finding an installer for it.
Great Job!
....Jeff two question; 1) did you put those heat shrink wraps on those cables? or they came with the unit? 2) Where is the Y-harness being used in the pics? Is that the same thing as the Power Splitter you used, I don't remember seeing that included in the package as of the contents.

Last edited by jag79; 02-13-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Jeff thank you SO much for that.

There's one difference with an S-Type kit. The power splitter that jag 79 posted instead of yours. (Which has the big insulated ceramic base to acomodate the lighter element of the power point).

IT looks like this:

Now here are the connections that Davo0705 needs to verify:

FIRST I have a feeling I know what's wrong with his system. My guess:

His installer plugged the power filter input directly into the lighter power source from the splitter Thinking that the entire system used filtered power

He then plugged output of the power filter into the screen harness where it normally goes, AND then plugged the power harness into the screen harness where the input to the power filter should connect.

This would give the screens filtered power BUT Not the control panel.

Now here are the proper connections. Btw Jeff you can figure out the plug orientations as far as polarity using the power harness and checking continuity at both plugs. The side of the power harness that connects to the control panel has the wires to the pins color coded.

HERE are the proper connections, and what davo has to check.

Jag79: Jeff posted pics from an X-Type kit. His splitter is different than ours. I used your splitter pic because that is the one that came with the S-Type kit.

The difference is the ceramic base that is designed to hold the heat of the lighter element.

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Rear Video System Install-photo.jpg   Rear Video System Install-powerfeed.jpg   Rear Video System Install-controlmodule.jpg   Rear Video System Install-powerfilter.jpg   Rear Video System Install-screenharness.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

Jeff you the Man!!! Thanks sooo much for this layout and connections. I may actually do this myself now instead of finding an installer for it.
Great Job!
....Jeff two question; 1) did you put those heat shrink wraps on those cables? or they came with the unit? 2) Where is the Y-harness being used in the pics? Is that the same thing as the Power Splitter you used, I don't remember seeing that included in the package as of the contents.
Yea, it is easy to do yourself...Plus you know that you'll take the interior parts out carefully...

1) Those cables came that way..

2) Yes..What I call the splitter others call the Y harness. Yours may look a little different, but if you look at the connectors they are essentially the same... (The kit your looking at is for an X Type, but the components are the same since I had both).

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, and Jag 79 - All the heatshrink you see there is from the factory.

Take care,

George

Old 02-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

George and Jeff both of you guys did an excellent job on explanning the connections. Thanks for clarifying up the Y-harness(S-type) being the same as the Power Splitter harness like on the X type .

Few questions though for the the two of you.

1.In the pic where George made the white circle on the Y-Harness(brown Connector). I understand that the white circle goes to the Power Harness circled in white, and the black colored heat shrinked wrapped big base goes to the Cigarette lighter. Now what about the other BRown connecter?? Where does that go?

2. In the pic of the Power Harness you have the REd circled, just to clarify that goes into the back of the control unit Power outlet where you have it circle red on, right? I understand that the White circle on the Power Harness will connect to the white circle on the Y-harness.

Thanks again for all your help.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Video System Install-photo-1.jpg   Rear Video System Install-powerfeed.jpg   Rear Video System Install-controlmodule.jpg  
Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Answers:

1) To the plug coming from the car that originally plugged into the lighter.

2) Yes, that is correct.

Take care,

George

George and Jeff both of you guys did an excellent job on explanning the connections. Thanks for clarifying up the Y-harness(S-type) being the same as the Power Splitter harness like on the X type .

Few questions though for the the two of you.

1.In the pic where George made the white circle on the Y-Harness(brown Connector). I understand that the white circle goes to the Power Harness, and the black colored heat shrinked wrapped big base goes to the Cigarette lighter. Now what about the other BRown connecter? Where does that go?

2. In the pic of the Power Harness you have the REd circled, just to clarify that goes into the back of the control unit Power outlet where you have it circle red on, right? I understand that the White circle on the Power Harness will connect to the white circle on the Y-harness.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Answers:

1) To the plug coming from the car that originally plugged into the lighter.

2) Yes, that is correct.

Take care,

George
....Excellent George! , Alrite I feel confident now to do this! Who needs those lousy directions that came with the TV units when you have a color coded plug and play directions from George and help from Jeff This should be in the Sticky section for sure!!!

I'll let you guys know how it goes once I get it hooked up.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Jeff concerning your install of the Control Module being installed in the rear below the A/c vents. Did you have to do any cutting around to fit the the unit with the bezel? Also do you have any pointers on what to look out for or get around while doing that install in the rear. I'am aware from your previous post about being careful with the air duct. Is there a way to avoid removing the duct?

Thanks for your input.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Video System Install-img_1737.jpg  

Last edited by jag79; 02-14-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Video System Install