S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Camera with picture displayed on SatNav Screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Reverse Camera with picture displayed on SatNav Screen

I have had a reverses camera installed with the picture displayed on the SatNav screen. Very neat but pricey. If you are interested Google "Successfull reverse camera interface with Touch Screen" which will take you to my post on the Jaguar Forum UK, or go direct to the forum.

Last edited by GGG; 03-09-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: edit typo in thread title so it appears in searches
The following 3 users liked this post by kosta013:
Bad Cattitude (03-10-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-10-2014), ONEsicJAG (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 01:10 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Thanks Kosta, here's a link to the UK post Successful Reverse Camera interface with Touch Screen

Pictures would be nice if you have any.

I'll copy this to the S section so it gets more exposure.

The following users liked this post:
ONEsicJAG (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Very cool. I think I'll give it a try. Do you remember your point of contact or have any pics of the final install? If it's in the trunk I can just leave it in the trunk till it works and then finish the exterior install of the camera with no hassle or effect on the looks/function of the car so this is perfect regardless of the time it takes to complete.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Good share Kosta ... Many thanks ... But any chance of more detailed installation steps, pics etc. Is there anything you can add to your first post? I will slot this away ready for a major venture into the boot area to upgrade some of the "missing links" in my car - eg JaguarVoice, now redundant analogue TV, and ACM or other solution for AUX IN for USB or microSD audio.

Did your installer fit the changeover switch that allows you to toggle between (1) existing touch screen image (2) ext video #1, say DVD or digital TV tuner, and (3) ext video #2, the rear view camera? Perhaps not if you use the reverse light power to auto switch the rear camera feed. Any thoughts on how this switch function may be integrated? The attraction of your installation, as I understand it, is that all the added components are hidden away. If so, I wonder how and where this switch (or a genuine Jag replacement) may be installed?

Any input from others who have completed similar installations which involve maximizing existing Jaguar hardware rather than new head units, but which also add new functionality (like ext audio), would be especially welcome.
Best wishes,
Ken

Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

G'day Ken,

I used a professional installer as I am not tech skilled so I can’t add anything on the tech side. The camera was installed alongside the electric boot release button. I would have preferred it to be further back than it is but getting a good picture dictated where it was placed (see picture). It is to the left of the ‘U’ in Jaguar. At some later time I would like to fit a smaller form camera once a suitable one is available.

The camera wire wherever possible was attached to original harness to avoid broken wire issues from wear and tear in the future, especially from movement at the hinge. This meant running it out on the RHS hinge of the boot lid and then down the side and across the back of the boot (all the way on the harness) to the Satnav /CD Unit rather than taking the shorter route via the LHS hinge where there is no harness.

The NavTool interface unit was installed on the floor of the boot between the LHS tail light and the Satnav/CD unit (see picture). Double-sided tape was used to secure it and it was necessary to use a couple of layers to build the base up to accommodate a slightly raised area of ribbed floor. It is firmly in place.

Provision of wiring for the changeover switch accessory was installed in the boot but I did not have the supplied tacky switch fitted as I want to find a suitable Jaguar switch.

The unit did not work when joined to the rear light wire (as the instructions require) due to how Jaguar wire their cars my Tech explained but this was all over my head. Anyway, he worked out a suitable work around solution by installing a Relay, again, the Tech minded would understand that.

Hope this is useful.

Attached Thumbnails Reverse Camera with picture displayed on SatNav Screen-img_3319.jpg   Reverse Camera with picture displayed on SatNav Screen-img_3317.jpg  

Last edited by kosta013; 03-10-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Upload pictures