S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced tranny with rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced tranny with rebuilt

Hello Guys, I replaced the tranny on a 2000 S type 6 cyl with a rebuilt and not not driving well. I read a post that the TCM is inside the tranny and needs to be reprogrammed with the DME or ECU? Will taking my original TCM from the old tranny and placing it into the rebuilt solve any coding issues, if it is one? Where is the TCM located inside the tranny is this is true.

Thanks for any help on this.

Zack

Last edited by GGG; 07-19-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: edit typo in thread title so it appears in searches
Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Is it a drivability or trans shifting issue? If the drivability is related to the trans - whomever rebuilt the trans could have screwed up.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 8,194 Likes on 4,941 Posts

You have a FORD PTEC (powertrain electronic control) and the TCM is NOT a separate part from the ECM but a combined unit.

The 'mechatronics' is a later ZF6HP26 valve body/TCM.

bob gauff

Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM

sorry for my stupid question guys, so lets say the shop rebuilt the tranny properly, and its a shifting issue, which seems to be, do I need to code the new tranny of anything thats inside the tranny? Or no for my model, it should be plug and play? Sorry once again and thank you for support.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You have a FORD PTEC (powertrain electronic control) and the TCM is NOT a separate part from the ECM but a combined unit.

The 'mechatronics' is a later ZF6HP26 valve body/TCM.

bob gauff
So what does this mean? I dont need any coding done at all? So theres no modules inside the trans?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 AM

Just noticed your from Bayonne I used ot live on Orient st, went to BHS grad of 94, you wouldnt happen to know Accurate Transmission would you? Thats not where I got this job done, but hes an old buddy of mine. Nice meeting you partner.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just rebuilt my 1st automatic ever ... a 2000 Lincoln LS 3.0 liter 5R55N 5 speed which I installed in my 2000 S-type 3.0 liter with a 5R55N 5 speed. They are identical transmissions down to the 24 tooth sun gear and the ohms on the sensors. I'm not a transmission guy, but I can read specs and follow them. Mine is working perfectly. Did the shop use Mercon V or compatible fluid? Did they top off the fluid with the engine running? Is the 15 amp fuse F106 good? Even if it is rebuilt properly there are variables such as these that could cause "issues".

The following 2 users liked this post by 65ras:
Jag1175 (07-03-2012), mikestype (08-04-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 AM

Thank you rad and will confirm all of the Above, I just wanted to make sure that there isnt any coding involved that Im missing before I start looking at mechanical issues. I will look at all of the above, thank you for the response partner.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jag1175
Just noticed your from Bayonne I used ot live on Orient st, went to BHS grad of 94, you wouldnt happen to know Accurate Transmission would you? Thats not where I got this job done, but hes an old buddy of mine. Nice meeting you partner.
Yes, I'm familar with Accurate Transmissions - they rebuilt my Mercury Cougar many years ago. I decided to go with Borker Trans for my 00 S Type trans rebuild - I had them install a Jasper rebuilt unit... good meeting you as well.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 AM

sorry for my stupid question guys, so lets say the shop rebuilt the tranny properly, and its a shifting issue, which seems to be, do I need to code the new tranny of anything thats inside the tranny? Or no for my model, it should be plug and play? Sorry once again and thank you for support.
Two things - if it's a shifting issue like delays, etc - this could be due to the "adaptive learning" having nothing to go with. Check the forum for threads on this and how to "teach" the trans module. Second, just because the trans shop rebuilt the unit doesn't mean they were perfect. Take the car back to the trans shop and let them figure it out for you - I'm sure you have some kind of warranty with the rebuilt trans...

Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,952 Posts

As was already posted, the 1999-2002 do not have any module inside the trans and no coding is needed or available for it (since it doesn't exist). If you're inclined to check this look at the electrical guide for the later cars then compare with the earlier and see all the stuff that just isn't there. (Or read JTIS.)

However, any time the battery's been off the PCM loses all its learned data about the engine so needs to relearn. Should not take long and then all should be good. If it's not, sounds like a fault remains. (Low trans fluid or whatever.)

Old 07-04-2012, 03:36 PM

little more update, seems the car takes way too long to **** out of first, then rushes thru 2nd in a seconds and shifts to 3rd and stays. all fluids are good.

I got a DTC of p0775 but to be fair I had this code before the newly rebuilt tran, I erased it and it came back with the new tran. Now Im suspecting some wiring to the tran as both old and rebuilt trans gave this same code.

Bonano, Accurate trans (Rony) is Chuck Wepners (the real rocky) good friend, if you noticed all the boxing picture inside his office space.

