S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rejuvenating my brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey vance.
what color is that looking like bright orange, (i think its the 3rd picture, not the red ones)

it looks really nice,
will the paint chip due to heat?

thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975
Hey vance.
what color is that looking like bright orange, (i think its the 3rd picture, not the red ones)

it looks really nice,
will the paint chip due to heat?

thanks
It is the standard G2 Red. That pic looks orange cause of the reflection of the clear and my camera since it was really sunny out when I did them. In person it doesnt look orange at all. Its really close to the standard Brembo red color. I have had then painted since Sept and havent chipped from heat or given any signs that they will. I had my last car done with Dupli-colors caliper kit and they chipped within a few months. The G2 kit is way better then Duplicolors.

The following users liked this post:
Kapitan1975 (01-13-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks...
i did use a duplicolor on my other car and it did chip.
I also saw your video on Youtube on the brake job... very nice...
i do think i will do the same on my STR... (maybe not on the soon on the caliper paint.. but definitely on the rotor job.)

thanks for making the video.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm on the fence about doing this with my 500sl's calipers when I do the brakes. They look kind of worn and tattered, but they stop the car well. With the 18" AMG wheels you can see them a lot more than you could with the stock wheels. They aren't as beefy as stock brembos though, so I think I'm going to paint them black just so they look clean.

I'm surprised no one has done regular white brembo logos on an STR. - after all you wouldn't be lying!

Take care,

George

Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
I'm on the fence about doing this with my 500sl's calipers when I do the brakes. They look kind of worn and tattered, but they stop the car well. With the 18" AMG wheels you can see them a lot more than you could with the stock wheels. They aren't as beefy as stock brembos though, so I think I'm going to paint them black just so they look clean.

I'm surprised no one has done regular white brembo logos on an STR. - after all you wouldn't be lying!

Take care,

George
They do make the G2 in a black so you could get the nice coating they provide if you dont want to go powder coating. I was thinking about the Brembo logos but I have a friend who actually is a graphic designer for a vinyl wrap company and his dad has his own vinyl business so I had the resources to go with something different that didnt cost me anything but postage. I actually got my logos from the Jaguar racing logo with the leaper but only put Jaguar and the leaper cause racing would of been way too small to even see it. If they chip or peel which doesnt look like that will ever happen but if I do want something different in the future I could pick another logo and I ended up buying 2 G2 kits thinking I would need them cause of the size of the Brembos so I could always change them up in the future. The G2 isnt priced to bad either at 40 a kit.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Vance, what did you use to clear over the decals?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Vance, what did you use to clear over the decals?
I'll double check when I get a chance to get into the garage but it was just a standard spray clear in Rustoleum. Bought it at the local Walmart. Just in a standard spray can. I believe I used either satin clear or gloss clear cant remember so I'll double check later.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
I applied the G2 as per the instructions with the supplied brush. After it dried I applied the decals then cleared over the decals to seal them in per say. The decals still look like I just applied them havent had a single problem. I have a toothbrush that I clean the calipers with everytime I wash the car so the calipers still look exactly like the pics. I do wish I put just one more coat on cause I did have a small chip in one of the rears where it was a little thin. I havent fixed it yet and you really have to bend down and look to see it. Its on a corner also. Gonna touch it up and then clear it to level it out and should look perfect again. I also dont use any harsh chemicals to clean them either the G2 puts a really nice finish on the calipers all I use it soap and water.
Here is a quick pic of the fronts from today. Hasnt been washed in a week also.
HI Vance,

Do you have to clear coat it after applying the G2 spray on the caliper or was that just for protection on your part to do it? Also did you color your rear Parking Brake caliper red? I'm thinking about doing it to my rear parking brake caliper like either Silver or Red like yours but can't decide what would be a better color match to my Platinum Metallic exterior
Thanks.

