Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse light always on

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 04:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Reverse light always on

Hi guys.

As i mention before the car is finally running again. But since the begining of the problem with the PCM i noticed another one, the first day the car din't start i notice in the cluster this two message, "Right tail light failed" and "Failed rear LH Indicator". at that time i noticed those two messages that showed for the first time (a year ago, before changing the PCM and cluster) and they still shows, on friday i noticed that also the Reverse lights are both on, doesn't go off.

Attach pictures of the messages and the reverse lights on
https://www.mediafire.com/view/omlxu...64343.jpg/file
https://www.mediafire.com/view/fpixr...64345.jpg/file
https://www.mediafire.com/view/c7zw1...64441.jpg/file

Does any one know what might be cousing that problem?
What / where do i have to check or change?

thanks for any help

Old 07-04-2022, 08:02 AM
Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Check all rear bulbs. Check for corrosion on any of the connections to the rear lights. Check the spare wheel well is dry. Check fuses.

The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (07-04-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,059 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Definitely check for water in the spare tire well. This is a known problem that can trouble with the electronic modules in the trunk.

Please see these threads with similar symptoms, finally determined to be a blown fuse for other lights. The rear lights can do some funky things when a seemingly unrelated fuse is bad. Also make sure the correct bulbs are fitted, as similar bulbs can be installed but they don't work properly:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ystery-219022/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...llights-53056/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...roblem-154966/

Any chance you have LED bulbs fitted? They can cause new problems, too:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-stay-156557/

S-Type Owner (12-09-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sportston
Check all rear bulbs. Check for corrosion on any of the connections to the rear lights. Check the spare wheel well is dry. Check fuses.
No Corrosion, Spare wheel well is dry, haven't check the fuses

Originally Posted by kr98664
Definitely check for water in the spare tire well. This is a known problem that can trouble with the electronic modules in the trunk.

Please see these threads with similar symptoms, finally determined to be a blown fuse for other lights. The rear lights can do some funky things when a seemingly unrelated fuse is bad. Also make sure the correct bulbs are fitted, as similar bulbs can be installed but they don't work properly:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ystery-219022/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...llights-53056/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...roblem-154966/

Any chance you have LED bulbs fitted? They can cause new problems, too:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-stay-156557/
I will check the fuses, from what i see i'll have to take them out to check them. I have no LED install in the car, all tail lights are original one that my dad had in the car, he only changed head lights to Xenon HID, no other changes to any lights.

i will check bulbs and fuses and let you guys know.

Thanks!!!

Old 07-18-2022, 06:16 PM

The car is finally at home , But ...

still with the electrical problems.

Apart from what I mention before, I noticed this also:

- Front left headlights doesn't work neither high or low
- There's a little bulb I think is in the low right headlight that doesn't shut off (very little bulb).
-Reverse sensors stopped working.
- Alarm stopped working, I have open the car just with the key (I haven't program the fob) and the alarm doesn't kick on. Previously of the PCM damaged I opened the car just with the key and the alarm kicked on.
- Horn stopped working (probably the alarm doesn't make sound because of this)

before the PCM problems all this worked. I haven't got the chance to verify the fuses by my self, the mechanic told me that all of them are ok, he changed some rear turn signal and stop bulbs but still have the message in the cluster, and backup light (reverse light) on, appart from the new things previously mentioned.

The mechanic that install the pcm told me that after checking the fuses he check the rear electronic module and it was damaged and that was causing the problem with the backup light, left rear turn signal and right brake light.

What are the chances that all those problems including the pcm damaged where caused by a jump start made to the car by the first mechanic I brought in to check the car?

Is there another electronic module in the front, middle, upper, lower part of the car that I need to check that probably is damage and causing all this problems appart form fuse boxes (3 boxes, right)?

Thanks for any help

Edit: Can someone post a photo of the front bumper showing the fog ligh and the cover that goes right next to it. Someone in the workshop took both cover out (left and right) and they didn't find them, so the mechanic is going to buy it, need the photo to show him what part is.

