Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing coils lead to hidden hoses

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default replacing coils lead to hidden hoses

Hello,
Been getting help from JoycesJag which is very much appreciated. Finally got to changing the coils and have discovered some other issues needing attention. Have put up a picture album called manifold for review and any suggestions appreciated. My issue right now is a lower hose by bottom of radiator. Cannot seem to figure out if cooling for trans fluid or what but as you can see in this pic it has completely split from its metal clamp and has to be replaced. My question is whats going to happen when I take it off, or what will spill out. If trans fluid then what? have to replace it but how much? Any help as always grateful.

After looking at it and trying to save some time and effort, can I just move the clamp to the good part of the hose and will that work to keep it tight? The clamp right now is attached to the body of the car with a screw I would guess for support.
Amadauss

Attached Thumbnails replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-hose-lower-003.jpg  

Last edited by Amadauss; 04-05-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling and possible fix
Old 04-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like exactly the same issue I've got at the moment. Mine looks to be coming from the A/C compressor. You should find that braided hose connects to it. I've noticed the drips along the bottom of the radiator and coming off the cross member.

It has been dripping from the hose that runs under the radiator, under the lower radiator hose and up to the A/C Compressor. Texture of a very 'liquid/watery oil).

Having a proper look tomorrow.

Car (I think) is retaining coolant though after testing and no issues with any shifting so unlikely to be trans..

Last edited by Stav_98; 04-05-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Judging by your pictures Mike, I am going to take a guess, that line is for your power steering. You had mentioned "red" colored fluid. Can you get up under the car and follow where it starts and goes to? Due to the fact that yours is an 03 it is different than our 05. If you still cannot figure it out, I will put Joyces Jag up and look at hers, but I would rather not. The hose that you are having questions with, is not very visable on a vehicle that has all the covers and manifold intact.

Somewhere here someone posted to use the yellow can of "Easy Bake" oven cleaner to cleanse the upper intake. Maybe search "Easy Bake". As far as the the lower (engine) part of manifold, good question as to how to clean..... Whatever you decide be very careful not to drop anything down those ports!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Default correction on year

Rick, its a 2000 S. I will take some pics of the connections and post. Also had a question on this clamp I read here that states to leave it off (I think by Brutal) because it constricts the hoses. Here is a pic of that piece to make sure we are talking about the same thing. And if I remove it, it seems holding down that lower manifold, it has several different types of bolts (pic) and is this correct or should I look for all the same bolts to replace them? The part I ask as needed in pic, it has two hoses going up to it with an electrical connection yet when screwed on to the upper manifold with two screws, it really connects to nothing on the manifold (pic included). I am guessing a sensor but why? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-hose-lower-003.jpg   replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-clamp-support-001.jpg   replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-correct-bolts.jpg   replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-needed-part.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Default cleaning

Rick, do you think I have to do a great deal of cleaning on the ports on the engine? Do not want to drop anything down them and can just wipe off a bit. I can clean up the manifold but if not necessary maybe just wife off very carefully and leave it at that? Also, what type of grease for the gaskets when replacing do you suggest? Thanks very much, Mike

Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

I am still puzzled by pic #1,

#2- Brutal did state to throw it away, I do have 1 of those, and when I did my manifold gaskets I did replace the bracket back to its original place.

#3- I would use that bolt again

#4- I am at a loss.

No grease on the rubber intake gaskets.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM

Here are the rest of hose line pics. Is wrapped in foil and if I follow it all the way, I'm 90 percent sure it ends up going into car where it would connect to back of air conditioning controls. Pic 4 is the other way on drivers side going into something that does have a belt attached and is the lower most metal hose line connecting. Has to be for the coolant I would bet. Do you think I can move that clamp to accomodate the break? or just replace it? Seems like it would be difficult because of location.

Not necessary for change on lower hose line!!! At first look you think the metal tube goes into the rubber with a clamp and rubber continuing as the carrier of the liquid but the metal is constant with the rubber I am guessing as a way to protect and to maybe help keep line somewhat cool so not necessary to move clamp. The rubber protector is cut but my thought is put another clamp on the hose right next to the other that is on the pipe and should be ok.

Stav, if you are sure leak is at the bottom and see it ok, but mine looked like this was the case but it is the L hose on the upper part of the engine in the one pic I posted, you really do not see without the manifold off. I can see how it gets torn depending on how the c clamps are put on because several hoses are very close to each other and could do the tear.

Attached Thumbnails replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-hose-4-other-side.jpg   replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-making-turn-1.jpg   replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-pic-2-hose.jpg   replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-pic-3-hose.jpg  

Last edited by Amadauss; 04-05-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Non Issue!!!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Here is location on back of manifold this part gets attached by two bolts or screws that cannot figure out what exactly it does.

