S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wing opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Here ya' go George. They are actually alittle darker, I will retake in different light if you wish. I did look at minagallery.com and they are not showing them. Yes the orange bulbs were included.

I bought those from Mina a WHILE back, they look ALOT better and if I may suggest dont put those amber bulbs in there, will look like an egg. Buy some "chromium" plated bulbs that look silver but illuminate amber.

However, these side markers fit loose. The factory marker's push tab secures them 10x better. The push tab things on these just dont flex far enough out, I tried to surround with some 3m double sided tape in an attempt tomake it fit tighter but sometimes I do find part of the side marker is almost popping out and have to push back in. Pisses me off.

But Damn, Joyce loves her chrome huh

I was thinking about those side mirror covers, still am.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
they look ALOT better and if I may suggest dont put those amber bulbs in there, will look like an egg. Buy some "chromium" plated bulbs that look silver but illuminate amber.
hear that George??????

However, these side markers fit loose. The factory marker's push tab secures them 10x better. The push tab things on these just dont flex far enough out, I tried to surround with some 3m double sided tape in an attempt tomake it fit tighter but sometimes I do find part of the side marker is almost popping out and have to push back in. Pisses me off.
HHMMmmm coming from Mina I would have expected better quality! I never tried to install them. I am actually "passing them on" to George.

But Damn, Joyce loves her chrome huh
yes sir!!! not to mention me too!

I was thinking about those side mirror covers, still am.
They fit really nice! Just don't tell JOsworth your thoughts about them

Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
hear that George??????

HHMMmmm coming from Mina I would have expected better quality! I never tried to install them. I am actually "passing them on" to George.

I was actually going to use LED Wedge bulbs to counteract the "egg yolk" look.

As far as the tabs, where were you adding D/S tape? To the tab itself or along the rear edge of the lens? You're probably better off adding duct tape to the tab itself to thinken it up, but retain it's flexibility if you need to pull it out.

I wish someone made clear smoked parking light lenses (on the edges of the bumper). That would complete the look on a silver / black car. And you could use colored LED bulbs to accomplish the look at night.

I'm about to PM you Rick. I'm fighting a pretty bad cold at the moment.

Take care,

George

Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

A little VHT Niteshades could work with a clear parking light.....one coat will give you just a tad of smoke coloring.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
A little VHT Niteshades could work with a clear parking light.....one coat will give you just a tad of smoke coloring.
Yeah I agree... now the only problem is where do you find the clear parking lights.... No one makes them LOL.

Take care,

George

Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
I was actually going to use LED Wedge bulbs to counteract the "egg yolk" look.

As far as the tabs, where were you adding D/S tape? To the tab itself or along the rear edge of the lens? You're probably better off adding duct tape to the tab itself to thinken it up, but retain it's flexibility if you need to pull it out.

I wish someone made clear smoked parking light lenses (on the edges of the bumper). That would complete the look on a silver / black car. And you could use colored LED bulbs to accomplish the look at night.

I'm about to PM you Rick. I'm fighting a pretty bad cold at the moment.

Take care,

George
Hey George, I was thinking about LEDs but have heard bad stories about using them in turn signals, some say it will make all turn signal bulbs flash faster etc. etc. So I opted for those "chromium" style bulbs, thats what I would suggest. I also used the niteshades on the side markers after Vance did his. The blacked out side markers and these smoked turn signals make a helluva difference. There is a huge thread about the niteshades, if you do decide to do them, make sure you scratch them up by wet sanding before you paint......my mistake was using too high of a grit.

I used that 3M tape because it was thick, but Im sure duct tape would work as well. The problem is that when you put thicker tape on the tabs, they sit slightly unflush. I'm sure I will come up with something better when the weather turns.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hey George, I was thinking about LEDs but have heard bad stories about using them in turn signals, some say it will make all turn signal bulbs flash faster etc. etc. So I opted for those "chromium" style bulbs, thats what I would suggest. I also used the niteshades on the side markers after Vance did his. The blacked out side markers and these smoked turn signals make a helluva difference. There is a huge thread about the niteshades, if you do decide to do them, make sure you scratch them up by wet sanding before you paint......my mistake was using too high of a grit.

I used that 3M tape because it was thick, but Im sure duct tape would work as well. The problem is that when you put thicker tape on the tabs, they sit slightly unflush. I'm sure I will come up with something better when the weather turns.
I've done plenty of stuff with nighshades before, just not on the Jag.

The problem is my car is silver, so I don't know if the side markers would look right blacked out. On your black car I'm sure it looks great. I wish someone made a clear / smoked set of the sidemarkers as well.

