Sponsored by:

retarded timing advise ! what Now .

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 09:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

i m using Icarsoft I930 .
ussualy these are the fuel trim #'s

ALWAYS LTFT BNK 2 HIGH around at least 16.0 % at idle ,

i noticed something interesting this evening after the car sitting in the driveway for a couple of hours
sat in the seat primed the pump for a minute started the car - notice fuel pressure around 374 kpa at idle with scanner DID NOT SET ANY CODES it also felt decent idling better ..

Old 07-29-2020, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
this could be part of your issue. High pressure forces more fuel in causing a rich condition. How are you measuring it? .
scratch my earlier comment. Youre showing lean not rich so the extra pressure isnt causing your lean condition. It would cause a rich condition.

you have to have a vacuum leak somewhere on bank 2. Where are you injecting the smoke during the smoke test? Please describe how you ran the test.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:41 AM

thanks Aarcuda,

injecting smoke through brake booster vacuum line ..

disconnected the air filter duct to throttle body , covered throttle body opening with tape , disconnected vacuum line to brake booster , connected smoke machine to that line .... I can not see any smoke at all except throttle body plate ( there is always some play there i understand )
and yes It has a new fuel filter.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaimster
thanks Aarcuda,

disconnected the air filter duct to throttle body , covered throttle body opening with tape , disconnected vacuum line to brake booster , connected smoke machine to that line .... I can not see any smoke at all except throttle body plate ( there is always some play there i understand )
and yes It has a new fuel filter.
that port might be too small. I disconnected the bigger line at the pcv valve and pug the smoke in there. The amount of leak to cause your lean condition is tiny. I had similar numbers and i missed the leak two or three times i tried the smoke. And I was hunting yard for it because I knew I had a leak due to the stfts. Id suggest running the smoke test on a cold engine first then on a hot engine. and pump it in at the biggest vacuum line you have. Look super close to anything specific only to bank 2 so the bank 2 injectors, bank 2 Intake gaskets, bank 2 exhaust manifold gasket, and bank 2 exhaust pipe connection to the exhaust manifold. Im not sure of the v6 setup.

I also would suggest getting a version of 1.31 SDD because its extremely helpful in diagnosing problems. You can run the motor and look at several parameters simultaneously like the stft and timing and then try spraying carb cleaner around while you look for ANY changes on the o2 voltages and currents. I could see them but they small and there was NO CHANGE in the way the motor sounded. You might need two people- one to spray and one to watch

The following users liked this post:
jaimster (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

ANOTHER ISSUE .. noticed it a couple OF TIMES when filling up with gas at full tank - Car leaks gas - looks like is coming from top of tank , it leaked around a half gallon last time i filled up with fuel. wondering if that is related to he ALWAYS THERE LTFT ON BANK2 HIGH 16.5 at idle it goes down to bellow 5.0 at throttle..
I believe you have vacuum lines or emission lines that run back to the tank. Might be related! Find that leak!!

jaimster (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 10:05 AM

great ! I will follow those suggestions .. another thought : i have seen videos where they introduce propane gas around intake to check the effect on the system , is that a good idea and could i use map gas since i have that ? just a thought !! and Yea I m afraid I DO HAVE AND EMISSIONS LEAK TOO .. WILL look for that too.

I did just bought . V159 JLR MANGOOSE SDD PRO FOR JAGUAR which i m still trying to configure on my computer ( roommate is a software engineer hopefully we can get it working soon )

Thank you Again Aarcuda.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

great ! I will follow those suggestions .. another thought : i have seen videos where they introduce propane gas around intake to check the effect on the system , is that a good idea and could i use map gas since i have that ? just a thought !! and Yea I m afraid I DO HAVE AND EMISSIONS LEAK TOO .. WILL look for that too.

I did just bought . V159 JLR MANGOOSE SDD PRO FOR JAGUAR which i m still trying to configure on my computer ( roommate is a software engineer hopefully we can get it working soon )

Thank you Again Aarcuda.
youll need v 1.31 since that has all the files within it and wont require a subscription.

try to find a link between the gas tank/charcoal canister/vacuum line and bank 2. I betcha theyre related

jaimster (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

And yes I believe I used propane instead of carb cleaner! Map should work the same!

Old 07-29-2020, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

disconnected vacuum line to brake booster , connected smoke machine to that line...
Against my better judgment

Have you tested the brake booster itself? Also, the connection between the vacuum line and booster could be leaking.