Last edited by jag79; 04-29-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag79
HI Vance,

Do you have to clear coat it after applying the G2 spray on the caliper or was that just for protection on your part to do it? Also did you color your rear Parking Brake caliper red? I'm thinking about doing it to my rear parking brake caliper like either Silver or Red like yours but can't decide what would be a better color match to my Platinum Metallic exterior
Thanks.
If I had a lighter silver I probably would of went with yellow. You dont have to clear they will still shine without it. I only applied it for extra protection and to also seal in the decals. I put the decals on after the G2 then cleared over that to seal them into the clear and haven't had a single one peel up yet. The only problem I've even had was my fault of taking off a wheel and really not thinking I dragged it across the top of a caliper and the weight on the wheel put a chip in it. With the wheel on though you cant even see the chip. I will most likely touch it up later. I also still have a whole new G2 kit cause I thought I would need 2 and didn't. Parking brake is still stock I only wanted the Brembos to pop a little. If the parking brake was chipped up like my Brembos my plan was to do them in black.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
If I had a lighter silver I probably would of went with yellow. You dont have to clear they will still shine without it. I only applied it for extra protection and to also seal in the decals. I put the decals on after the G2 then cleared over that to seal them into the clear and haven't had a single one peel up yet. The only problem I've even had was my fault of taking off a wheel and really not thinking I dragged it across the top of a caliper and the weight on the wheel put a chip in it. With the wheel on though you cant even see the chip. I will most likely touch it up later. I also still have a whole new G2 kit cause I thought I would need 2 and didn't. Parking brake is still stock I only wanted the Brembos to pop a little. If the parking brake was chipped up like my Brembos my plan was to do them in black.
....do you think if I went with the Red just for the Parking Brake calipers it would look odd even though the Brembo Calipers are Silver?

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Its up to you. I think if you are going to go suttle by going with silver on the Brembos then maybe just go black on the Parking. It would kinda pop the red since its an eye catching color and may not have the look you are going for cause it would draw everyones eye to the back Parking brake caliper. I would really only do the Parking brakes if they look bad because of the mechanical operation of it the paint will make it thicker so you will have to be really careful around the spring and the mechanism in the back that the cable attaches too. Mine still looked pretty good which is why I left it. Ultimately its up to you what look you are going for. This is why I said yellow earlier, love that silver with yellow like that. But yellow definitly isn't for everyone.

Attached Thumbnails Rejuvenating my brake calipers-novitec-ferrari-599gto-5.jpg  

Last edited by Cadillac; 05-01-2011 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Images exceed forum sizes
Old 04-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Vance we think alike I had already planed on going with the red on my breaks but think I am doing the brembo stickers. I am going to powder coat the wheels black so I think the red on the Quartz and black would stand out nice.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

You can at least get a glimpse of the red on quartz tues cause that how mine is sitting now. Got chrome rims though but would like to see the black cause if mine didnt come chrome they would be black already and I may just get some black rims in the future and wonder what it would look like.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 AM
ron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default original calipers?

Many thanks Vance for the nice pictures and information. Your posts are very informative.

A question hopefully it's relevant for this post. I just got brakes renewed from jag dealer in dubai, but the brakes/caliper appear very dull compared to the overall look of the car - are these original equipment? Probably I am missing a 'cover' or previous owner has changed original with cheap ones? Many thanks in adv

PS. Sorry I def need to clean the rims

Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Depends on the year STR that you have. I believe it was 06 when they made the switch back to floating (someone here correct me if I am wrong).

ron (06-28-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

ron those appear to be on a base S Type. There are no covers available, you will have to remove wheel clean calipers really good then repaint with a high temp paint or somethiing like the G2 kit vance talks about. The nice thing about repainting them is the sky is the limit on what color you choose.

ron (06-28-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sides and rear windows tinted, I love it, and like the looks too, I would do it again on the Jag, but not on all my cars..

Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM
ron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
ron those appear to be on a base S Type. There are no covers available, you will have to remove wheel clean calipers really good then repaint with a high temp paint or somethiing like the G2 kit vance talks about. The nice thing about repainting them is the sky is the limit on what color you choose.
Many thanks - would try black in next detailing session. But as a layman am a bit perplexed why would Jaguar install such equipment on its cars?