S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed mufflers.....now what !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed mufflers.....now what !!

Needing a change I jacked up the back of the STR and removed the 2 mufflers and then decided to venture out and see what it sounds like.......Very agressive when its opened up but not all that loud when I drove a little slower down my street back to the house.

My first thought is I like it but I know I will need to do something, at a minimum I will need to have some pipes bent and installed where the mufflers were and some tips out the back to finish it off but the Jag was to quiet and now it may be too loud.

The highlight of the trip was turning a corner onto a open road and between the sound and the cooler air the Jag just jumped and seemed faster than before, however shortly after the tire smoke and noise I noticed a car coming up fast and closing.....first thought was my wallet was still at home on the work bench and if this is a cop I am in trouble, but it was not a cop it was a new CTS Cadillac and he wanted to race.

Had this been a new CTS-V I would have probably turned off, had the other driver not insisted that we have a go I probably would have just gone home but only a mile later we sat at the light and I gave him the hole shot just making sure he still wanted to go and then I applied the new muffler free extra HP/noise and caught and passed him fairly quickly.

Not to sure what he was thinking, perhaps he will go home and do a little research on Jag STR'S.

First question to anyone who has done this simple muffler removal is should I just get the pipes installed with new tips and call it done....does anyone know if that alone will help with the raspyness or should a smaller set of mufflers be installed. It was so loud I could not hear the supercharger.

By far it was the best 45 minutes of the day

Cheers

Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

seen lot of people do this muffler delete and are happy with the sound
any vids with sound ?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

havnfun, LOL! U sound just like others and me when we first started farting around with the exhaust. As you, a young kid in a 2010 Cadillac CTS 3.7 (305 hp) egged me on and also fell prey to my 03 STR. In the case of my STR...CTS's (400 hp) prior to the s/c model will fall prey too. In a while you'll be bored with the baby gazelles and seek out larger prey. First, do what you mentioned...place pipe on and end it with 4" s/s tips. This'll quiet her down with a deeper tone. See how u like it... If not, place an inexpensive pair of 14" glass packed flowthrough tube mufflers before the rear axle. A Mafioso air intake tube and hi-flow cats will even surprise u more but require rear mufflers to subdue the additional noise. Placing a 1.5 lb s/c pulley will give u an additional 15+ hp. The entire setup is worth upwards of 40 hp. Perform a hard re-set of the ECU after major mods. A twin screw blower is on the horizon and will afford 550+ hp (AVOS's t/s 4 litre XKR belts out 600+ hp). I love it when an STR owner, after becoming intrigued with its guts, ponders the "What if's"...truelly a sickness. Despite the 3 lb pulley, the cool NY temps. allow me to have fun nearly all day. She's an elegant, timeless, unsuspecting beast.

Last edited by bfsgross; 10-25-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I will post a video later, but to me it is still pretty quiet.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks Gent's,

It's looking like the route will be to add the pipes and call it a day, its still under warranty so I will leave the supercharger alone but a thermo update and a "Mafioso" air intake sounds like a must do.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

K&N drop-in panel air filter?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Look up "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act", and "SEMA". Then Mod away!

No kidding the knowledge of this act saved me $7,8xx.xx alone just by mentioning it to the Ford Dealer when my Cam Sensor went out, (valves went everywhere, block was done). I had a Centrifugal Supercharger on their and they said they were not going to cover it under warranty. I mention the Act, they made some calls and a few days later I had some Ford Warranty guy meet me at the dealership. They covered ALL repairs including the reinstall of my system on the new block. (Ironically three weeks later I blowed my motor when I pegged my MAF volts and it got lean. That was NOT covered, 18lbs boost was too much flo for stock MAF... lesson learned. Went full race built block, got 22lbs boost!!! WOOT!)

Long storey short, no one can void a warranty due to the presence of an aftermarket part. They have to PROVE that the part in question caused the failure. the problem is they save SOOO much money by saying no, then they spend fixing, or paying a lost settlement to the few that know.

For all you “neigh-sayers” out their… the only reason you think it isn’t true is because you got boned, or someone you know got boned. Sorry.

BTW, no clue how warranties work over the pond.

Edit: FYI, on the flip side I had a MAF go out on a trip. The dealer refused to service the car, or repair under warranty due to the presence of a K&N CAI. And they were in legal rights to do so. You see they also can refuse service if they cannot properly test or diagnose aftermarket parts. The CAI flowed differently than the stock air box. So they said no. (I paid for new MAF from the service department, installed in the parking lot, and was on my way.)

So in this case I should have put the stock system back on before going to the dealership, too bad I was 300 miles from home.

You pay to mod, it pays to mod, but sometimes you pay because you mod.

Last edited by SchultzLD; 10-25-2011 at 12:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SchultzLD:
bfsgross (10-25-2011), godfatty420 (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

Ditto. Well put schultz. Mod away havnfun!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Not wanting to wait I had a couple of pipes installed ........ and now my son says it's not just a "old man's" Jag anymore.....I guess he like's the way it sounds now, actually I like the way it looks. Jag exhaust 033.AVI

Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

I just c%me...she sounds beautiful. Agressive note, yet not untamed. Now cut the crap and go out and get yourself hi-flow cats, x-pipe, and a pair of flow through resonators...G-d.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

Not sure if this will work

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...18963126028338

Last edited by Michael Star; 10-26-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been contemplating doing this on my V6 ( Iknow, not the same as a V8, but still). I think you just convinced me. Thank you,

Old 10-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

BMWlover, be careful with the V6, they're tough to quiet down in the cabin. The V6 has very high resonance frequencies (drone) when their exhausts are opened up.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To follow up, when I was in for an oil change a tranny filter and flush and winter tire swap, I asked my mech to disconnect the rear mufflers. I didn't get to drtive it, but while it was on the hoise I was able to put it in drive and accelerate well past 100kmh. No drone but it had a very high pitched sound. Almost like a rice rocket with a cheap o exhaust. I think I willl try and find an actual muffler or just get tips installed and call it a day.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Veteran member
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Good new and Bad news............I pulled the pipes off and put it back to stock. (for now) Here is the pros for the system that I had built, Great sound under hard acceleration, great sound idiling through a parking lot, looked much better than stock, probably lost 40 pounds from the stock system, added a couple of HP for sure.

The only problem was at freeway speed and the tach @ 2100 RPM there was a drone that I was not going to be able to live with, a couple of years ago it would have been no problemo but due to my Jag always on the freeway I changed back.

So here is the chance for someone else to have this system I just built, it bolts up in no time looks great and guaranteed to fit. So I am selling for $220.00 shipped anywhere.

Any questions ???

Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 4.2 non S/C.
Took off the mufflers today just for kicks. Man I love the way it sounds!!

I wish I could purchase your set up havnfun, but i have a list of crucial fix ups before i can buy them.

1. trans fluid drain/fill
2. rear tie rods/links
3. rear lower bushings
4. rear upper control arms

Old 11-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Havnfun, keep the system and bolt up a pair of 14"-18" flow through glasspacks before the rear axle. They'll definitely kill the "Drone". This is what I did and it eliminated the drone.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Havnfun, keep the system and bolt up a pair of 14"-18" flow through glasspacks before the rear axle. They'll definitely kill the "Drone". This is what I did and it eliminated the drone.

I like that idea and this may be the best way, thanks for the tip.......I would guess that a small resonator would also work for this.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Yep. The glasspacks are the resonators (pre-mufflers that dampen drone by slowing down exhaust gases and reverberating exhaust impulses). In essence she'll look and behave as a stock Jag...but throatier.

Quick Reply: Removed mufflers.....now what !!