Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent Factory Visit. Castle Bromwich

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 07:36 PM
jya
Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Recent Factory Visit. Castle Bromwich

Below is the post I recently made on the F Type forum.
I think at the moment in E Block where the S-Type's were built they are assembling XF and XE bits.
I'm not a big fan of coal powered cars but the I Pace is an excellent design and very well executed. It is truly a premium vehicle. I know they have to 'move units' and its all about the dollars but I have to scratch my head however and wonder what Jaguar are thinking going down this path? Perhaps they need to make the post Gen X generation sit up and take note..
Sad the lovely XJ has been discontinued. Everything in that block is being ripped out for the new coal powered version. Hopefully they design the thing for the blown engines and for goodness sake include a V8.

"Just did the factory tour a couple of weeks ago seeing the F Type being assembled.

I booking the tour on line there is no choice which assembly 'block' you get to see. As an S Type R driver, I wouldn't have minded seeing assembly of the XF or XJ but current XJ production has ceased of course and that block was having all the machinery ripped out for the new XJ. S Type production was in Block E.

Was certainly not disappointed seeing F Type assembly though. I did get to see three pre-production 2021 (year for Australian delivery) models which the guide tried to skim pass. Two of the pre production cars were going through the interesting to watch water/storm test room, so I got to stand right next to these new models. The third car was nearby still wearing its camouflage. CAR magazines' recent rendering of the new F Type is quite accurate. The front lower spoiler seems to have more of a larger pronounced lip and the front end does look more aggressive in the flesh.The new model overall is really beautiful with the headlights being the biggest obvious change. The current model is a gorgeous car as well; compared to the German offerings I would have one any day.

I have driven several in the F Type range but the interior to me on the new cars did not look hugely different. I am sure regular F Type drivers will notice some change though.

Straight 6 engine possible for the new F Type R? Maybe BMW sourced? Maybe also be quicker than the current blown V8 but to me not quite the same as an 8.

To memory tour cost was around 45 pounds. Costs around another 55 pounds to buy a return ticket on the day for the train from London to Peaky Blinders territory in Birmingham, where Castle Bromwich is (ticket was to 'Birmingham Airport Station' and that was off peak).
Too hard to catch 2 buses from Birmingham Airport Station to the factory which is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere in Castle Bromwich. So about 15 pounds for a one-way Uber to the factory from the station. Jaguar were very nice and called me an uber driver for the return trip back to Birmingham Airport Station.

Some minor gripes: they could do a bit more to give you some goodies to take away with you on the day, which I would gladly pay extra for. No trim shop or engine assembly viewing in that block either, I think this must be in another block. But overall a couple hundred Australian dollars well spent.

The F Type is an absolute amazing car to see being produced in aluminium. The design and energy that has gone into this car and the technology that Jaguar use on this is industry leading. Hate the water-based paints though all brands seem to be using; not sure if they'll last the distance as the solvent based.

For all that love coal powered cars the current I Pace display there is nicely done. Again, another beautiful Ian Callum design. This is a premium car, the quality fit and finish on the I Pace sure teaches Tesla a thing or two. Needs a bigger nose to fit the 5-litre supercharged V8 though!"

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CastleBromwichFlyer.PDF (522.7 KB, 47 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by jya:
beulahjag (11-14-2019), Catfan01 (11-13-2019), S-Type Owner (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 562 Likes on 423 Posts

Wow....sounds like a special time at the Jaguar factory...kudos to you my friend and thanks for sharing

Old 11-14-2019, 10:02 PM
jya
Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

If you're in the UK scottjh9 definitely worth taking the time to visit.
Unless you are staying near Birmingham where the factory is located you do need to book for the afternoon (1.00 pm start) session and not the morning session, especially if coming from London which I did. I caught the first Tube train out of South Kensington at around 9.30 am and had plenty of time to get there by 1.00 pm. Needed if you want to not rush and take your time to find the taxi ranks at the Birmingham Airport Station, grab a Pommy car magazine and a lovely huge Cornish Pasty and coffee from one of the shops there.
F Type assembly is worth seeing and I was also lucky enough to see the 'marriage'; bringing together of the platform to the body which takes a few people to complete as I was walking past as well. Incredible too see the different variations, colours, engines and specifications of the vehicle going to many numerous countries all over the world. And the robot changing from one tool to the next is a novel sight. I noticed that one was using various sizes of STANLEY branded rivets on the car.
I would love to do it again if I could see the new XJ being produced.