You can always add a load resistor to an LED bulb if it causes it to flash too quickly.
I'm thinking about runnining a really bright LED turn signal bulb in the top of the turn signal housing as well. We'll see. Lighting is cheap enough to play with.

Take care,

Goerge

Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I agree... now the only problem is where do you find the clear parking lights.... No one makes them LOL.

Take care,

George

ROFL!!

Don't mind me, I'm obviously not paying attention very well. Must be off my meds...LOL..

Now for some reason I'm all interested in doing some Niteshades work to the STR, I have a few cans rolling around the garage....hmmmm......would look good with the black paint...(I still don't know the official name of the metallic black paint I have).

Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Bull did the nite shades on his black STR if you want to see what it looks like. I did it on my Quartz STR. The post is floating around somewhere. If you search "Nite Shades" it should pop up.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Found the thread Vance, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Both your car and Bull's look great. I just found a project while the STR is dormant in the garage. I've done nite shades on several of my cars, usually turns out pretty good. I totally forgot I still had some in the garage. Wet sanding between coats is something I like to do when applying nite shades, btw. I am gonna try for 2 coats and see how it goes.

thanks again.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Also dont forget if you live in an inspection state you may not pass inspection. I have to think of something once mine comes up. I'm thinking of finding an inspection set from a junkyard so I can do a swap for inspection then swap back. Just something to consider if anyone else is interested.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, we have inspection here. Haven't been given a hard time about it in the past, but of course that doesn't mean it will fly this time. On my SAAB 900 SPG I actually had Nite Shaded the entire rear tail lights...inspection guys never said anything. Heck my Jeep has limo tint and they don't care. I go to an "old school" inspection station full of grouchy old guys....they are awesome! LOL...

Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
Also dont forget if you live in an inspection state you may not pass inspection. I have to think of something once mine comes up. I'm thinking of finding an inspection set from a junkyard so I can do a swap for inspection then swap back. Just something to consider if anyone else is interested.
NJ isn't an inspection state anymore, just emissions, but I've often thought if getting a junkyard set to play with, I have yet to find a Junkyard with an S-type in it though. I was tempted to spray them body color, one of the guys with a silver X-type on the forum covered his with silver vynil and it looked kind of cool.

I'm sure with some work you could find a forum member willing to "lend" you his for a day to get through inspection as needed.

Take care,

George

Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

I need to find a shop like that. I just went and had some tires put on a few months back and the inspection guy was talking me about my tint and the night shades. I told him they are side markers some cars dont even have any. He went into a rant about how the car wouldnt pass. I told him thats why I'm not taking it here when my next inspection is due at least you saved me the money of even trying here.
I've still got a few months to find a place.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Hey Vance, Mass is pretty strict on this stuff, and to be honest, they wouldnt know if they came factory tinted or not. The law says that they must illuminate white or amber in the front and red in the back. When they are off, who gives a damn!

You cant even tell there are any on mine they are are so dark, just looks like its part of the body, lol.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

NJ isn't an inspection state anymore, just emissions

George
Really? I got the impression they were looking at more than just emissions when I took the Suburban in last fall. Is this new?

Bob

Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Really? I got the impression they were looking at more than just emissions when I took the Suburban in last fall. Is this new?

Bob
Not past 8/1/2010

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Inspe...inspection.pdf

All they do is emissions. This includes OBDII codes, visual inspeciton of catalyst / modificaitons (the mirror under the car), and a gas cap pressure test.

You can go through with tint, illegal lights, etc no worries anymore.

EDIT: There is also an exemption for the first 5 years now, even if you bring in a car from out of state. There's a form they give you to basically get a sticker at the DMV counter exempting the car till it turns 5 years old. I think yours is an 05 though.

Take care,

George

Last edited by androulakis; 02-23-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Given some of the crap I see running on the roads here this really a crime.
I gots to move man ...

Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Given some of the crap I see running on the roads here this really a crime.
I gots to move man ...
Well in theory only 4% of vehicles failed, and less than 1% for a critical saftey issue, so in their minds is was a collosal waste of state resources.

Wonder how many black market stickers there were out there. Don't forget they weren't too picky about car condition to begin with, it was the aftermarket stuff they gave you drama for (tints, lights etc).

They just raised our property taxes here .25 per $100 in assessed value to save police / ff jobs. Looks like I'm going to be closing the gap with you as far as property taxes.

Man, I need to move too!

Take care,

George

Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Man, I need to move too!

HMMmmmmm did I not just say something to that effect oh about an hour ago or so in a PM???????!!!!

BTW the trees are starting to bud here!!! Boat will be in the water in a couple of weeks!

Oh and taxes???? what taxes........

Quick Reply: Rear wing opinions