S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote real time vehicle tracking via GPS possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Remote real time vehicle tracking via GPS possible?

On another forum the subject of the government being able to track your vehicle real time came up with respect to older cars such as mine.

I do not have any of the phone options installed but I do have the GPS installed. Not being an expert on this stuff is there some way the relatively antique GPS on a 2005 Jag can report the cars current position via a remote query? I wasn't aware that a transmitter was contained in these units and furthermore does it have the systems infrastructure to respond & report anyway?

If it had something like Onstar as an option I guess I could understand how easy it would be but AFAIK Jaguar didn't offer that sort of capability in 2005?

I understand that log could possibly be extracted via the OBDII port but I'm not sure it's even logging that?

Thanks.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,945 Posts

I suppose the sat nav might contain that feature AND jag were commanded not to reveal it. Depends how much of a conspiracy theorist one wishes to be.

Failing that I believe it to be capable merely of reading GPS info from the satellites and unable to transmit anything.

Over here there are things like cameras that can track you. They're all over the place, many with ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) so no need to have trackers on cars?

Our crime rate is much lower. Coincidence?

Our murder rate is far lower, too, but I wouldn't want to say whether the lack of guns is anything to do with it?

Old 12-15-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

This story was a favourite of a former neighbour, many years ago. He eventually moved away because he was convinced that everyone, especially the government, was out to 'get him'. I think he's homesteading up north now and refuses to generate electricity from either solar or wind because he believes that the devices can report his usage and location. While he lived amongst civilization he wouldn't listen to radio or TV because 'they were tracking him'.

I learned quickly that trying to mention anything that might prove him wrong was perceived as me being 'one of them'. I would just nod my head, smile and avoid eye contact. That act confirmed that I was 'one of them'.

Maybe I am.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
This story was a favourite of a former neighbour, many years ago. He eventually moved away because he was convinced that everyone, especially the government, was out to 'get him'. I think he's homesteading up north now and refuses to generate electricity from either solar or wind because he believes that the devices can report his usage and location. While he lived amongst civilization he wouldn't listen to radio or TV because 'they were tracking him'.

I learned quickly that trying to mention anything that might prove him wrong was perceived as me being 'one of them'. I would just nod my head, smile and avoid eye contact. That act confirmed that I was 'one of them'.

Maybe I am.
are you sure he moved away and was not taken away wearing a white coat