Last edited by e_brugal; 07-19-2022 at 11:05 AM. Reason: adding aditional information
Old 07-21-2022, 09:04 AM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

hi
make sure youve got the right bulb
the bulbs on the s-type are odd and the pegs are in different place
check the bulb is correct to the hand book and make sure you put it in right way round
may sound silly but seen this done so many time and they will go in wrong so wasy
cheers
Joe

e_brugal (07-21-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 08:26 AM
Default Electrical problems

Originally Posted by Joedotcom
hi
make sure youve got the right bulb
the bulbs on the s-type are odd and the pegs are in different place
check the bulb is correct to the hand book and make sure you put it in right way round
may sound silly but seen this done so many time and they will go in wrong so wasy
cheers
Joe
I will be checking personally fuses and bulbs tomorrow. Any idea of the other problems that I mention in my last post?

Old 07-24-2022, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Again you need to hook the car up to SDD. It sounds like there are multiple problems now?
As a guess it's possible the REM is causing your brake/tail light problems but we really need the car scanned with SDD to make sure we are not missing something.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Again you need to hook the car up to SDD. It sounds like there are multiple problems now?
As a guess it's possible the REM is causing your brake/tail light problems but we really need the car scanned with SDD to make sure we are not missing something.
Hi, difficult task that you put me lol. Hard to find someone with SDD to scan the car here in my country, I have read in different threads here (jaguarforums) that the SDD won't work on my car because of the year (2001), that I need IDS 124 with a VCM 1 for this year model, correct me if i'm wrong, (navegating alone in this journey here in my country, almost blind folded). So, as I can't find someone with that equipment and software how can I use it in a laptop, what do I need?.

- I found IDS 126 but not 124, does any of you guys have ids 124 or know where can I download it?

- I read that I need a laptop with windows XP, what else do I need to make it work, cables, adapters, etc.

- if someone can post pics of the VCM 1 cable

Thanks Im avance for any help!!!

Old 08-01-2022, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

We have some big threads on SDD. This one might help?
Please spend some time on that as the forum is trying to contain all the SDD/IDS/WDS threads because it's a huge subject and it gets spread all over the place and is hard to read.
SDD Thread

Here is a UK forum with some real nice image files of SDD they have several versions? V125,V128 and V130. This is just about the easiest way to install that monster program SDD! Are you able to use images? I run SDD on Win7 on a dedicated laptop that is connected to the internet.

SDD Virtual Images

SDD if it detects a car that can't use SDD will automatically drop back to IDS. I have only worked on one car that needed IDS so I don't have much experience with it. From what I saw not too different from SDD. I would try maybe V130 it will drop back to IDS. I have seen 1996-2016 year range listed for SDD so your car should be in there.?

Here is V163 in another thread that might help too? This is the one I currently use. I just recently shut the updates off after 3+ years of downloading them.
SDD V163 Download

Are you sure you must use that early software? As I posted above I currently have V160+. As an experiment I loaded up SDD and found a random 2001 S-Type VIN number and everything seems to work fine for me?

Here is where SDD tells me the car is too old to use SDD and the software must drop back to IDS.

I tell it yes and then come to this screen where I input the 2001 VIN manually. Only because I don't have your car here hooked up to SDD!

I circled what version SDD I was using. I was using IDS manually which I DON'T recommend so I had to press yes to continue. Normally IDS would read your VIN and do all this automatically.

Here I am inside IDS and have all options to work on your 2001 S-Type.

I think you could use any version of SDD and it should work fine.
Can you get any of this installed and give it a try?

I use a Mangoose clone cable so no help on the VCM other than to say I have heard that is a better interface tool than the Mangoose clone.
Don't forget about the good power supply either.

Last edited by clubairth1; 08-01-2022 at 09:37 AM.
kr98664 (08-01-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 05:16 PM

We have some big threads on SDD. This one might help?
Please spend some time on that as the forum is trying to contain all the SDD/IDS/WDS threads because it's a huge subject and it gets spread all over the place and is hard to read.
SDD Thread

Thanks!!!!! still pending to check all those links, I will have time this Weekend. Apart from being an architect (also my wife), we are part owners of a Pizzeria in my Town, this two month we where in construction of our new place, and this week we where moving from the old place to the new one. I think I will have time now to spend on the Jag

Today I decided to spend some time checking the problem with the horn/alarm not working. Checked fuse and was good, checked riley and got clicks, it was also good. Decided to verify the horns, found out that it wasn't connected (don't know why, because when I got the car it was working and stopped working before the PCM problem). Was looking for the cable and for my surprise it was one of the cable that was hanging in the front bumper near the right fog lamp that I ask in another thread here almost a year ago, at that time no body knew what that cable was for lol. horn/alarm working now, but one of the two (high or low) is not working, it sounds like i'm killing a duck lol.

thanks for the links I will check them, if i'm lost in something I will ask

Old 08-13-2022, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Well that's funny because I have never had a horn fail in any car I have owned EXCEPT my 2005 S Type R. I had 2 horns fail on that car and I have no idea why?
Maybe just one of those Jaguar things?

