S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the Passenger Side Interior Wood

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

club, nice pics thank you for posting.. I have 1 more question though, how are the clips secured to the wood trim panel?

Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Sorry I was not clear. The clips just have metal fingers that grip the trim panel. They hold by friction. When you pry out the panel it's a battle between the clip pulling off the face plate or pulling out of the dash. It looks like the clips are suppose to stay in the dash. Mine came out that way and the several used face plates I looked at also had no clips attached.

Attached Thumbnails Removing the Passenger Side Interior Wood-metal-mounting-tab.jpg   Removing the Passenger Side Interior Wood-metal-mounting-tab1.jpg   Removing the Passenger Side Interior Wood-metal-mounting-tab2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Thank you... I see how all that works now, great pics!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Wanted to update and finish this off. I got the two dash pieces refinished thru my local Jaguar dealer. They said 3 to 5 days but it took almost 3 weeks?? They sent it off to Madera in California. They did a great job and it is perfect!! Cost $360 to do both driver and passenger side wood. I looked very carefully before and after and I believe they replaced the wood completely. The wood veneer was installed better than the factory did! I could see the edges were more finished where the factory wood had some small slits/splits in the tight corners where it would be tough to bend the veneer around and glue down.

Here is a link to the Madera website. You might save some money by going directly to them?

http://tinyurl.com/35wt7pj

Install was easy, just push the panel on the clips in the dash. Do the driver’s side first so you can set the gap between the panels. The driver’s side has to go in only one spot while the passenger side can be slid side to side a small amount. This will adjust the gap between the two dash pieces. I followed Brutals suggestion and applied silicone grease to the clips before installing the dash pieces. So far so good. I don't seem to have any new noises although I can push on the wood and get some creaking sounds. No noise when driving!!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent, just what I needed to know as I am planning on undertaking a refinishing project at some point...

Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Glad it was helpful!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sure gave me direction. Now I need to man up and actually undertake it. I'm not super great when it comes to the removal of any kind of trim. Usually a little impatient. I have to replace the two rear door cards on my M5 (installing rear sunshades) and I am petrified of breaking any plastic clips. Maybe if that goes well...ill attempt the jag. My fiance *hates* the wood and she actually asked me to do something with it. How does the door trim come out? Just pops out too?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Very good info in this thread,

I am doing some stuff on my interior right now, and clips holding the dash pieces on seem identical to the ones which hold the door wood trim on,

The difference is, you can get at the clips from the back rather easily once the door panel is off, and there is a trick to prying them off very easily,

But the dash pieces has me worried, these clips are ungodly strong, I can't imagine unclipping the airbag cover by pulling directly on it, not looking forward to it, but theres gotta be a trick to getting in there, a pick will probably do it, will report once ive got it,

Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Well I posted that over 2 years ago and I must say using the Silicone lube as Brutal suggested is a good idea. After time things settled into place and I have no creaks or groans from the dash wood panels. The repair has held up well with no cracks or fading. I did get my shifter surround redone because it also cracked. Again I used Madera for the repair and sent it directly to them bypassing the dealer.

Talking to Madera directly they claim all the factory clear coat will crack sooner or later. They supposedly use a better product that will last longer. I don't know about that but their finish is equal or better than the factory. They did break a mounting tab for the chrome trim on my shifter surround. I sent them pictures of the damage but no reply.

I again would warn that unless you MUST take the wood dash pieces off - DON’T! You run a real risk of cracking the finish. You won't hurt the panel because it's made from cast metal.

Why are you removing them?

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-12-2016)
Old 08-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Well, my comprehensive interior project on the STR is well underway,

Yesterday, I pulled most of the interior apart, and retrieved all the wood trim from inside the cabin,

The wood trim on the dash wasn't too difficult at all to remove. I started with the long driverside trim, which came off easily enough.
The passenger side trim over the airbag was now more accessible from the side, so that also came off with relative ease,

I am converting my interior to mostly black, and swapping the wood for aluminum trim,

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-12-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R
Well, my comprehensive interior project on the STR is well underway,

Yesterday, I pulled most of the interior apart, and retrieved all the wood trim from inside the cabin,

The wood trim on the dash wasn't too difficult at all to remove. I started with the long driverside trim, which came off easily enough.
The passenger side trim over the airbag was now more accessible from the side, so that also came off with relative ease,

I am converting my interior to mostly black, and swapping the wood for aluminum trim,
I found this thread as I was trying to find out how to remove the passengers air bag facia.

I have just removed all the Aluminium and fitted some lovely Burr Walnut in my STR, and now it is a true Jaguar!

Old 01-11-2016, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

This kind of funny. About a week ago I got the long crack in the glove box panel exactly like that shown here. Makes no sense to me since I believe the veneer is laminated to the cast aluminum? It was on the driver's side.

I bought some of the aluminum special finish panels from another user here about 2 years ago and I'm going to swap those in finally. I never liked the blacked out wood.

Just weird that this cracked. It's been a warm winter here too?

Old 01-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the wood is laminated to the Aluminum backing panel. It's the clear that cracks not the wood. I thought Madera replaced the wood but they don't. The refinish the wood.

I also don't understand why mine cracked? It's been several years (at least 4 years+) since I got it fixed and plenty of cold/hot weather cycles and it it's still perfect. So maybe Madera does use a better product than Jaguar does.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default My Kitty bites.

I've had the gauge side of the panel off for a speedo repair and yes those retaining clips are a pain. Half release the pins from the panel and half put the retainers right out of the dash!

But I didn't touch the airbag one.

So just just disconnecting the battery is enough of a safety precaution.

Sure would be a shame to be killed by jaguar WO even seeing any of South American first!

Old 09-09-2023, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, how do you remove the two fabric straps behind the wood trim? The photos show the straps attached to the inside/back.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:55 AM
Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ampiko
Hello, how do you remove the two fabric straps behind the wood trim? The photos show the straps attached to the inside/back.
drift out the pin using an old drill.