S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restricted Performance, then Engine Light on STR

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Restricted Performance, then Engine Light on STR

Hello all, well, first reall sort of issue with this car that so far I can't figure out. Last night, I was driving home from my parents place and after about 10 min on the highway, up popped the yellow Restricted Performace light. Now, this has never happened before and the car was running fine. We were in the middle of a snow storm and there was lots of blowing snow. I know these cars hate water and I figured that maybe some snow got into the intake and tripped the light. So, I pulled over, turned off the car, turned it back on and all was good. Then, about 20 min later, still on the highway and one the way home, it came on again, this time accompanied by the engine light. This time, it wouldn't go away with a restart or three. Again, everything was working fine, no rough idle or anything. Anyway, got home, parked and left it. This morning when I went out the lights were still there. No idle issues or anything, sounded smooth as ever. Got to where I was going, turned off, got my stuff, went back home and still the lights were on. Now I know that the Restricted Performance can mean anything from tranny issues to water pumps, but the tranny is smooth, no overheating, nothing like that at all. The only thing I noticed this morning is a little ticking sound from the center/drivers side back of the engine. Now, I know this could be a coil. However, there idle is smooth and as I rev it up, it is still smooth, but the ticking seems to speed up as I give it gas. I seem to remember that this could be the supercharger (bearings or something) but it's running fine, and I seem to remember that actually this ticking has been here for as long as I can remember, it's just a little louder now (or now that there warning lights maybe I'm just hearing better than before!). I am thinking I'm going to disconnect the battery and see what happens, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas! I don't have a scanner, but if I can't figure it out and it doesn't go away after another engine cycle or two I'll either get one or go to my dealer and have them scan it (there really good about these things and a pleasure to deal with so I don't mind going to them!).

Old 02-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Read the codes. They'll clear anyway if the fault's gone. If it hasn't you need to see what's gone bad.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

In situations like this, my bet is always moisture getting into the throttle body. But do indeed get your codes read as your initial step towards resolving your issue. And be sure to tell us what you find out....

Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME AS WELL.
About 1 hour ago, Restricted Performance and CEL. All I was doing was idling at a curb for about 15 minutes and it came on.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:51 PM

Well, I don't think it has been three cycles yet, should be by tonight or tomorrow and then I'll see if the lights are gone. Other than that, the car is just fine as far as I can tell. Drove it today on the highway for about a 45min trip and everything was fine. No strange smells or fluids leaking, no overheating, smooth shifting and the engine sounds the same as far as I can tell. The only thing I could think of would be something like a misfire, but I just had one of those a few months ago and you can sure feel those, plus only the engine light came on and not restricted performance. I guess I shouldn't get too worried until the car has cycled enough to clear the codes if there isn't really a problem. The only thing is that there is that tick from the drivers side of the engine. I wonder if I could have a bad coil? But again, that tick has been there for a long time. Maybe something finally failed! Anyway, if the lights are still there by the end of tomorrow, I guess I'll have to get it scanned. I am tempted to just disconnect the battery and see if the car resets itself and goes back to normal. If the lights stay or come back, then I guess I would know that there is a problem!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

Why wait on having your codes read? Here in the USA, retailers such as Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, and Pep Boys will read your codes at no charge. I assume they also have stores in Canada and they follow the same policy. Yes or no?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gdc000
THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME AS WELL.
About 1 hour ago, Restricted Performance and CEL. All I was doing was idling at a curb for about 15 minutes and it came on.
i bet you got a LEAN code.......depending on what part of L.A. your in, i can shut it off for you. My office is in Torrance

Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Well, like many of the mysteries of the universe, I started the car last night and no more restricted performance. The engine light is still on, but that came on after the restricted performance first showed up so maybe it needs another cycle or two to go away. As for getting codes read here, I don't think anyone does it for free. Last time I needed a code read everywhere I went said that they either can't or that they could but it would cost me. The funny thing was, it was cheapest to have codes read at the dealer!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

You could at least read them with a very cheap ELM327 lead from evilbay

Old 02-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i got mine for 60 dollars on ebay.....this one works well actually..................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Profe...motiveQ5fTools

Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

The elm327 is usually about $30 and then you have the option (if you get keen) to buy add-on software such as EngineCheck. You can then graph sensors such as the O2s. (But any reader's better than none.)

Old 02-09-2010, 03:30 PM

Well, I have been considering getting a reader for a while, just never got around to it. I think if this engine light decides to stay for a while, then I'll just get one. My old mechanic who used to do all the work and upgrades on my mustang used to read my codes on all my cars for free so maybe I'll see if he'll still do it! Although since I got the Jag he is scared to tough it. Says there is to much electronics in it and it's too expensive if he messed something up since he isn't trained on them! Can't really say I blame him on the too expensive if he messed up part! But after all, the light might just decide to go away. These cars sure have a mind of their own sometimes, and that mind is really messed up! When all this happened my wife said, and I quote: "Your car is a freaking women, and it's always PMSing!". I instantly started laughing, and to be honest, I think she's right!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 PM

I just had my 05 STR give me a Restricted Performance message ½ year ago. Resolution was replace both catalytic converters. they where covered under Select warrenty.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:24 PM

We'll, it's been a while but I finally know why the engine light was on. I was driving again today when the restricted performace came on again. So, I called up my mechanic and he said he would read it (for $50, not bad) but he couldn't do it til Friday. So, I decided to stop into Princess Auto (the best auto/mechanical/equipment etc... store in the world!) and they had a a lovely scanner on sale for $99, so, I got it. Since most places here charge at least $100 for a scan, if I use it at least once more it'll pay for itself! Anyway, it pulled P1474 Fan Control (Primary Winding) Circuit. Have no idea what this is or could be. I cleared the code after I got it and we'll see if it comes back. Anyway, any help on what this could be?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member

Winter Jag - being P1... that's a non-generic code so you need the jag definition. Which that one isn't!
This where jtis etc really are worth having. I think you have it so have a look both for its definition and what you do to troubleshoot

Old 02-17-2010, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member

05STR - replaced? Why???? What reason were you given for one let alone both failing? Were you warned that the cause is likely to still be there or did they explain that they'd found AND fixed it? (If so, back to the "why".)

Almost everyone even with 10yr old cars still has their original cats.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 AM

I thought that the Jag code for that was different then the one I found! I do have JTIS so I will have to give it a look! Now, I hope it will work with Windows 7 as that is the only system I have at home! If not, I'll have to go to to my parents place since they still have XP!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

If you can get it installed, at least look for file p20003.pdf in folder data\dtcen and open with any small fast non-javascript PDF reader (avoid acrob@t lol)

Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

We installed Windows 7 in late October. JTIS works fine with it.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
05STR - replaced? Why???? What reason were you given for one let alone both failing? Were you warned that the cause is likely to still be there or did they explain that they'd found AND fixed it? (If so, back to the "why".)

Almost everyone even with 10yr old cars still has their original cats.

They said it was clauged up both banks.. The car ran like a million bucks after they where changed.

Quick Reply: Restricted Performance, then Engine Light on STR