But your right that horn sounds terrible with only one of them working!

Old 08-13-2022, 10:17 AM

Well that's funny because I have never had a horn fail in any car I have owned EXCEPT my 2005 S Type R. I had 2 horns fail on that car and I have no idea why?
Maybe just one of those Jaguar things?

But your right that horn sounds terrible with only one of them working!
I think is more of a Ford Problem, 3 days ago the horn of my 2014 Escape stopped working, fuse and riley ok, horn damaged, need to change it.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:11 PM

Hi guys, have any of you heard of this guys or have some experiences with them?

https://www.britishdiagnostics.co.uk/collections/all

They sell a kit with the IDS with cable. and from what i see is compatible with S types and others.
https://www.britishdiagnostics.co.uk...-compatibility

any thoughts?

@clubairth1 Read the first link, end up with a headache lol, i will start reading the second link "SDD Virtual Images" and see if it's more Eric Friendly lol. But just in case if any of you know those guys let me know probably going that route will be easier for me.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Yes many have used them. I have no experience. I did look at them and they did claim a 1 year warranty.
I still think it's a use at your own risk thing.

e_brugal (08-16-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:13 AM

Some time without update: As i mention in another thread, the fuel pump suddenly stopped working. yesterday changed it with a new one. solved the fuel pump problem and the gas level problem . car now working again. but still not road friendly lol. need to change tyres, brake pads, rectify brake disks and solve the problem with left front lights (High low and fog not working only on this side, don't know if the front electronic module is damage) and rear lights (this last assuming that is the REM damage) to finally take it to the streets.

still haven't managed to scan the car with SDD/ IDS, i download the installers that @clubairth1 post but haven't found the cables to connect from the laptop to the car.

Does the REM controls the reverse sensors? they stopped woking at the exact same time as the rear lights problems began

Old 12-09-2022, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by e_brugal
Does the REM controls the reverse sensors? they stopped working at the exact same time as the rear lights problems began
Not really, but they are interconnected. The system is controlled by a separate Parking Aid Control Module as seen here, figure 18.1:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...x2022001en.pdf

When the RECM turns on the reverse lights, this also sends a signal to the Parking Aid Control Module. See figure 08.2. No signal = no reverse parking aid. Curiously, this signal comes from the switched ground for the reverse light on the left side only. I'd have thought the signal would have been via bus communication between the modules.

Double check the inhibit switch on the overhead wasn't accidentally pressed.

Old 12-11-2022, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Well for about $70 you can get a Mangoose clone cable that will work great for reading codes which is where your at right now.
Mangoose Clone Cable
The vendor is British Diagnostics and they do guarantee their cable?
Note that is NOT the one I use.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:55 AM

Not really, but they are interconnected. The system is controlled by a separate Parking Aid Control Module as seen here, figure 18.1:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...x2022001en.pdf

When the RECM turns on the reverse lights, this also sends a signal to the Parking Aid Control Module. See figure 08.2. No signal = no reverse parking aid. Curiously, this signal comes from the switched ground for the reverse light on the left side only. I'd have thought the signal would have been via bus communication between the modules.
So, in case the REM is damaged it can couse the the parking sensor stop working. one of the problems showing is the reverse light, i had to disconnect them, as they are not connected the parking aid control module is not receiving any signal to turn the sensors on. i will check that, thanks

Double check the inhibit switch on the overhead wasn't accidentally pressed.
where's that switch located?

Well for about $70 you can get a Mangoose clone cable that will work great for reading codes which is where your at right now.
Mangoose Clone Cable
The vendor is British Diagnostics and they do guarantee their cable?
Note that is NOT the one I use.
I subcribed to their page, try to contact them several times when i was searching for the SDD/ IDS as they sell a package of the software and the cable, got no answer from them and i lost trust.

Have someone bought from them recently?

Old 12-12-2022, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by e_brugal
where's that switch located?
The switch for the parking aid system is located on the overhead console.

edit: Here’s an image shamelessly stolen from eBay. The switch is labeled R OFF:

Last edited by kr98664; 12-12-2022 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Reverse light always on