Attached Thumbnails replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-where-screwed-into-manifold.jpg  

Last edited by Amadauss; 04-05-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Rick, one more thing though, that long hose that has the foil and everything, also just took note, does not connect anywhere actually into the radiator and so could it be something other then coolant? Also, to fix the other hose I mentioned was leaking, I have to get past another hose over the top of it. If you take note, there is a very large T type connection that has a hose going out on either side. I need to get that off and it looks like they might be screwed on or somehow snapped in place. Do you or anyone know how to take those apart so I can replace the hose beneath? Here is a pic.

Just left the dealer and the hose is a coolant hose on the top and is L shaped. Will be in tomorrow. Got the lower L hose Bug doc had put directions to replace and the lower gaskets thinking might as well while have it open. The lower hose is part of a big assembly that does carry coolant and the only issue is it is all part of a group of hoses and lines that come as one. 130 dollars. To change it would be a great deal of work and the service guy did say he has yet to ever even order that part for personal or shop use. The lines do look good so why mess. Need to figure out how to move that clamp over. I have the JTIS but wow do I wish I had the parts program the dealer has. It show everything in great detail and would be a God sent for Jag owners to have it doing some of their own stuff. While at the dealer, I did forget to ask him how to take off this T line so any help there would be great. By the way, he also said that bracket that Brutal said was not needed was a non issue and not needed. I did take pics of my step by step and when complete will put an album up for anyone to refer if needed.

OK just went to change the lower gaskets and do not want to sound foolish here but I took the instructions off the site to change that L shaped rubber hose with the lower gaskets and the pic is confusing. It looks by the way it lays out the lower manifold to take off is on the drivers side, but I am thinking it is on the passenger side. Could it be English with the drivers side on the other the U.S.? Not sure what to take off to get to the gaskets. After everything I have done, you would think this is the easy part but its not as far as what cover he is refering to in instructions. If you could take a look at my pics and help appreciated. I am guessing I have to remove the coils and plugs on the side I take off but not sure. Getting desperate and wife is now screaming at me because we now need the car and I should have taken it to the dealer so Please help...

Attached Thumbnails replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-how-take-off-connection.jpg  

Last edited by Amadauss; 04-05-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: update and plead for help
Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM

Besides the rings on the upper manifold, their is a box on the bottom (Pic manifold 4) that contains some items I would guess. Do any of these need attention? Also on Pic 1 another black container somewhat similar to the O ring holders that attach to manifold with electrical connection. Does this need any attention? On ports I am going to clean them and someone had suggested a cleaner but just wondering if anyone has another suggestion. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-manifold-001.jpg   replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-manifold-002.jpg   replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-manifold-003.jpg   replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-manifold-004.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

holy....you asked so many questions I cant even remember what to answer...
1) what did I say to leave off?
2) pipe is ac line(metal with rubber insulation around it)
3) the black part on the back of the intake IS NEEDED, its the manifold absolute pressure sensor
4) under the fuel injection rail it the crankcase breather elbow(large L shape, about the size of your bent over middle finger) change it and the straight rubber fitting on the other end of the pipe it connects too. Theyre big vacuum leakers creating rough idle, misfires and lean engine codes when they deteriorate.
5) dont mess with the upper radiator hose matrix, especially that little plastic turrent on the top that breaks off if you yell at it....if it feels swollen or any weepage, replace it. It comes as an assembly with new thermostat too. Forget the coolant hoses that connect to the throttle body unless they feel thin and weak too. That black box contains all the electronics for the throttle body. Again, dont mess with it..

Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
1) what did I say to leave off?
This bracket on the backside of the intake manifold, and thank you Brutal for clearing up all of the questions!

Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 AM

That must have been a typo cause you do need that. That bracket is specificlly there to protect the back of the fuel rail(fuel pressure sensor) in the event of a front end collision. The engine gets pushed to the firwalls crumple zone and without that bracket it will break the frps off spraying gas all over a hot engine compartment and resulting fire to ensue. I used to have a pic of an stype that this very thing happened to..burned to the ground......so without typo do not remove the bracket!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Brutal, please accept my apologies it was FactoryJaguarTech that had advised to throw that bracket out. Again I am sorry.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 PM

too late I just READ that, and responded...shame on him bad tech, bad bad bad now go to your room and forget dinner.....
We all do stuff that with further info or explanation becomes crystal clear later

Old 04-06-2010, 02:41 PM

Thanks so much for the help. My only issue with messing with the top plastic connection is if off it makes it a lot easier to get at that other hose directly below it. That is leaking and has to be replaced. Will see what I can do to not get near the part that breaks.

I will tell the service tech guy to stop suggesting not to put that other part back, and thanks very much for confirming that part. But lets see, I have been married 26 years, my wife drives the car, Hmmmmmmmm. Just kidding!!!!!!

Just one more question was and this sound foolish, but what exactly do I take off to get to lower gaskets. I think I know but want to confirm. Want to get it done tonight so I'm hoping someone can confirm. Again, thanks very much for the help!!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:45 PM

4 8mm bolts in the lower intake aka fuel injection manifold, carefully turn over as much as possible and remove old orings with a pic and install new

Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks, just to confirm, are these the 4 bolts on this pic?

Attached Thumbnails replacing coils lead to hidden hoses-lower-manifold-bolts.jpg