S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the Navigation limitation on entry while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Removing the Navigation limitation on entry while driving?

I think that I saw a post somewhere on this forum where a guy bought a special disk on E-bay that was supposedto remove that restriction. I believe that the disk was designed to work with the UK version so I don't know if it will work with US navigation systems. If I remember correctly the user tried the disk on his system, but it didn't make any changes for him. I would recommend doing a search on this forum or search the expired E-bay listings for it.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a quick google search utilizing the phrase ‘OEM Alpine Navigation’ and it turns out that Acura and BMW also use Alpine. Acura for sure, so I would troll on the Acura boards 1) to find out which year and model is compatible 2) what do they use? Try acurazine.com

It’s doable someone just wants to have this bad enough to do the research. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681262/4

Shoot on my RX8 I did a swich of the OEM dvd based Navi for a full dvd player that plays movies and still reads the Navi disc. This is for the bose system though.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:48 AM

Really? All this time I ASSsumed that because I have the Alpine premium system that the Navi was Alpine based. I hate to sound stupid how do you know that it is made by Denso? I’m asking because I just looked at mine and I just see Jaguar written on it.

Well I just did another search, this time I used the phrase Denso OEM Navi and found outthat Denso also supplies Lexus, Toyota, & Caddy with OEM Navi’s.

By the way mine is also a 2004 S.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer that question, most audio shops will do it for a fee. I'm not sure on all the brands that can be overridden though. They can do the same for your DVD player at the same time...for a fee of course. That was the the sole reason I copped the Clarion instead of the Kenwood.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Bring this back from the dead...Any further info on this?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,520 Likes on 3,931 Posts

There are several questions. Re the thread title: I understand all discs after some date remove the limit, with date maybe 2005.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
There are several questions. Re the thread title: I understand all discs after some date remove the limit, with date maybe 2005.
I have an 05 with a 2010 map disc and have the limitation...Is there a separate software disc update?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

It's on the disk.

I don't understand why you have the limitation - the UK guys say they don't. Maybe it's to comply with some US law or something.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
It's on the disk.

I don't understand why you have the limitation - the UK guys say they don't. Maybe it's to comply with some US law or something.
I don't know...When out of park, it allows you to navigate to home or previously enter addresses only, can't enter new addresses or see any POIs...

Old 08-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 2004 XKR with Alpine. The CD is Jag Part #LJG2441GA and Alpine Part #BM9JU91E

I googled "Navtech hack" and came across this site below. Using their software hack "as-is" will most likely fry your system, but it provides great insight.

Nav In-Motion Disable Completed, Patch Available!

They came up with instructions on how to modify the MAIN.AFN file on the DVD- this file provides the nav unit with it's configuration code. It's an awfully clever hack. On these units, you get full access while the car is traveling under 10mph. Using the systems own logic, the hack tricks the unit into bypassing the loop that checks the speed, thereby never switching to "restricted" mode. Apparently it still reports your speed correctly and all other functions work as designed.

So it's doable, you just need the right version. Mine is too old, not the AE version of Navteq they require. My folder names don't match up, and is clearly older than the AE version released in Sept of 2006. However, they post the fix in great detail. Some enterprising young would be computer hacker (with more time on their hands than me) could make the same modifications for an older version.

There is a caveat that the original site says "this doesn't work on older versions." I take this to mean their compiled code hack must match exactly to the source compiled file. However, if you follow their instructions on what to do with the uncompiled code, you could recreate this hack on any version, as long as you are familiar with disassembling C code and recompiling. Or maybe some of you have the right version.

Doing this wrong, by the way, can brick the Nav.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the new 2010 DVD had this feature. allowing you to use it while on the move.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vampyre
I thought the new 2010 DVD had this feature. allowing you to use it while on the move.
I checked my disc and it says "Jaguar 2009-2010" and has the limitation...So the question is, does anyone NOT have the limitation and if so, what disc do they have?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

This is most odd. The UK guys have loaned out their newer disk at meets just to let people remove that limitation. You just need to borrow the disk once, to load the newer firmware, then you can go back to your old disk for its maps. Seems you guys need to borrow/buy a UK disk - but surely not???

You could at least join the UK forum (I don't get a kickback lol, besides it's free) and ask someone to confirm I've got it right.

The following users liked this post:
Bacardi 151 (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
This is most odd. The UK guys have loaned out their newer disk at meets just to let people remove that limitation. You just need to borrow the disk once, to load the newer firmware, then you can go back to your old disk for its maps. Seems you guys need to borrow/buy a UK disk - but surely not???

You could at least join the UK forum (I don't get a kickback lol, besides it's free) and ask someone to confirm I've got it right.
Thanks, I'll do that at some point. In the interest of accurate info, does anyone have a "2010-2011" US disc and if so, did it remove the limitation? I was considering upgrading to the 2011-2012 when it comes out...

Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Default 2011 XF Supercharged

I got this car one month ago and have tried to get rid of this limitation on the navi while driving but still not able to have this settled. Got an appointment with the dealer as the sales guy said he could help me to have this removed and I could use it right away...wish me good luck and I would update if I am lucky!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I've got a 2008-2009 disk and it is still on there

Stupid US lawyers

Quick Reply: Removing the Navigation limitation on entry while driving?