Happy fourth everyone.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 PM

little more update, seems the car takes way too long to **** out of first, then rushes thru 2nd in a seconds and shifts to 3rd and stays. all fluids are good.

I got a DTC of p0775 but to be fair I had this code before the newly rebuilt tran, I erased it and it came back with the new tran. Now Im suspecting some wiring to the tran as both old and rebuilt trans gave this same code.

Bonano, Accurate trans (Rony) is Chuck Wepners (the real rocky) good friend, if you noticed all the boxing picture inside his office space.

Happy fourth everyone.
There is certainly something wrong with your new trans - sounds like the solenoid pack - if the P0775 came back with the new trans then they didn't fully rebuild the trans the right way (solenoid pack - should have R&R) or you have a loose or not connected wire. (Pan has to be dropped to double check all those connections)

Secondly, was the Torque Converter rebuilt, brand new or did they use the same one from the old trans - this could be an issue as well.

As I said before - If I was in your position I would bring the car back to the shop and let them drive it & figure it out for you.

Last edited by abonano; 07-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikestype (08-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM

Should of mentioned It was a different trans, to avoid longer downtime, they got me the same trans, rebuilt it and was only down for 1 day for a switch out. I probably will bring it back, theyre not near me thats why been trying to figure this problem out myself. Im suspicious now of bad wiring as both trans had the same solenoid code. Will trace the wires all the way back to the modules, and see if I see any visible damage. If it was a wiring issue, then I just rebuilt the tranny for no reason. Or both trannys have a bad solenoid pack.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Should of mentioned It was a different trans, to avoid longer downtime, they got me the same trans, rebuilt it and was only down for 1 day for a switch out. I probably will bring it back, theyre not near me thats why been trying to figure this problem out myself. Im suspicious now of bad wiring as both trans had the same solenoid code. Will trace the wires all the way back to the modules, and see if I see any visible damage. If it was a wiring issue, then I just rebuilt the tranny for no reason. Or both trannys have a bad solenoid pack.
If your trans was only down for one day - I can guarantee you they didn't rebuild it or they rebuilt it half ***. Sounds like they installed a used trans w/o rebuilding it and took a gamble.

Secondly, the wiring going into the solenoid pack is inside the trans - you have to drop the trans pan to get access to that harness.

Back to my original point - I was highly suspect regarding the replacement trans being rebuilt to begin with - I would also state it sounds like they used the same TC also...

Finally, yes, it is quite possible both transmissions have issues with the solenoid pack - this is quite common on the 5R55N trans. That's why many reputable shops rebuild the soleniod pack with Sonax parts or install a rebuilt or new unit. Same with the TC...

I would call the shop and ask them to detail exactly was was "rebuilt" with the other trans focusing on the solenoid pack, springs, gaskets, etc.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Forgot to mention the one important difference between Lincoln 5R55N and Jag ... the shift lever on the trans is around 2 3/8" on Lincoln and 1 1/2" on Jag. So anyone replacing with the same trans out of another model with same engine size should check trans shift lever length.

mikestype (08-04-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 03:42 AM

Hey guys small update, the car is currently at the shop, the tranny was switched out for sure. I kinda feel I wish I would have used the original. But like I said to save time, they replaced the tranny rather then rebuilding the Orig.

Currently they are thinking its the Engine Module and waiting for a new one to be coded tomorrow. Will def update you guys on this messy situation. Once its solved.

The GM was a used one, anyone know the process of coding these? A locksmith is stopping by, so Im assuming its the Key code to be written to the GM.

Curious to know what tools they will use to marry this GM to the car.

I personally dont think its the GM but well see what happens tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:51 PM

The disaster continues, they were changing the Engine module because of a sudden misfire in the engine after the tranny change. They install the new module and still the car is misfiring. Can anything while doing the tranny do this to the engine? Iam guessing something happened with the MAF or maybe crank sensors. I hope they figure it out soon.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,952 Posts

It's hardly ever the PCM as has been posted here numerous times.

No codes? Any unset monitors?

The shop sound useless...

About time you put car info in your User CP.

mikestype (08-04-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 AM

The disaster continues, they were changing the Engine module because of a sudden misfire in the engine after the tranny change. They install the new module and still the car is misfiring. Can anything while doing the tranny do this to the engine? Iam guessing something happened with the MAF or maybe crank sensors. I hope they figure it out soon.
I agree with JagV8 - The odds of the PCM going south because of a trans change is extremely remote, at best. You need to get those coils tested. I stick with my original statement - that shop (which does sound useless +1 JagV8) screwed up that install and rebuild. Good Luck.

mikestype (08-04-2012)

Quick Reply: Replaced tranny with rebuilt