I don't think you'd get a valid test by trying to pump smoke into the booster. There's a check valve to hold the vacuum with the engine off. This would stop the reverse flow caused by the smoke machine and hide any leaks. You'd probably have to connect everything as normal, pinch the line closed, and watch the fuel trims on your scanner.

Do NOT drive like this. With the vacuum source removed, you'd typically have 2 or 3 normal boosted brake applications, and then no more assist. Not something you'd want to experience in traffic. Wouldn't look good in court. Just test at idle while parked.

jaimster (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 02:17 PM

correction ; I DID not pumped smoke into the brake booster - I disconnected the line going to the brake booster and there I introduced smoke , I could also SEE smoke coming out of the throttle body button plate !! soon as I removed the duct tape " I COULD SEE SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE PLATE "

i will disconnect that line and tape that off and introduce smoke from the PVC valve opening -

i wonder if i could use this SAME cable with the v 1.31 at this point even if i pay the subscription " JUST NEED TO FIND WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON "

Old 07-30-2020, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

correction ; I DID not pumped smoke into the brake booster - I disconnected the line going to the brake booster and there I introduced smoke , I could also SEE smoke coming out of the throttle body button plate !! soon as I removed the duct tape " I COULD SEE SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE PLATE "

i will disconnect that line and tape that off and introduce smoke from the PVC valve opening -

i wonder if i could use this SAME cable with the v 1.31 at this point even if i pay the subscription " JUST NEED TO FIND WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON "
  • yes you sn use the same cable. Thats the setup I have now

Old 07-30-2020, 09:14 AM

so I DID the smoke test , followed your instructions Aarcuda , man I found NO LEAKS at all...... I m very much leaning into "FUEL TANK LEAK " it has be related to the LEAN condition !! LTFT HIGH on BANK 2 I know that bank its high on compression ,, wonder IF THAT is somehow setting that off too

STARTED thinking.... and searching on line found the following :

2005 S type: seal..buy whole new fuel tank etc for 3..vacuum leak...

Darn. Well, in the recall, they had the chance to seal the tank with the updated part if it would solve the issue, which it likely did for a
while. Since the "repair" is now not sealing, it is a dangerous situation. If the tank cant hold vapors, it can't hold fuel either when full.
A chance of fire. Here is the NHTSA recall report : http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...llsummary.cfm?

rcl_campaign_id=06V418000&prod_id=203804&moduletyp e=VEHICLE&make=JAGUAR&model=S-
TYPE&veh_model_year=2005&searchtype=DrillDown

Cut and paste these links to view.
http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/...guar_stype.htm
The recall states that the tank will be inspected, and resealed with updated parts if it is deemed "resealable", if not, the entire tank
will be replaced.
Do not let up for a minute.
I had a customer with a 90 Dodge caravan that had a brake recall done years ago, and the same issue happened again with the
parts from the recall. This reoccurence happened in 2008, and Dodge made the repair again for free after I discusses the problem

THINK I need to contact JAGUAR again and address this - dangerous situation they need to tell me what is it that they DID ... on the recall work.. i may even have one of the attorneys in my building send them a letter - maybe them I WILL GET THEIR ATTENTION..

Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

You should be able to find out what they do for the recall by finding the actual recall announcement because it spells out the steps to be performed and they must follow those steps so find that bulletin and you’ll know what they did. Did you ever find out where the gas leak is coming from?

Old 07-30-2020, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 635 Likes on 498 Posts

You also might go into a dealer and make an inquiry in person; if Jaguar is like most other Dealer networks, a service writer/manager should be able to pull up the detailed service/warranty history on your S-type. A personal visit always seems to work better than a phone call for some reason.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:09 PM

thanks guys,, in person visit might work better I agree, last time they wouldn't tell me any details at all over the phone - they said they couldn't tell what it was done !! NOT much help at all.

just seems to me the issue still there even if it was DONE .. what if it is the tank or seals again..

Old 07-30-2020, 02:32 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Check out this thread for the fuel tank info https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...g-67253/page2/

Old 07-30-2020, 02:55 PM

I know i have the recall # R176 ..

just got off the phone Jaguar corp.. the only way they can help me would be to take in to a Dealer , i would pay around 180 for diagnostics if determined IT IS A REOCCURRING ISSUE / RECALL they would contact Jaguar corp. and they should be able to take care of it free of charge .. lady on the phone was able to pull history on it :
seals were replaced under warranty back in 2007 . guess i will take it to them and let them DO a diagnostics pay 180 or so.. take it from there ????

Old 12-13-2020, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Any update?